• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

With J-Lo as head waitress?

My pop culture sensibilities aren't quite what they used to be. :huh:

I've seen J-Lo's pic a few times (usually on tabloid covers) but have no idea (really) who she is.

So, a clue please?

Soba

The latest overhyped media pop-tart of the moment. Half a dozen bad movies and an affair with Ben Affleck that has the general public wishing they'd just shut up and rent a room...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Yes.

And for dating P Diddy (Puff Daddy) and being present when he was implicted in a shooting death.

And for having a big round rear end.

She really is one of the bigger entities in pop culture (which may say something about the state of pop culture.)

She is to singing and acting what Emeril or Rocco (to help get things back on topic) is to cooking. Servicable, famous, but not exactly the best.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

She was quite enjoyable in "Out of Sight" with George Clooney and also in "Selena," although other actresses vying for Oscars probably don't need to stay up nights worrying about her talents.

And as for Ben Affleck's take on why there is such a media frenzy about them, he said that it's because they are an interracial couple, "I am white and she is Puerto Rican and 'white America' can't get beyond that." :laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Remember: J Lo's from Da Bronx, Affleck's a Boston boy, poor Rocco's from Queens. We know who's gonna kick butt. Daredevil and the Bronx win's. After all J Lo's from my favorite TV show, also Jim Carey, Waylan Brothers and others. I'll back up J Lo, anytime, the current movie may sting. But smell's better then Rocco's, IE: Health Report, what wasn't mentioned in the report, is that stuff was possably his Mis-In Plas, for the Meat Ball Sauce. The interview with the waiter was excellent. Probably the most candid accurate report to come out of this whole joke. Since i've predicted ROSSANNE/ROCCO food show, i'll add some other predictions. Rocco's going to complain he's been underpaid. Why, according to the NY Post $$$$$ Article he's ony receiving about $35,000.00 per one Hour performance. He's just realized what other Performers are being paid. Seinfeld. Friends, Fraiser all being paid one million plus per 1/2 hour show, so feel sorry for Rocco he's getting the Business? He's only got 2 more week's to make it. So Rocco will sneak in more item's then the Vespa, want to bet? Rocco's Chefware Jackets and Checkered Pant's becoming big Botique Item. Making nice to Theigh's next popular dating trend.[ It's about time, but Rocco did it first on TV.] Emmy for Comedy Special Series? I'll let others make their predictions.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

So that was Topher.

During the 5 or so minutes that I saw bits of T-R on Sunday, I had an inkling that that was Topher -- during the bit which followed the departure of the waitress from hell -- but I didn't want to voice my T-R newbishness until now.

It's possible things don't follow the formulaic reality show script, and there isn't a happy ending...which would pave the way into a sequel, assuming the numbers justify a sequel and the corporate will is present. (IS there such a thing as a formulaic reality show script?)

Anyway, between a certain...er, inspirational post on this thread, and Patricia's well-executed interview, I'll be watching on Sunday.

See what y'all made me do. :blink::unsure:

Soba

ROSSANNE/ROCCO

1. Hi Wesza, I recognize your writing from elsewhere... I think you're a hoot.. And I think it's RosEanne... not Ross... but carry on, you have a great approach to this whole thing!

2. Soba, thanks for your kind words. and in answer to your query, I will interview anyone. If there is a paper or magazine that will print it, I'll do it. Hope that narrows it down for ya.... :biggrin:

Edited to add: A good JLo pic... Blood & Wine, also starring Jack Nicholson, and Michael Caine in an unusual role... definitely worth a looksee...

Edited by TrishCT (log)

And they are the best thing on the menu because she makes them with love.

Do they happen to bottle this secret ingredient and where can I get a sample? :wink:

Soba

Make your own.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Rocco's is cited.

Rocco DiSpirito's trendy Italian restaurant has new fodder for its reality television series: a health department citation for "evidence of live flies" and greasy spoons.

Rocco's is the subject of the NBC reality show "The Restaurant," which follows its photogenic chef and staff through the travails of running a New York City restaurant. That hassle became all too real on July 29 when the eatery was cited during an impromptu health department inspection for "evidence of live flies" in the kitchen prep area and for keeping two large metal spoons stored in a "container of greasy stagnant water."

The notice of violation was posted on Court TV's The Smoking Gun Web site Monday night. A hearing on the violations has been scheduled for Oct. 22.

Hm. I just had to add the reference for this article I've used in the Weekend Update: "Lord of the Flies."

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

ROSSANNE/ROCCO

2. Soba, thanks for your kind words. and in answer to your query, I will interview anyone. If there is a paper or magazine that will print it, I'll do it.

Hey TrishCT,

How's about a telling little rant from Rocco's former wine steward, a guy who had high hopes for the restaurant and "The Restaurant" and who is utterly disillusioned and humiliated with the outcome of the latter?

I think it would be interesting if Anthony Bourdain entered the picture as a "specialty guest advisor" to Rocco's and helped clean up this train wreck. :smile:

LOL! Tony's too good for Rocco :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

ROSSANNE/ROCCO

2. Soba, thanks for your kind words. and in answer to your query, I will interview anyone. If there is a paper or magazine that will print it, I'll do it.

Hey TrishCT,

How's about a telling little rant from Rocco's former wine steward, a guy who had high hopes for the restaurant and "The Restaurant" and who is utterly disillusioned and humiliated with the outcome of the latter?

My email address is FirstSeLNF@aol.com

:cool:

Just read the interview w/ Topher. Seems odd to me that the staff at Rocco's gets no $ from NBC (or whatever production company put the show together). Doesn't SAG mandate some minimum for appearing on tv?

...was I there?

How's about a telling little rant from Rocco's former wine steward, a guy who had high hopes for the restaurant and "The Restaurant" and  who is utterly disillusioned and humiliated with the outcome of the latter?

you don't mean Fred, do you? he's th ewine dir. at Union pacific and a very nice guy. i was surprised to see him training Rocco's staff, but then again the Union Pacific connection...

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

Slightly better than Cher as far as club music.

And much much much better booty.

not quite convinced that j.lo's any better than cher. re: booty--highly exaggerated, from personal experience.

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse