• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

queer eye for the straight guy is doing it too (the products must receive the boy's seal of aproval). more to come, i'm sure.

Queer Eye does it tastefully. The Restaurant's is insulting.

Yep. And I have to agree with the post a few pages back which mentioned that this will be more prevalent in the future. As more people use Tivo and skip over ads, advertisers will continue to look for ways to integrate their products into the programming itself.

I hope you Tivo people are happy :raz:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

queer eye for the straight guy is doing it too (the products must receive the boy's seal of aproval). more to come, i'm sure.

Queer Eye does it tastefully. The Restaurant's is insulting.

Given that they work the sponsors into the show as opposed to flashing products like they do on The Restaurant, the Queer Eye approach is so much better. All of the furniture and clothing companies they pick for the show are really a soft sell. I wouldn't mind seeing Ted showcase some interesting gourmet products the same way the other three do it with furniture, clothing and grooming produts. The only one that they really had which was a hard sell is the DiSaronno, but they did it in a tasteful way.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Given that they work the sponsors into the show as opposed to flashing products like they do on The Restaurant, the Queer Eye approach is so much better. All of the furniture and clothing companies they pick for the show are really a soft sell. I wouldn't mind seeing Ted showcase some interesting gourmet products the same way the other three do it with furniture, clothing and grooming produts.

yup. i actually bought some skin products because of the show. to me, it was better than seeing any commercial, as i believed the guy thought they were good products and i respect his opinion.

i've not used my amex since the restaurant aired, however, and i don't think i'll be starting to drink Coors any time soon.

ROCCO"S NEW PARTNER? [in TV land] ROSSANNE? WHY NOT? I'm new to the board. Post reguarly on Chowhound, Pacific NW, General, Non-Food and Kosher Boards. Also Post on Roadfoods. Have lurked on E-Gullet.Com siince it's begining. However I felt that this possable conclusion, rationalized by my Grandaughter [12 yrs], therefore more understanding of Reality Television. Last week "ROSSANNE", introduced her setting up of a "COOKING SHOW", format on ABC, using her Son, Son-In-Law, Original Husband[1st], His new Wife, and Rossanne's new Boyfriend. Rocco's show only has 3 more segement's to be shown on NBC. His show now has Mommie, Uncle, Aunt and i'm sure other relatives. To us it only seems natural for both Shows to get together. ROSSANNE requires credability for her Cooking? ROCCO"S, together with family add comical credability with the addition of their cooking skills? ROCCO"S, a single attractive male, ROSSANNES, a Grandma, interesting personality. This seems to us as the "Ultimate Reality Television" just think of the rating's if they have Television's favorite family the "Osbounes" as guests, especially if "Ozzie", shows his famous chicken recipe, developed in his earlier years. YUMMMMM. Now that's Entertainment.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I just noticed (before posting this) that this thread is now tied with the dinner (what did we have) thread for views - 32767. At the rate it's going it may end up being the all time most viewed thread in eGullet history. How many more shows are there to go? Is this really ending up at averaging around 5-6000 views per show? It's just amazing how we love to pander to the tube.

Oops. Two more posts while I was writing this.

At the rate it's going it may end up being the all time most viewed thread in eGullet history.

also probably going to set a record for first-time-posters who offer nothing else to egullet.

Yea who wants a bunch of different opinions.

Edited by zenial (log)

At the rate it's going it may end up being the all time most viewed thread in eGullet history.

also probably going to set a record for first-time-posters who offer nothing else to egullet.

since you spoke up, i'll go ahead and suggest that you'd be a good example: you've contributed nothing to egullet except for your thoughts on this thread. i don't particularly think that's a bad thing, but rather i was simply pointing it out.

if you followed my posts here on egullet, i think you'd see that i'm all about freedom of expression, and i welcome divergent opinions, as long as they're based largely on fact rather than emotion. and i'm sure that i speak not only for myself, but for others, when i say that i've appreciated your input thus far, as well as that of the other staff/actors from Rocco's, as it has been entertaining to say the least.

Edited by tommy (log)

since you spoke up, i'll go ahead and suggest that you'd be a good example: you've contributed nothing to egullet except for your thoughts on this thread. i don't particularly think that's a bad thing, but rather i was simply pointing it out.

if you followed my posts here on egullet, i think you'd see that i'm all about freedom of expression, and i welcome divergent opinions, as long as they're based largely on fact rather than emotion. and i'm sure that i speak not only for myself, but for others, when i say that i've appreciated your input thus far, as well as that of the other staff/actors from Rocco's, as it has been entertaining to say the least.

To say that I have contributed nothing execpt for my thoughts on this thread is to say that I indeed have contributed something, which is in direct contrast to your original statment. I think that for us to voice our opinions about the given subject (The Restaurant) from our vantage point (Actually working at Roccos) brings something to the discussion that no other egullet member can. True, I have not posted in other threads, but to say I have not contributed to egullet at all is a little hastey and also false, you said so yourself. Likewies I have recieved invaluble input for numerous industry professionals about the show and serving in general. Now not to call you out but do you still believe that I have contributed nothing to egullet.

I think that for us to voice our opinions about the given subject (The Restaurant) from our vantage point (Actually working at Roccos) brings something to the discussion that no other egullet member can.

Another reminder that people make the world go round. Thanks!

I think that for us to voice our opinions about the given subject (The Restaurant) from our vantage point (Actually working at Roccos) brings something to the discussion that no other egullet member can.

Another reminder that people make the world go round. Thanks!

yup.

and i'm sure that i speak not only for myself, but for others, when i say that i've appreciated your input thus far, as well as that of the other staff/actors from Rocco's, as it has been entertaining to say the least.

original statement:

care to try again?

Sorry your right. But I don't think it was as small a contribution as you make it out to be.

Edited by zenial (log)

But I don't think it was as small a contribution as you make it out to be.

Wilde again:

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Take heart, zenial. At least you're being talked about.

original statement:

care to try again?

Sorry your right. But I don't think it was as small a contribution as you make it out to be.

Hah. Stop fighting children! :raz:

eGullet will sail on successfully with or without people who are on the "inside" of any issue we discuss. On the other hand, they can indeed help the discussion, and from what I've always seen are usually given a pretty good shake at it.

In other words, eG doesn't "need" them, but can and does "appreciate" them, assuming the contribution is positive. The amount of that contribution matters not, I think, as long as it outweighs any negatives. Some great collaborations can occur this way (or not). Like all discussion sites, eGullet is inherently a bit of a jungle, but unlike some, it's in a nice spot where we've killed lots of bugs and cut away the underbrush some. It would be nice if everyone felt comfortable exploring the whole site, but its also perfectly valid for someone to be here specifically for one topic. I mean if someone has an axe to grind, or simply something to shill, and nothing else, we usually spot that too, right? It's part of the fun (and I'm NOT saying that either of those is the case with anyone here--I'm just talking about the concept of these things happening).

I think. . . :biggrin: I'm not some site official speaking here, just an occasional flunky at most. So add an invisible "in my opinion" to every sentence above.

{edit for spelking, I mean spelling. idjit.}

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

But I don't think it was as small a contribution as you make it out to be.

Wilde again:

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Take heart, zenial. At least you're being talked about.

LOL

original statement:

care to try again?

Hah. Stop fighting children! :raz:

eGullet will sail on successfully with or without people who are on the "inside" of any issue we discuss. On the other hand, they can indeed help the discussion, and from what I've always seen are usually given a pretty good shake at it.

In other words, eG doesn't "need" them, but can and does "appreciate" them, assuming the contribution is positive. The amount of that contribution matters not, I think, as long as it outweighs any negatives. Some great collaborations can occur this way (or not). Like all discussion sites, eGullet is inherently a bit of a jungle, but unlike some, it's in a nice spot where we've killed lots of bugs and cut away the underbrush some. It would be nice if everyone felt comfortable exploring the whole site, but its also perfectly valid for someone to be here specifically for one topic. I mean if someone has an axe to grind, or simply something to shill, and nothing else, we usually spot that too, right? It's part of the fun (and I'm NOT saying that either of those is the case with anyone here--I'm just talking about the concept of these things happening).

I think. . . :biggrin: I'm not some site official speaking here, just an occasional flunky at most. So add an invisible "in my opinion" to every sentence above.

{edit for spelking, I mean spelling. idjit.}

Well said!

So what's this about a second part coming out? Is there one?

(btw, I still haven't seen a single episode -- minus the 10 minutes of whining I observed as noted above -- otoh, reading this thread has filled in all the gaps as far as I'm concerned, not to mention its more entertaining.)

Soba

Zenial - you're FOH. Right? Tommy's got a point. Instead of being a one-issue person at this thread, why don't you tell us what it was like working at other joints? Start a new thread on it. Tell us some serious or funny stories about your past gigs.

yup. i actually bought some skin products because of the show. to me, it was better than seeing any commercial, as i believed the guy thought they were good products and i respect his opinion.

This demonstrates the danger of not separating commercial endorsements from the body of the show. At least we can hold on to our contempt for Amex and Coors in The Restaurant due to their clumsy, forced appearances. When a product that sponsors the show is represented as being objectively endorsed, it's deceptive. :hmmm:

...was I there?

When a product that sponsors the show is represented as being objectively endorsed, it's deceptive.

i agree, and it's heavy-handed, insulting, annoying as hell. and then you get the commercials. but it is not that new--how about chefs/hosts endorsing sponsor's products on PBS cooking shows? they are produced the same way (production company secures sponsors to pay for the show then sells it to individual stations), the push is, mercifully, somewhere between "the restaurant" and "queer eye." it's still $$ for the show and whoever stars in it--surely they don't endorse only and exclusively their absolutely favorite products? they use sponsors' products on the show, do they use them at home? does it matter? nobody complained that Jacques Pepin poured sponsor's wines to go with his food on his show... is it a question of trust in the endorser? the product? of having mitsubishi, amex and coors shoved down our collective throat just a touch too forcefully?

tommy, was not using amex a conscious, defiant decision or were you saying that all that advertising and placement hasn't made you reach for the product yet?

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse