• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

However you care to take it. I really find it amazing that I'm having to defend a position of treating your help and your customers with respect and dignity. I stick by it, so there you go. I don't apologize for thinking some of the crap pulled on the help on that show was shameful. There were plenty of hard working, energetic, and sincere people who were reamed in the process of making rocco the "man" of six weeks. That stinks. :cool:

"Mabelline"

Don't crap me about that. I said business, and that means any kind you care to name. If you shit in your own nest, it'll come back on you. "

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here? I thought I gave an honest response. Did I miss something?

You seem a little peeved!

I don't think anyone needs to feel sorry for any of the workers at Rocco's. Many of them have appeared on this board stating that they could (and in some cases did) go back to their old jobs. And others have their own boards where they make it clear that they were as interested, if not moreso, in getting the acting exposure, as the actual restaurant job.

My position all along has been, that in general, "The Restaurant" was a misrepresentation of the restaurant industry. Maybe we have the age old management vs worker conflict going here. I don't know what to say (and that's unusual!). :cool:

I directly replied to not just your comment about armchair quarterbacking but also the nibbles I've gotten all day long about integrity vs. money. Like I said before,money ain't shit. It won't buy you self-respect, nor the respect of others. As an example, I worked a couple of times for Ross Perot(remember him- the nit of all wits) till I caught him reaming two of my employees. We finished the job, then hauled ourselves out of Dodge. All my business associates at the time said you must be crazy, but I felt good. And I'd do it again. :cool:

Aw, come on. Nearly every time something is said about the way the business is affecting the help(and I am not addressing the star trackers-I'm talking about the people who seriously thought that perhaps the'd be part of a class act)there is a corresponding comment about yeah, he's that, but he's getting rich. All I've said the whole time is that money and notiriety won't make you a man/woman. :cool:

Aw, come on. Nearly every time something is said about the way the business is affecting the help(and I am not addressing the star trackers-I'm talking about the people who seriously thought that perhaps the'd be part of a class act)there is a corresponding comment about yeah, he's that, but he's getting rich. All I've said the whole time is that money and notiriety won't make you a man/woman. :cool:

where? jhlurie made a comment about him being dumb, but not so dumb as he's successful. i haven't noticed much else.

A lot of posts had said that the fact that Rocco is getting the exposure and therefore more money is worth the potetnial humiliation he is going through. But I don't think anyone says that justifies the way he treated the employees.

Bill Russell

A lot of posts had said that the fact that Rocco is getting the exposure and therefore more money is worth the potetnial humiliation he is going through.

perhaps they did and i stand corrected. but from the posts surrounding Mabelline's, is seemed that she was almost forcing an issue that didn't exist. making up an argument, so to speak.

What am I to think? Here at this site we have many people who otherwise seem sensible, but when it comes to a really stupid television show (as most are) cannot wait to post some frivolous (aye, meaningless) comment.

Has television reduced everyone to the lowest common denominator?

Edit: Susie says I'm being too harsh. She thinks I'm being an asshole for being so critical. She also thinks that it is almost as bad to spend all this time at eGullet as to watch Rocco. Susie has assisted in this edit. :biggrin:

Edit II. Susie would also like to say that she just came off a tractor after spending five hours raking hay so it could be baled before it rains tonight. There is a little dose of reality.

Edited by Nick (log)

What am I to think? Here at this site we have many people who otherwise seem sensible, but when it comes to a really stupid television show (as most are) cannot wait to post some frivolous (aye, meaningless) comment.

Has television reduced everyone to the lowest common denominator?

Not me. Never watched it and probably never will. I can't even remember when the shows I like are on, never mind tuning into some reality train wreck.

That said, I have enjoyed the hell out of this thread. It's nice to be able to have a pop culture experience vicariously.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

OK Mabelline, I think I know what you're saying. I don't completely agree, but that's all right. Just not used to evoking such a harsh response, but I realize it wasn't all me!

Nick - who the heck is Susie? Are you doing a parody of Mabelline's and my discussion? Or is she for real?

I wouldn't discount the effect of shows like Rocco's on modern culture. It may be a waste of time, so may egullet, but look around - Television, and now the Internet have had a tremendous influence on many of life's daily activities. It beats doing the laundry, paying the bills, and writing a proposal - all of which I've been neglecting to enter into this discussion. (I did make dinner, though.)

And, since I haven't found direct access to immediate feedback from Rocco, this is the next best thing! :raz:

With whom?

I think you missed:

Is that good enough?

Quit it!

Leave her alone, lads. :angry:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I read the "behind the scenes" article about The Restaurant in Gourmet magazine tonight. There seemed to be a theme of "the producers didn't stick to the deal they made" from a lot of the Rocco's employees quoted in the article. It just left me wondering why on earth, if that is in fact true, they'd be willing to do it all over again since the producers would be the same.

Nick - who the heck is Susie? Are you doing a parody of Mabelline's and my discussion? Or is she for real?

Susie's for real. She raked the hay and her ex was doing the baling - complicated story I won't get into. Anyhow, after I wrote the last he showed up at the door (we were just getting ready to eat) and the hay was baled but it was getting dark. So Susie drove the big John Deere hauling the hay wagon and a young feller and I pitched the bales onto the wagon with Dick, the ex, stackin' on the wagon. We got the last bales on just as dark was really settling in. Heavy bales, but it's supposed to rain tonight, so no choice. They'll probably mildew.

But, it was good exercise for this 62 year old smoker - especially when we were loading going up-hill. Gave me an excuse to tell the young feller why he should give up smoking now.

Susie's for real. She raked the hay and her ex was doing the baling - complicated story I won't get into. Anyhow, after I wrote the last he showed up at the door (we were just getting ready to eat) and the hay was baled but it was getting dark. So Susie drove the big John Deere hauling the hay wagon and a young feller and I pitched the bales onto the wagon with Dick, the ex, stackin' on the wagon. We got the last bales on just as dark was really settling in. Heavy bales, but it's supposed to rain tonight, so no choice. They'll probably mildew.

But, it was good exercise for this 62 year old smoker - especially when we were loading going up-hill. Gave me an excuse to tell the young feller why he should give up smoking now.

i thought you promised you wouldn't get into it? :blink:

i thought you promised you wouldn't get into it?  :blink:

Tommy - You can be such an asshole. I meant I wouldn't get into the trip about her raking and her ex baling. The only way you get something is if somebody slams a bat up beside your head.