• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

many don't consider his remarks "sexist/racist"... a lot of people talk/act just like he does, including me, and i've very rarely been labeled "sexist/racist . again, if people are going to pass judgment based on some sound-bites from a "reality" show, then perhaps they're predisposed to hearing what they want to hear. ..."

Well, at the risk of ruffling some feathers of established members, I must respond to Tommy's defense of Rocco's behavior. That's the sort of behavior that helps perpetuate a lack of professionalism in the restauarant industry! Hopefully, you don't "talk/act " that way with customers and staff? (Would love to get on my high horse and give a moral/ethical dissertation here, but sense this isn't the place.) :rolleyes:

I'd like to think that most people don't get their "reality" from TV, but I don't know. Yes, The Restaurant can come off as lighthearted, foolish, "irritainment" (love that) to many. But, you know there's a good portion of people out there, who will think it's so, 'cause they saw Rocco do it or say it on TV!

I can relate with Rocco on some issues. I can empathize with him. I've made some of the same mistakes (just not on national TV). But I have to say in the end he came off looking like a buffoon - lacking in people skills, financial management (even with AM/EX) and most of all professionalism.

"The Restaurant" - A sorry representation of an industry that deserves more respect and credibility.

Ever optimistic, I say maybe he'll redeem himself in part ll?

Ever optimistic, I say maybe he'll redeem himself in part ll?

Only if he gets a personality transplant.

He did what he did because of how he is.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

many don't consider his remarks "sexist/racist"... a lot of people talk/act just like he does, including me, and i've very rarely been labeled "sexist/racist . again, if people are going to pass judgment based on some sound-bites from a "reality" show, then perhaps they're predisposed to hearing what they want to hear. ..."

Well, at the risk of ruffling some feathers of established members, I must respond to Tommy's defense of Rocco's behavior.

i'm not defending his behavior. i just don't think it's fair to label the man sexist or racist.

and as far as feathers, don't worry, i've been here so long that i don't have any. :biggrin: i'm totally plucked.

i'm not defending his behavior.  i just don't think it's fair to label the man sexist or racist.

Really "dumb" is a much better catch-all.

Then again, he's made himself rich. Can't be TOO dumb.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

In regards to jumping on the bashing bandwagon...I started watching the restaurant because I created one myself in my younger years and thought it would be interesting summer viewing. After a couple of episodes of never sitting down through the whole show and cringing with amazing about how awful the whole thing was, I went looking on the internet for like-minded individuals. I was astonished how long it took me to get around all the raves until I finally found my people at egullet. It was a breath of fresh air to not have to reread the pathetic spins but the cynics calling it like they saw it. The odd circus it was with little regard for the food. I too am going to miss this thread way more that the show. Thanks for the entertainment, ah not irritainment...Jenna

i'm not defending his behavior.  i just don't think it's fair to label the man sexist or racist.

rich people do really stupid stuff too. :smile:

:unsure: This is probably going to result in my guts skewered over charcoal, but at what price fame? If you ain't got your pride in yourself at the end of the day, whatcha got? Money? BFD! Money comes and goes, but your pride in yourself, and the way you handle your actions with those you surround yourself with- that lasts; sometimes beyond you.

:unsure: This is probably going to result in my guts skewered over charcoal, but at what price fame? If you ain't got your pride in yourself at the end of the day, whatcha got? Money? BFD! Money comes and goes, but your pride in yourself, and the way you handle your actions with those you surround yourself with- that lasts; sometimes beyond you.

:unsure: doesn't self-pride come and go too?

Just to clarify - I never labeled Rocco as "sexist/racist." I referred to his behavior pertaining to the last episode with the black women, that had already been commented on as sexist and racist.

If I were to label Rocco, I would say he's an unprofessional and unsophisticated, risk taker. (good, bad or indifferent - take your pick)One might say how could a chef with an already successful restaurant in NY City be called unsophisticated? Well, I think he's probably been swimming in his own little fish bowl for too long. He may be well versed in certain types of cooking, certain areas of NY City and his Mama's Italian heritage; but there's a whole big wide world out there beyond that. It happens to all of us - call it a case of egocentrism complicated by ethnocentrism.

Maybe he should come to New England for the Fall and observe a whole different way of life. Or, maybe "The Restaurant" should be called "The Restaurant, NY City" a la "CSI, Miami." I supoose I should take that back - don't want to offend all the New Yorkers. Never actually been to the Big Apple, except in transit to somewhere else. So, yep, I suffer from my own brand of ethnocentricity. I love New England and the South - just keep me away from the city!

Interesting point - most of my restaurant friends haven't seen the show. They've been too busy working. In NH the weekends are heavy with tourist traffic. No days off for trips to the beach - at least not on the weekend.

Absolutely. Sometimes you look in the mirror and say "What the Hell was I thinking?" particularly when you turn down big bucks in a compromise of your principles. DON'T get me confused with a sellout. But in the long run integrity makes you way more comfortable with your skin (besides not ever requiring rear-view mirrors on your shades). :cool:

I really think the past episodes of "The Restaurant" might best be classified under the all-purpose (or simply perhaps no-purpose) term "irritainment" ... namely:

I think "irritainment" was the name of a WFMU program about five years ago.

rich people do really stupid stuff too. :smile:

See the phrase "made himself rich". That was the smart part. The dumb parts can follow, and have little to do with his financial status.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Mabelline
Okay, things being how they were, let's see how many hands go up for someone serious about cooking, eating, or business, for that matter, who volunteer to join Rocco II as one of his Strange Parade?

You mean for someone who knows what they're doing, can be a professional and is willing to stand up for themselves (and the industry)? Well, it's much easier to be an armchair quarterback, you know.

I would love to be an advisor, but they'd have to keep in contact via email and cell phone. It would be too much culture shock for me to be plunked down in the big city!!

Mabelline
Okay, things being how they were, let's see how many hands go up for someone serious about cooking, eating, or business, for that matter, who volunteer to join Rocco II as one of his Strange Parade?

You mean for someone who knows what they're doing, can be a professional and is willing to stand up for themselves (and the industry)? Well, it's much easier to be an armchair quarterback, you know.

I would love to be an advisor, but they'd have to keep in contact via email and cell phone. It would be too much culture shock for me to be plunked down in the big city!!

Don't crap me about that. I said business, and that means any kind you care to name. If you shit in your own nest, it'll come back on you.