• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

I wonder if that manky gunk is still dripping from the ceiling?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

$25 for veal parmigiana is criminal. The most rip off place I've ever had it was Dominics in the Bronx, and I think they maybe charged $16.

Sixteen bucks for veal parm and no chance of touching Rocco, you wuz robbed brudda. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Obviously they'll be some tourist business at least for awhile,  ...  never underestimate the power of TeeVee.

Do people still look for the luncheonette in which Seinfeld met his friends? People go to restaurants for the damnest reasons. Food often has little to do with it.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I saw this review of the show last night on NY1. Thought I'd share.

Too often, though, it seems as though producers are dictating the action rather than following it. Instead of the cameras capturing the action as it unfolds, it feels as though the action is unfolding specifically for the cameras.

NY1 review of The Restaurant

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Some financial details about Rocco and The Restaurant...not sure if this info has been previously cited on this thread.  The story was sent to me by my friend Andrea...

=R=

Rocco'$ details

That reminds me, I saw Rocco's mug on a pasta pot at Target this weekend. I can't remember the brand--but there he was on the box "the only pot imported from Italy" or something like that on it.

Challah back!

That reminds me, I saw Rocco's mug on a pasta pot at Target this weekend.  I can't remember the brand--but there he was on the box  "the only pot imported from Italy" or something like that on it.

Ugh...what will the marketing whizzes come up with next?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

From the 8/12/03 NY Daily News

Health Department Check

"Topping the findings of the July 29 inspection is "evidence of live flies" in the kitchen prep area at Rocco's, located at 12 E. 22nd St., records show.

The pretty-boy chef from Queens also was nailed for keeping metal spoons in a "container of greasy stagnant water" - in other words, a greasy spoon violation."

Do you think they staged these violations to make it seem more like "reality tv"? :shock:

On todays channel 7 ABC Noon News there was a short story about a "Food Related Website" Carrying this story. They did not specify which one... :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

In regard to "brand Rocco," does anyone have the new issue of The New Yorker (the family issue)?  Between pages 76 and 77 there's an ad insert for Ruffino and I swear, Rocco is in the ad.  I handed the ad to my husband and said "what do you see?" and his response was "that's Rocco."

My copy arrived today and yes, that's definitely him.

=R=

Note: There is an interview with Topher Goodman, conducted by our user TrishCT, in today's Daily Gullet.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Note: There is an interview with Topher Goodman, conducted by our user TrishCT, in today's Daily Gullet.

Excellent interview...really elicited good responses.

=R=

Thank you Tommy, JH, and Ronnie.  I enjoyed speaking with Topher, he is an interesting man (and plucky).  :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Exceedingly well done, Trish. You're pretty darn "professional and plucky" your own self.

I hope we see more articles from you!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The Restaurant:  The Movie can't be far behind.

Remember, you heard it first on eGullet.

:blink:

Soba

With J-Lo as head waitress? bleah.gif

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak