• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

For me, the funniest part of last week's episode was the little FOH bitch session about Rocco's concept of the place.

I am trying to imagine a restaurant in real life where the wait staff would send a representative to the owner and tell him his vision of how the place should be run is wrong. Especially after they've been open for what, 4 days or so?

Jesus...I was rolling on the floor about that.

I have never been surprised by people's misconception of thier own importance. The FOH bitch session about the concept of the restaurant was hilarious. They thought they had something at stake because of thier positions. Thats laughable, Rocco or Chowdrow or NBC put up 4 million dollars so they could make the decisions on the concept of the place. If Topher, or Pete or Gideon want to make those decisions go down to the bank sign away everything you own (hair gel, playstation 2, bling bling, and thier parent's house) and feel free to give it a try. Maybe then you would want to know how the busboy thinks you should serve the appetizers.

Oh yeah I never watch this show.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

i don't think i've ever read the Post in my life.  i hear they have good sports coverage though.  but i don't like sports.

You're not the only one. We get three daily papers, and I assure you, the Post is not one of them.

As my dad likes to say "It's not fit to line a bird cage."

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

For me, the funniest part of last week's episode was the little FOH bitch session about Rocco's concept of the place. 

I am trying to imagine a restaurant in real life where the wait staff would send a representative to the owner and tell him his vision of how the place should be run is wrong.  Especially after they've been open for what, 4 days or so?

Jesus...I was rolling on the floor about that.

I'm so glad somebody else had this thought. I was rolling in laughter even as I was covering my eyes because I could watch no more. :wacko: (Such a train wreck.) Even the most magnanimous chefs that I know or am familiar with would giggle (more likely f-bomb) at the idea of their FOH staff giving advice on their "vision" for the restaurant. FOH have valuable advice but this was a bit much to stomach.

Here's a novel thought: If the chef has an ego large enough to open restaurant on national T.V., the chef and his advisors probably have given some thought to the restaurant's "vision". (Although, they might have given it some more thought.)

I have to believe (want to believe!) that the folks at NBC goaded the staff into talking about the "vision" of Rocco's. I felt like I was watching a back-stage critique of Francis Ford Coppola by his extras and the supporting cast. (neither comparing Rocco to FFC nor FOH staff to "extras")

Can we PLEASE have the BOH?

I have never been surprised by people's misconception of thier own importance. The FOH bitch session about the concept of the restaurant was hilarious. They thought they had something at stake because of thier positions. Thats laughable, Rocco or Chowdrow or NBC put up 4 million dollars so they could make the decisions on the concept of the place. If Topher, or Pete or Gideon want to make those decisions go down to the bank sign away everything you own (hair gel, playstation 2, bling bling, and thier parent's house) and feel free to give it a try. Maybe then you would want to know how the busboy thinks you should serve the appetizers.

Yeah, I was amused by that sequence too. I think the complaints may have been valid in their content, but it certainly isn't a staffer's (i.e. non financial risk-taker) place to make them unless otherwise solicited by ownership/management. I'm sure folks who coughed up the $4M for this venture couldn't care less what those who didn't have to say about it--especially since the backers have a history of previous successes.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I gotta say, I haven't watched the show because I am still having waitressing nightmares from twenty years ago—five fun-filled years at TGI Friday's did me in for life, I think. I'm afraid to watch...but I guess I should see just one show, huh?

Edited by tanabutler (log)

And if Grimes reviews it, well today he gave Odette Fada from san Domenico ( what used to be the best Italian in NYC), 2 **.  And her food is leaps and bounds over the slop served at Rocco's, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Grimes. :biggrin:

Grimes gave two stars to San Domenico because of the lapses in service that he found while dining out there on many occasions.

He mentions the service lapses in at least two places in his review.

Clickety for the review -- scroll down for the relevant link.

Soba

Can we PLEASE have the BOH?

I have been waiting for this also. However, someone else pointed out earlier that there is not going to be nearly enough drama for the general public, and I think they are right.

Those of us who have actually put in our time there know there is plenty of real drama, but the BOH staff, if they are real cooks, are not going to provide the kind of snarky bullshit the viewers want to watch.

Besides, all the bleeps would make the Osbournes sound like a children's show. :blush:

As a former BOH slavey: Hey, BOH does not make for "good" TV of this type. We come in, do our prep, set up our stations, cook and do our best to cover for the mistakes the FOH makes, clean up, and go home. For a lot of us, the place shown is only one of our jobs, because you can't take care of a family on a line cook's pay. Who really wants to see that? The only time we screw around -- and how -- is when it's slow, which doesn't seem to be the case at Rocco's.

And while I haven't read much of this thread, please, those who bash the Post -- it wasn't always the way it is now. Way back in the days of Dolly Schiff (within my lifetime), it was one of the best liberal papers in the city. Damn Kalikow. Double damn Murdock. :angry: How the mighty are fallen. :sad:

As a former BOH slavey: Hey, BOH does not make for "good" TV of this type.  We come in, do our prep, set up our stations, cook and do our best to cover for the mistakes the FOH makes, clean up, and go home.  For a lot of us, the place shown is only one of our jobs, because you can't take care of a family on a line cook's pay.  Who really wants to see that?  The only time we screw around -- and how -- is when it's slow, which doesn't seem to be the case at Rocco's.

And while I haven't read much of this thread, please, those who bash the Post -- it wasn't always the way it is now.  Way back in the days of Dolly Schiff (within my lifetime), it was one of the best liberal papers in the city.  Damn Kalikow.  Double damn Murdock.  :angry:    How the mighty are fallen.  :sad:

Oh yea the BOH Never makes mistakes.

When we goof up you guys have to work harder. We you goof up we have to work harder and loose money. Neither job is easier than the other, and mistakes are USUALLY even sided.

And while I haven't read much of this thread, please, those who bash the Post -- it wasn't always the way it is now.  Way back in the days of Dolly Schiff (within my lifetime), it was one of the best liberal papers in the city.  Damn Kalikow.  Double damn Murdock. :angry:    How the mighty are fallen.  :sad:

Yes it was. I remember it fondly from my early childhood as the afternoon paper.

And fuck Mudrock.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Yeah, I was amused by that sequence too. I think the complaints may have been valid in their content, but it certainly isn't a staffer's (i.e. non financial risk-taker) place to make them unless otherwise solicited by ownership/management. I'm sure folks who coughed up the $4M for this venture couldn't care less what those who didn't have to say about it--especially since the backers have a history of previous successes.

=R=

Although I agree with a lot of what you are saying, Rocco made it clear from the begining that this was "OUR" restaurant. Not only was feed back wanted it also seemed expected, it felt like a dream job. Come to find out he was to busy to care (not that blame him at all). That's why the bitch session.

Although I agree with a lot of what you are saying, Rocco made it clear from the begining that this was "OUR" restaurant. Not only was feed back wanted it also seemed expected, it felt like a dream job. Come to find out he was to busy to care (not that blame him at all). That's why the bitch session.

:laugh:

And while I haven't read much of this thread, please, those who bash the Post -- it wasn't always the way it is now.  Way back in the days of Dolly Schiff (within my lifetime), it was one of the best liberal papers in the city.  Damn Kalikow.  Double damn Murdock.   :angry:    How the mighty are fallen.  :sad:

Yes it was. I remember it fondly from my early childhood as the afternoon paper.

And fuck Mudrock.

PJ

I have to join forces with ye. I grew up reading the Post, and then one day in the early seventies it turned into a National Enquirer clone. I can still remember my shock! (need for emoticon with hair standing on end) That was a sad, sad day indeed. It still is. :sad:

=R=

To paraphrase a great line from Animal House...'you f*cked up, you trusted him.'

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

So the other night, I ate at Rocco's. it was about 11ish. the place was still hopping especially the bar. Service was pretty good although I had asked the busser for another soda, which he acknowledged, and never brought over.

I know someone who works BOH so I was prepared on what to order. Dinner started with a loaf of bread and 4 balls of small seasoned mozzarella in olive oil. My friend and I had the fried calamari which was very good. They were lightly battered and were not overcooked. It was also a good amount for just $8. We also had the mozzarella in carozza which was pretty much a grilled cheese (mozzarella) with basil. It came out bland, but after adding some salt, it was pretty tasty. They were pretty greasy. For the main course, we had a shared portion of spaghetti and meatballs. The pasta was cooked perfectly and the sauce was good, but the pasta was a bit too salty. It was probably from the pasta water rather than the marinara because the calamari came with the same sauce. The meatballs were tender and good, but nothing to rave about.

Dessert was DELICIOUS! Of course, we were pretty full by then, but it was sent out free. It was I believe a vanilla gelato with chocolate bits and hot fudge in a glass and on the side were fried banana slices sprinkled with powder sugar. YUM! The captain gave us a discount on the bill, so our bill came out to a little less than 20 bucks for all the food and 2 sodas. well worth what i paid.

Rocco was there talking to the customers, but never came to our table for which I was grateful. The restaurant's decor is beautiful and if you just want a drink, the bar is the place to be. The place smelled of expresso and they have their own orange juicer.

So, would I go back? I honestly don't know. Take from this what you will.

Rocco is on Conan O'Brian's show tonight.

EDIT:

Sit down interview, not a cooking segment. Mom was in the audience and yelled stuff out.

Best Rocco quote: "I have no clue what I'm doing in the Kitchen when it comes to Italian Food" (he was explaining why Mom was involved)

Conan cut on the product placements a lot. Some blather about how many women Rocco gets, because he cooks. Better than yet another cooking segment, but it was still pretty bland.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Rocco is on Conan O'Brian's show tonight.

EDIT:

Sit down interview, not a cooking segment.  Mom was in the audience and yelled stuff out.

Best Rocco quote: "I have no clue what I'm doing in the Kitchen when it comes to Italian Food" (he was explaining why Mom was involved)

Conan cut on the product placements a lot.  Some blather about how many women Rocco gets, because he cooks.  Better than yet another cooking segment, but it was still pretty bland.

This thread is now officially dead.

:hmmm:

Mark

there seems to be so much confusion about the show--who paid for it, how's NBC involved etc. one of the reasons that "reality tv" is so popular with the networks is that it's cheap programming for the networks (and ppl can't get enough of sb else's "reality")--the production cost is covered sb else.

a production company (in this case, mark burnett productions, which produces survivor) raises money by selling sponsorship. it's the sponsors who pay for everything and that's why product placement is so pervasive on the show. the drama about having to open but needing another week was not about a 1000 reservations, calling ppl to cancel and losing $$. Well. it was about losing $$--the production company's $$. When you hire a crew, you hire a crew, delays are costly, and shcedul for editing was tight.

by the way, product placement is the future of tv, we're going to see more and more of it, as nauseating as it is. queer eye for the straight guy is doing it too (the products must receive the boy's seal of aproval). more to come, i'm sure.

rocco's show is terribly manipulated and has as much to do with reality as rocco does with cooking at the restaurant. enough was said about that. the show follows the same principles as any script--set the stage, introduce conflict, add more conflict, then resolution/climax when the hero redeems himself. always go to a commercial at a dramatic point (ditto for eposode end). now spread that over 6 episodes and presto! retch, retch.

the night linda stasi was there (Posts's TV critic, mind you), rocco was briefly shown talking to his publicist (a girl, not the guy from the 1st episode). of course, they knew she was coming, even the pr ppl were on hand. everyhting is controlled, staged and manipulated. i was at the opening party, which they didn't acknowledge as such--they just used the footage to pad the friends & family night and following evenings; e.g. showing drew nieporent and other chefs, a waitress drinking with guests, showing a pretty full restaurant (the weeks after the filming stopped but before the show premiered, rocco's was very slow and getting a reservation was not a problem).

by the way, will he ever learn how to pronounce linda stasi's name? i guess we'll find out on sunday.

what does everyone think--will it hurt his professional reputation or amplify it? i think that as a serious chef he'll get a beating for chasing fame & $$, but ultimately, he may become a more bank-able chef to open a restaurant and do other projects. few chefs after 40 want to spend the time in the kitchen, it's a rough environment and physicallly very demanding. and the culture is so celebrity-obsessed that the food is an afterthought for high profile chefs anyway

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse