• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

Greetings Gideon

Welcome to eGullet.

No problem mentioning your website here. A lot of us just add it to our signature tag line.

So are you an actor-waiter or a waiter-actor :smile:

A bit more seriously, what's your prior experience in restaurant work?

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

At the same time, yeah, I am seriously repulsed by someone whose opinion of his own sexual appeal is such that he not only feels entitled to grope strange women in public, but -- and this, to me, is the important bit -- apparently believes that this behavior is pleasing and ingratiating, the ditigal equivalent of comping the table to a round of drinks.

I must have missed this part of the show. Did the "goosee" complain? Do we know whether she and Rocco were previously acquainted?

Nope, no complaints that I saw. And I don't recall anything indicating that she and Rocco knew each other -- but I dunno.

Ok first off....I explain a lot of your question on my site www.gideonhorowitz.com. I promise thats the last time I plug my site. Ok heres the deal....The host is going to call me. The producer calls and says...we are sending a camera crew to your house...is that ok. I say its ok...they arrive set up their cameras and walla...I get a call from the host. Still reality just TV reality. I didnt know why they were coming I just knew they were coming....I hope that gives you some insight into how that whole thing worked.

My restaurant experience.

I worked at a bakery in Florida.

I have 5 years NYC restaurant experience.

Waited tables then managed Jekyll and Hyde on 57th and 6th ave in NYC. Big ass restaurant high volume. I managed Tapas Lounge on 59th and 1st avenue. Ive catered, served, bussed, washed...you name it I have done it. I am an actor first then a waiter. 70% of servers in NYC are in the arts one way or another...it gives you the perfect schedule to work...flexable and the pay is great. NBC didnt hire me as an actor. Rocco hired the staff he wanted then NBC took that staff and cast the people they wanted. We all have ample enough restaurant experience.

Oh yeah...you guys should pay attention to one of the posters here. I dont know who they are, but they are leaking some pretty fragile information about future episodes that could get them in a lot of trouble with NBC.  We are all in contract not disclose any info on future episodes.  I for one...dont feel like fu#@*g with NBC.

Gideon, who's to say what fragile information is? Do you think you could get in trouble posting here? I guess not, seeing that you and some of the other waiters all have web sites and whatnot. Still, it would be interesting to see if anyone from NBC is monitoring the thread for disclosure violations.

This show is just silly in so many ways; wait until they dub it in French and show it in France.

Or dub it in Japanese and show it in Japan. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I dont know who they are, but they are leaking some pretty fragile information about future episodes that could get them in a lot of trouble with NBC.

FRAGILE information???!!! :huh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, come on! This isn't national security - or even the season finale of Dallas. :biggrin: It's a somewhat lame reality television show that will probably have a shelf-life of about - oh, I'll be generous and say 6 months - after it finishes airing. No reflection on you personally, Gideon, or any of the others in the program, but the program itself simply isn't that special.

Fragile information - that is funny! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

why did that life suck?

Oops! Kinda forgot where I was for a second...heh heh...*gulp*

I just meant that it sucked for me. The hours, the stress, it all kind of of got to me after a while and something had to give so I just decided to bail.

heh, no, grillboy, I was just asking because I'm looking to join the field, and I'm getting a little jittery about changing my lifestyle from office boy (soft, easy job that makes good money, normal hours, vacation time, benefits, etc), to that of a cook, starting at the CCA (SF) and going from there. so I'm trying to get as many scary details as possible.

the reason I'm changing my life around is that I unfortunately am desperately in love with cooking.

Go for it!

I got out of my office gig (making maps for the EPA) and started a chef apprenticeship last year. Sure the schedule sucks, especially with being married for only two years and now having a two month old at home, but I am having the time of my life. It is brutally hot, unforgiving on the feet, and the servers can be a real drag, but if it is something you have in your blood there is no way to get it out other than to bleed yourself to death on the line. Jump in, head first, knives at your side.

BTW, the show is really interesting. My wife doesn't understand why the action is all focused on the FOH. I explained that there are no actors in the kitchen and the cooks don't have time for screwing around for the cameras, especially the way Rocco starts crying when he is down there.

Terrarich

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

Yeah, it wasn't the critic's thighs, as Rocco would have had to have been on crack to do that!

so we can count that as just one more piece of misinformation fueling this mess. thought so.

I'm not sure it really matters whose thigh he was goosing, Tommy (though it might well have mattered to the critic and/or to the Anonymous Blonde :smile: ).

well then perhaps you shouldn't have suggested that he was rubbing a critic's thigh.

i've "goosed" many women in my day, as have many others. i don't expect to be sent to hell for it.

In the first place, it was an honest mistake on my part. As others here have noted, the segment involving said goosing was intercut with others involving Rocco's schmoozing the critic; I was apparently confused as to just whose thigh was getting massaged.

In the second place, back off. I'm not suggesting that Rocco be "sent to hell" for goosing some woman's thigh, whether or not she is a critic. And I have no desire to send you or anyone else to hell for similar behavior.

At the same time, yeah, I am seriously repulsed by someone whose opinion of his own sexual appeal is such that he not only feels entitled to grope strange women in public, but -- and this, to me, is the important bit -- apparently believes that this behavior is pleasing and ingratiating, the ditigal equivalent of comping the table to a round of drinks.

i'm only suggesting that people should check their facts before making such claims. if that sounds unreasonable, then expect me to call you out. that's just the way i am, as i'm such a nice guy and all. first of all.

yes the break was real, the fall was real.

gideon,

welcome to egullet.

i have a question, and forgive me for not visiting your website to find the answer if it's there (although i've poked around it).

the "fall" heard 'round the world: it seemed like there were 2 cameras at strange angles, with great lighting and all, able to catch you when your face was half-way to the floor. did they ask you to re-enact that slip? if not, thems be some good camera guys.

Not a bad review when you consider it's just a "made for TV restaurant" that never had any intention of being serious or hanging around too long.

Quick in and out - make a few bucks and be gone. Reviews don't mean anything for hotspot places - just ask "Elaine."

The restaurant is already an overwhelming success - reviews are superfluous.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!