• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

Sorry, I'm another person who's being pulled from the lurker files into a need to post on this thread. Because of living in another country and a different time zone, I've already seen tonight's (Aug.10) show. You are soo right, it is like watching a train wreck, I don't want to but I can't help it. Tonight's show may take the cake for overly -contrived shlock. As the promos stated it's SuperRocco, it slices, it dices it sautees, it flambes and, wait for it, next week it serves. I admit I have only work in small food-service spaces where front and back of house are close to the same thing and I've worked for some wing-nuts (throwing trays of food and screaming at prep cooks in front of customers come to mind) but I don't know how anyone could work with someone so ambivelent to what is going on around him. I don't want to give away too much but Rocco doesn't seem to know how to deal with other human beings. He doesn't realize how he treats one member of the staff may infuriate others or cause to to expect similar treatment. Isn't that what normally happens?

interestingly enough, someone i used to know worked at union pacific briefly and when he called fron the restaurant he'd say "i'm calling from jail''--a reference to the fact that the staff were not allowed much freedom or many phonecalls from the payphone. i believe there was a "no talk/minimum talk at work" policy, as well. not sure how true it is, definitely very different from what kitchen environment is in most restaurants. would certainly explain lack of relation to staff

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

also probably going to set a record for first-time-posters who offer nothing else to egullet.

Ahhh, you used to say that about me. :wink:

Come to think of it, you probably still think that about me. :raz:

(Edited): because I have a good buzz.

Edited by Lreda (log)

Have to raise a question for this type of reality tv.

When you come to think about it, "The Restaurant" is really a focus on a certain type of job sets that tends to be high-stress oftentimes, and with a high degree of variance at any given point in time. Sure there are other types of jobs out there that are similar, both in the stress factor and the variance factor, but not too many come close that are remotely entertaining in typical Hollywood fashion -- e.g., teaching elementary or high school and air traffic controllers are two examples that come to mind. A third might be "walking a beat as a cop" or "acting as a firefighter", but other views may vary.

And this is the reason, in my view, why all of what I've read thus far -- keep in mind I haven't yet seen the show -- why most of the action, has focused on FOH with a little BOH thrown in -- that is, that type of BOH action that doesn't get in the way of what most people in the BOH are concerned with.

Carry on. :blink:

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

em, having a late dinner.

just walked into the living room, and sure enough, my roommate has it on.

In the five minutes it took me to serve myself, I've heard more beeping than ever on a regular TV show.

Maybe they should've named the show "Beepville". :hmmm:

Soba

I said I wasn't going to watch another episode - but I did. Even though there was only about 40 minutes of "content" in the 60 minutes, I thought it picked up some from last week and the week before. Good to see some BOH stuff and I was impressed by some of the chopping skills. I know this isn't PC, but I was particularly happy to see the departure of that whining little Topher.

coordinator edit

I know this isn't PC, but I was particularly happy to see the departure of that whining little...Topher.

i liked him. he was really funny and my favourite and i hope he comes back. :cool:

also, if most people didn't like him and think he was interesting they wouldn't have focused on him so much. he was the star of the show. :raz:

Edited by MaggieW (log)

Long-time poster, first-time viewer of the Hot Rocco's Cold Food show, and:

1. Boy bettah get some rubber floor mats post haste, as this is how I broke my collarbone many moons ago, and one more person slips BOH, either pretty boy or NBC's looking at a class action suit.

2. If you're gonna swing a big dick in FOH, make sure there's big balls on the line.....chef's line, that is. That poor sweet line cook (Benny? Lenny?) is getting killed in there. Rocco's coming across more masher than Toots Shor during these table schmoozes anyway, so maybe more kitchen time and less personal space violation would be a good business move.

3. Don't live in NYC, so feel free to malign this remark, but aren't some of the basic laws of physics behind this cold food dilemma? Cold air sinks, the kitchen's in the basement and kids are rushing plates through a maze and upstairs to diners? Seems like the large-scale equivalent of blowing on your soup spoon.

And yes, we are pandering to the tube, Nick. After the aforementioned product placement and media buys that pandered so shamelessly to you, it's like shooting fish in a barrel for some savvy marketeer. There's your real star on this show, not Rocco--the ad guys.

Concerning Rocco Dispirito:

What's the deal with "Mom" and her meatballs? I saw Rocco on the Food Network and of course Mom was there. :blink:  I wonder where Rocco's significant other fits in?

The term significant other was coined by Freud and it referred to one's mother so ... :wub:

He's the kind of guy that give fags a bad rep.

Huh? :unsure:

Do "they" HAVE a "bad rep"?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I know this isn't PC, but I was particularly happy to see the departure of that whining little fag, Topher. He's the kind of guy that give fags a bad rep.

What a nasty thing to say about someone, Nick.

I had the opportunity to speak at length with Topher, and he seems like a nice guy and damned good waiter. He was honest with Rocco and walked out when he saw that the place wasn't working. And from most accounts to date, the place still isn't working...

Has anyone noticed the that Rocco's and Coors has the same letters (ok, so Rocco's has the extra "c")?

:shock::biggrin:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I had the opportunity to speak at length with Topher, and he seems like a nice guy and damned good waiter.  He was honest with Rocco and walked out when he saw that the place wasn't working.  And from most accounts to date, the place still isn't working...

Well then he's got to be upset that the editing implies that he left because Rocco didn't offer him a Vespa, doesn't he?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Well then he's got to be upset that the editing implies that he left because Rocco didn't offer him a Vespa, doesn't he?

Topher said he has no regrets about the show. My own opinion is that this show is a big break for everyone on it...except Rocco.

I had the opportunity to speak at length with Topher, and he seems like a nice guy and damned good waiter.  He was honest with Rocco and walked out when he saw that the place wasn't working.  And from most accounts to date, the place still isn't working...

That wasn't the feeling I got.

It seemed to me more that the Vespa incident was the last straw.

Here he'd been working hard and putting up with shit coming and going, but still trying to be a team player and giving it his best.

And in the meantime, someone else gives up and quits and she gets a big fat bonus.

While those that had been slogging it out in misery were repaid for their loyalty and steadfastness with, instead of a Vespa, MORE misery.

I don't blame him. I'd have walked, too.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I can't believe no one has quoted Rocco's voice-over line from early in the episode, and I quote (as he slips into a banquette of a bevy of blondes):

• "When people come to Rocco's, they want to see Rocco. So, the most important thing I can do is be with my customers."

(This was right before The Glamazons entered, to a tuba solo and with people gawking as if they'd never seen fat people in their lives, let alone wearing a sexy dress. :wacko: How insulting! Give me a break, this just shows that the producers of this show haven't got a clue.)

Excuse me, but if I go to a restaurant called Rocco's, I want Rocco in the kitchen preparing my food. OK, I know usually the name chef isn't always in the kitchen (Hello Emeril), but "the most important thing" for a name chef to do is make sure his restaurant is functional before he gets to schmooze. If he's worried about the food being served cold, get in the kitchen and expedite, don't walk around the dining room asking Fisher Stevens if his food was cold. :shock:

The voice-over also seemed poorly timed. I feel it was a last minute addition to the episode. :hmmm: Like maybe he's been hearing the feedback from the (Ahem!) media about how he should be in the kitchen, not glad handing the guests.

Despite all my great intentions, I, too, succumbed to the irresistable lure of the television tonight and watched Super-Rocco. I am trying to tell myself that it was a natural progression from watching Criminal Intent (which I never miss because I simply can NOT miss Vincent D'Onofrio, EVER :wub: ) to The Rocco Show which is on immediately after, and I didn't have time to turn the channel before - boom! - it was there, and then - well, what was I to do? :unsure:

(Okay, so I probably could have turned the channel, but I like my little delusion better than reality.) :biggrin:

I thought - it was pretty awful. I thought we were going to see more of the BOH this week. And while we did see MORE than we usually do, still - it was focused on the FOH and the drama, and the angst, and the woe-is-me crap again.

And frankly, I'm even less impressed with Rocco than before. For him to suddenly have an epiphany while rolling meatballs that MAYBE - just MAYBE - a restaurant isn't REALLY about whatever-the-hell-he-thought-it-was-about after all, but about FOOD - GOOD food! OMG! :shock: Why ever did he not think of this before?! How COULD he have been so stupid and not REALIZED?!!! People come to a restaurant for GOOD FOOD and therefore, a good restaurant should start in the KITCHEN! Wow - :rolleyes:

I wanted to smack him with the grill grate.

I also wanted to smack him (and nearly turned the television off) when he said, "When people come to Rocco's, they want to see Rocco. So, the most important thing I can do is be with my customers". Really? So - is that why people are complaining about the food and the service and such? I mean, if they get to see YOU they should be happy, right?

Seriously, is that the stupidest thing you've ever heard any chef say in your life? I'm really just ... I don't know what I am.

Last thought - is it just me, or when they showed action in the back of the house, did it seem slow to anyone else? You know what I mean? Granted, I only worked BOH for a couple of years, and we never did 300 covers except on holidays or if we had a huge banquet, but even on slow nights things moved FAST. Prep was FAST. No one would have rolled meatballs so slow, or made pasta so slow, or chopped things so SLOW as I saw this evening. It was fast, fast, fast - quicker, quicker, quicker. The shots I saw on the BOH were people just poking along.

Anyone from Rocco's - is it always like that back there, or do people pick up the pace off camera?

Edited by TuWanda (log)

Did anyone notice ERIC RIPERT ordering in one of the cut shots? Why the hell didn't they show more of him and his posse? Was that the table Bourdain was at?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Did anyone notice ERIC RIPERT ordering in one of the cut shots? Why the hell didn't they show more of him and his posse? Was that the table Bourdain was at?

No, I saw him. I was hoping they'd focus more on his table so we could see HIS reaction to crappily prepared food.

But - I did catch a remark during a shot of the kitchen - when Rocco went down to scream at them for the second time, it was something about "the guest chef's food was cold" blah-blah-blah so I'm thinking that his table got the same poorly prepared food as the rest of the restaurant.

I think the idiot producers didn't realize who he was, or they would have shown someone reacting to him entering the place. "Hey look! It's Gina Gershon!" Who cares? Eric Ripert just ordered Mama's Meatballs! Can I get a picture of him naked with the meatballs? Could you sign it? To Rosie...

Seriously, he probably asked to not be named. Did the guests have to sign a waiver upon entering to allow their images to be used in a TV show?

Well, he IS cute.

I'll give him that.

This was in the 5 or so minutes I saw -- shortly after, some girl said she was leaving (I think she had long brown hair.) A longer stream of invective I've never heard. Hell hath no fury like an FOH-person scorned....I think she was an FOHer. Somebody help me out here.

Soba

Well, he IS cute.

I'll give him that.

This was in the 5 or so minutes I saw -- shortly after, some girl said she was leaving (I think she had long brown hair.)  A longer stream of invective I've never heard.  Hell hath no fury like an FOH-person scorned....I think she was an FOHer.  Somebody help me out here.

Soba

She was the horrible waitress everyone was talking about last week, Soba. Remember, the one that couldn't be bothered to learn which forks to give her customers, and would only be nice when she felt like it, etc., etc.? I was happy her little moment in the sun ended on such a colorful note, frankly.

Well, he IS cute.

I'll give him that.

This was in the 5 or so minutes I saw -- shortly after, some girl said she was leaving (I think she had long brown hair.)  A longer stream of invective I've never heard.  Hell hath no fury like an FOH-person scorned....I think she was an FOHer.  Somebody help me out here.

Soba

Soba,

The waitress who left (I don't recall her name) is the same one who in last week's episode said she didn't care whether or not the tables had forks. She had been given a night off previously to adjust her attitude... Apparently the time off didn't help... :laugh: