• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauces & toppings for steak

Fresser

A well cooked and seasoned steak stands on it's own if the meat is of good quality. It doesn't NEED anything. However a sauce on the side whether it's bernaise, marchand de vin, au poivre, chimmichurri or another, creates a nice variety of experience and gives the diner the opportunity to add another flavor dimension to his or her meal while still enabling them to enjoy and appreciate the beef's natural flavor. Why Not?

I'd only put a hat on my steak if it's REALLY cold.

OH NO!!! Hats of Meat, For Meat!!

That is really funny, especially the base-bull cap made of ground beef with a flank steak visor :laugh:

Maybe I'll make one for the Baltimore get-together in April. :laugh:

I bet that in Milwaukee they'd make a bratwurst hat. :wacko:

Is it true that in Milwaukee hot dogs are known as "tube steaks"?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Is it true that in Milwaukee hot dogs are known as "tube steaks"?

They're all "Tube Steaks " everywhere :biggrin:

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I tend to prefer my steak to stand alone but recently I added some Foie Gras Butter that I had left over - Sublime if a little rich :wink: I'd probably recommend this more for fillet or another cut with a little less flavour.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

ok Chimichurri yumm on charred london broil

We top our grass fed all strip steak w. a compound butter of shallots, thyme & anchovy the anchovy really does something special it's like an elusive whisper of goodness

I had a steak in some Neo Asian restaurant in London that came with 3 small dishes one had coarse salt the other coarse black pepper and the third lime juice, you dipped teh steak in to the lime juice then salt & pepper it was so so good

I am not a huge fan of the cheese on steak thing too rich for me, but the chimchurri or a good squeeze of lemon or lime on grilled steak fantastic ( when I do them on my own sometimes i'll rub the steak with some anchovy & garlic befgore grilling then bit of black pepper & lemon juice when the just come off the grill)

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Moutarde.  Not the English stuff- Dijon (fine ground) or German Estragon Senf.

YESSSSSS! Also a Polish mustard with horseradish that I've found at a local ethnic grocer is fabulous.

Chimichurri is good too. I prefer the compound butter toppings for less flavorful cuts. I occasionally like shallots and wild mushrooms with a bit of fresh herbs sauteed in just a smidgen of good EVOO too. Yum. I've also been known to make the mushrooms and end up delglazing the pan with balsamic and tossing it on top of baby spinach for a warm wilted salad on the side of my steak as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hmmm...

Nothing

Salt

Salt/Pepper

Butter

A HUGE pile of sauted-till-they're-soft onions - smother the steak!

My propietary spice mix - just a cajun-spice clone from Prudhomme. Pat it on thick and grill it :)

A HUGE pile of sauted mushrooms :)

I had a steak in some Neo Asian restaurant in London that came with 3 small dishes one had coarse salt the other coarse black pepper and the third lime juice, you dipped teh steak in to the lime juice then salt & pepper it was so so good

I made this same sauce? dip? (with a recipe from Hot Sour Salty Sweet) and used it with boiled oxtails, it was incredible, never thought about it with steak though.

Would be great with steak pulled off the grill!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

When The Queen (she doesn't like rare meat and spicy hurts her gums) isn't around at london-broil-time, I like it black and blue with a dipping sauce that my brother showed me. Mix Chinese mustard powder with water and let stand about a half hour or so. Then add some of that to light soy sauce.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Shoyu and wasabi on the side for thinly sliced strip steak, black and blue. Or a pile of gomasio. Or a Dijon dipping sauce with mirin.

Nothing atop.

Unless...

BUL-BO-GIIIIIIIII!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I like some roast squishy garlic with my steak.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa