• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

The NY Post review:

Rocco's Review

Does anybody really take the New York Post seriously? At all? :blink:

As typically mean-spirited and obnoxious as anything else that appears in that rag, I think I'll ignore it and wait for the Times review. Regardless, I'll probably try Rocco's at some point anyway.

Among other things the guy missed the point of the concept, even after watching the show. Not surprising since the staff apparently missed it as well, with the exception of that one guy at the gripe session. Am I the only one aside from Rocco who thinks it's funny to have an Italian-American theme restaurant?

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Am I the only one aside from Rocco who thinks it's funny to have an Italian-American theme restaurant?

as an italian-american, i find the concept offensive. just like how i don't like the Sopranos because they make me and my family out as the uncouth buffoons that we really are.

Oh yeah...you guys should pay attention to one of the posters here. I dont know who they are, but they are leaking some pretty fragile information about future episodes that could get them in a lot of trouble with NBC.  We are all in contract not disclose any info on future episodes.  I for one...dont feel like fu#@*g with NBC.

Oh Gideon, you poor, poor little man. I just got off the floor from laughing my ass off! I am sorry this was your home run, your big break. What now? Oh, Lordy. Lordy, Lordy!!! Wouldn't want to F&*%$K with NBC???? LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!! I hope your "website" gets lots of hits, LOLOLOLOLOL. I don't give a flying F*&%k what NBC does to anyone! You fail to realize that the COOKs were actually there to COOK!!!!! Jackass....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. you crack me up, thanks for that. :laugh::raz::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The NY Post review:

Rocco's Review

As typically mean-spirited and obnoxious as anything else that appears in that rag, I think I'll ignore it and wait for the Times review. Regardless, I'll probably try Rocco's at some point anyway.

Among other things the guy missed the point of the concept, even after watching the show. Not surprising since the staff apparently missed it as well, with the exception of that one guy at the gripe session. Am I the only one aside from Rocco who thinks it's funny to have an Italian-American theme restaurant?

Rocco had a mediocre reputation among serious, talented chefs to begin with in New York. Before the show, he was seen as a pretty boy with sufficient talent to open restaurants, but overall, not a contender. Now, well, now.... :unsure:

And everybody here in NYC reads the Post. say what you like about it's reputation, but it is read by many. And if Grimes reviews it, well today he gave Odette Fada from san Domenico ( what used to be the best Italian in NYC), 2 **. And her food is leaps and bounds over the slop served at Rocco's, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Grimes. :biggrin:

He eats "Lots of sushi, lots of canned soup at home," DiSpirito told reporters in a recent interview. "And I take a can of beans and a can of chicken stock and chili powder and that's like my quick fix."

He doesn't keep homemade stock at home? :shock: Even I have that in my freezer.

:wacko:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Rocco had a mediocre reputation among serious, talented chefs to begin with in New York.  Before the show, he was seen as a pretty boy with sufficient talent to open restaurants, but overall, not a contender.

and others, of course, think his work at UP has been brilliant.

Since I haven't heard that many first hand reviews, I accept the Post's for what it is because at least it is consistent with what's been shown on the series.

Although I am loving the show so far, I won't be sad when it's over... sick of the hype. :wacko:

Since I haven't heard that many first hand reviews, I accept the Post's for what it is because at least it is consistent with what's been shown on the series. 

Although I am loving the show so far, I won't be sad when it's over... sick of the hype. :wacko:

Amen.

Gideon, my man, why do you have so many clocks on your wall?

:biggrin:

He's keeping track of how many of his 15 minutes are left.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

The NY Post review:

Rocco's Review

Rocco had a mediocre reputation among serious, talented chefs to begin with in New York. Before the show, he was seen as a pretty boy with sufficient talent to open restaurants, but overall, not a contender. Now, well, now.... :unsure:

And everybody here in NYC reads the Post. say what you like about it's reputation, but it is read by many. And if Grimes reviews it, well today he gave Odette Fada from san Domenico ( what used to be the best Italian in NYC), 2 **. And her food is leaps and bounds over the slop served at Rocco's, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Grimes. :biggrin:

From what I have seen, Rocco Despirito had a far better reputation among both NY's diners and chefs than the NY Post had among people who could read and write. In terms of restaurant reviews, the Post seems not to have any reputation. I just don't hear anyone mention it or the reviews that appear in it. By the way, I've lived in NYC all my life.

More to the point, how long has Rocco's, the restaurant, been serving food? It seems much too short a time for any self respecting journalist or newspaper to write or publish a review. That review appeared so quickly just reminded my of the hatchet job the popular press did on AD/NY when pandering to an audience that would never consider visiting a restaurant like AD/NY. While the review supports all my prejudices about the restaurant as formed from watching the TV show, I can't really say it offered any more insight than watching the show on TV.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The NY Post review:

Rocco's Review

From what I have seen, Rocco Despirito had a far better reputation among both NY's diners and chefs than the NY Post had among people who could read and write. In terms of restaurant reviews, the Post seems not to have any reputation. I just don't hear anyone mention it or the reviews that appear in it. By the way, I've lived in NYC all my life.

More to the point, how long has Rocco's, the restaurant, been serving food? It seems much too short a time for any self respecting journalist or newspaper to write or publish a review. That review appeared so quickly just reminded my of the hatchet job the popular press did on AD/NY when pandering to an audience that would never consider visiting a restaurant like AD/NY. While the review supports all my prejudices about the restaurant as formed from watching the TV show, I can't really say it offered any more insight than watching the show on TV.

If Rocco doesn't respect The Post, then why does his publicist call them daily to put him on Page six?? He is literally in the gossip column every day now. The sword cuts both ways.....

[snip]

To all - I'm sorry if I should already know this, but what is thought to be an acceptable amount of time to wait before a serious review should take place? How long should it take for a kitchen to find it's legs? If I am not mistaken, Rocco's has been open for just about eight weeks now. I'm not being snarky, I don't what the norm is. Thank you.

~Tad

The NY Post review:

Rocco's Review

If Rocco doesn't respect The Post, then why does his publicist call them daily to put him on Page six?? He is literally in the gossip column every day now. The sword cuts both ways.....

Rocco can cook. I've eaten in Union Pacific. I have no idea if he can read or write. :biggrin:

Publicists do what publicists do. My guess, at the moment, is that Rocco's is looking for the trade that reads Page Six. I don't know who that is, but I suspect they don't read much else and don't dine very judiciously. In any event, publicists will often take any publicity they can. There has been considerable sentiment here that no matter how badly Rocco or Rocco's looks on TV, this is all good for them.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Does anybody really take the New York Post seriously? At all?  :blink:

Who was it who said

Ain't worth the paper it's printed on

Founded in 1801 by Alexander Hamilton

That is 190 years continuous of fucked up news

I beleive that would be Flava Flav of Public Enemy in "A Letter To The New York Post".

I KNEW all those times listening to that album (Apocolypse 91, The Enemy Strikes Black) would finally pay off in a conversation someday.

Bill Russell

Okay.  We will all wait until The NYTimes gives it no stars.

Actually the NYtimes and New York already reviewed it. New York's was extremely vicious. Even for a bad review the tone seemed overly vindictive. The New York Times' review was prosaic to the point of parody. I suspect their food critic was pressured into writing the review while the show was still on the air rather than a few months after opening as is the practice with many restaurant critics. The review talked of the food's style and restaurant decor and (purposefully, I believe) avoided much discussion of the food's taste.

Rocco can cook indeed.

this from someone who said "Rocco had a mediocre reputation among serious, talented chefs to begin with in New York. Before the show, he was seen as a pretty boy with sufficient talent to open restaurants, but overall, not a contender"

which is it? you seem to be playing both sides.

Rocco can cook indeed.

this from someone who said "Rocco had a mediocre reputation among serious, talented chefs to begin with in New York. Before the show, he was seen as a pretty boy with sufficient talent to open restaurants, but overall, not a contender"

which is it? you seem to be playing both sides.

Tommy, I miss your neon martini glass... :cool: