• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

The real problem with the show past and present is that the people taping it don't work in the business and don't know where to look for the drama.  They think it's all about whining waiters and cheap, drunken guests.

If you are the producer who is responsible for "Survivor" which is essentially a success because it's about bitching, moaning and backstabbing, then naturally you assume that this is what "people" want to see in any reality show.

The odd thing is, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" has been a monster hit since the first version of the "The Restaurant", and features none of this activity. You'd think it might teach network execs that there are ways to build a reality show with mass audience appeal which doesn't rely on the wacky antics and misbehavior of a bunch of folks who even Andy Warhol wouldn't have granted "15 minutes of fame" to.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Okay insiders, give us the poop on the item in today's New York Post. ROCKY ROCCO

...sources say the major drama will be a fight between Rocco and his financial backer, Jeffrey Chodorow...
Could this make the show actually worth watching?

The other day, on the the way to the subway, I saw them taping a segment wherein one of the staff was having trouble operating a window washing squeegee. I think they're going for a Peabody Award this season. :laugh:

The real problem with the show past and present is that the people taping it don't work in the business and don't know where to look for the drama.  They think it's all about whining waiters and cheap, drunken guests.

If you are the producer who is responsible for "Survivor" which is essentially a success because it's about bitching, moaning and backstabbing, then naturally you assume that this is what "people" want to see in any reality show.

The odd thing is, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" has been a monster hit since the first version of the "The Restaurant", and features none of this activity. You'd think it might teach network execs that there are ways to build a reality show with mass audience appeal which doesn't rely on the wacky antics and misbehavior of a bunch of folks who even Andy Warhol wouldn't have granted "15 minutes of fame" to.

I don't think you can really put Queer Eye into the reality category though ... any more than Trading Spaces, Room by Room, or This Old House falls in the reality category. Yes, they are taping real people and not fictional characters, but I think that Queer Eye is more of a "how to" show than a reality show. I can't really think of any true reality shows that do not entail all sorts of whining and bitching.

Rocco does a radio interview to promote his new book Flavor... (click me - requires Real Player)

If the direct link to the interview doesn't work, the date of the interview is December 8, 2003 and should be listed somewhere off of this page for the "Murray in the Morning" show. I have no clue who this "Murray" guy is, but apparently he has a radio show and has tons of pointless reality show stars on his program (at least if you go by that index page). Thank you Google for listing this otherwise lost gem fourth if you search for Rocco's name and the word "radio"!

As dumb as the "radio guys" he's speaking to are, the piece is over 20 minutes long. So you get to hear Rocco's "food populism" theories in exquisite detail. For example, Rocco says that a chef's main job is "to make people happy".

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Okay insiders, give us the poop on the item in today's New York Post. ROCKY ROCCO

You don't have enough bandwidth for all the poop! :wacko:

I'd hate to spoil Season 2 for you, but, yeah, Jeffrey and Rocco go at it in front of guests, waiters, and cameras several times. It makes for a nerve-wracking work environment to say the least. I don't think either of them is going to come off very well when this airs. Stay tuned...

The other day, on the the way to the subway, I saw them taping a segment wherein one of the staff was having trouble operating a window washing squeegee. I think they're going for a Peabody Award this season. 

Lord, I think that was our staff trying to get snow off the awning. Did you catch Rocco dancing around in the falling snow, too? :blink:

• 2 months later...

I heard this the other day...it's the key to the 2nd season of The Restaurant. Apparently the cherubic front-of-the-house hearthrob is out, and suits are flying between he and moneyman Jeff Chowdorhow. Anybody heard anything about this? What a freak show that is...and what a waste of a talented chef. Once again, this proves that chefs should be fat.

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

• 1 month later...

For those who haven't been following all along, The discussion of the original show, with some 1500 posts on that topic is here.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Does this mean that the lawsuit stuff between RD and JC that was in the papers last month is a publicity stunt for this new show?

One thing you can be absolutely assured about is that "Mark Burnett" doesn't ever ask questions about any show he is involved in without contriving all the answers.

Both "Rocco' and his Partner are doing very well on this "PRODUCTION" where the actual total expenses and costs for the 12 shows being produced are less then a single episode of "Friends" and much more profitable, plus this will continue to earn for the principals better since residuals are paid to the producers, since there are no actors involved officially. [Ha Ha ]

Who wouldn't want to invest in the total package, there has never been a more blatant tie in with advertisers and promotions previously executed on television thru insinuating that it's a reality show. Translates to lower costs, expenses and larger profit's. Heck there's not even any prizes or pay outs.

What a deal. It sure wouldn't be as profitable on Cable where they don't have the advantages of having advertisers pay rates at inflated prices during a low viewing period.

What's even more annoying and ridiculous is that just because it's about a Restaurant, with Food and Kitchen action of sorts we will probably watch it every week and have fun commenting on all the Goofs going on for each show.

The bewildering part to me is whats with Rocco, he gets away with more then any son with a Italian Mother ever has, I'm surprised that the "Soprano's", haven't intervened to fix that situation. After all "Goombah's", have rules that must be recognized traditionally about respect, remember the "Godfather" or "Goodfellows" even though they probably weren't as profitable.

Irwin :raz::unsure::biggrin:

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

What's even more annoying and ridiculous is that just because it's about a Restaurant, with Food and Kitchen action of sorts we will probably watch it every week and have fun commenting on all the Goofs going on for each show.

I don't think I'll be watching. The first version was so bad I stopped watching after the second one. Gustatorian was right...this show makes me feel like I need a shower. :blink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

• 5 weeks later...

Guys, I've started a thread for the second season:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=41190

It will be easier to track newer developments that way, thanks.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host