• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

Sorry about the self-whoreing, we all have bills.

It beats pimping, which is a no-no on eGullet.

By the way, I don't think anyone is complaining about the incompetent staff in the restaurant, few of us have been to the restaurant. We're complaining about the incompetent wait staff on the show. We complain about what we know and what we see is what we know about the show. Indeed, what they show, is the show. If the show paints an unflattering picture of the restaurant, well I guess that means NBC is not an investor in the restaurant. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Life Network here in Canada has a similar show called Opening Soon that's been picked up by Food TV Canada. It's actually quite interesting...

http://www.foodtv.ca/tv/shows/titledetails...title_55202.asp

http://www.lifenetwork.com/tv/shows/show_d...p?titleID=55202

treqx

"Into the Fire" is a weekly food reality show that takes viewers behind the scenes and into the heart and heat of America’s most renowned restaurants on their busiest nights. While traditional food programming brings the professional chef into the viewer’s home, "Into the Fire" brings viewers directly into the home of the professional chef - the restaurant kitchen. Every week, viewers will become voyeurs in a different restaurant allowing them to embark on a thrilling rollercoaster ride through the professional culinary world.

Last night Commanders' Palace in New Orleans was the subject of the evening .... Ella Brennan and her family and top notch staff were among those involved in the show ... the concept of the "open kitchen" and how the expert staff was able to deftly handle various crises with charm and good humor .... perhaps it was this level of professionalism which explains how Commanders' deservedly won the James Beard "Top US Restaurant" and "Best Service" awards... this show is far superior to "The Restaurant" on NBC. Do give it a look... you won't be disappointed!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Sorry about the self-whoreing, we all have bills.

It beats pimping, which is a no-no on eGullet.

By the way, I don't think anyone is complaining about the incompetent staff in the restaurant, few of us have been to the restaurant. We're complaining about the incompetent wait staff on the show. We complain about what we know and what we see is what we know about the show. Indeed, what they show, is the show. If the show paints an unflattering picture of the restaurant, well I guess that means NBC is not an investor in the restaurant. :biggrin:

No pimping? Then don't put up a link to a self- promoting web site (Not speaking to you of course) :wub:

What about Topher (?), the gay blonde excellent waiter?

:wub: awe...I am not going to say anything about anyone or anything having to do with the truth of the show or anyone's personal character on this post board. I am glad however that Rachel Perlow asked about my whereabouts. Thank you Rachel...

Anyone that wants to contact me for the sake of honest and human conversation can do so through TopherRestaurant@aol.com or through my website at www.TopherGoodman.com. These venues are sincerely for the sake of loving life conversation only.

My wishes for all 'characters' on"The Restaurant" as well as viewers: relax and enjoy it is a moment of dramatic and fun television. It's just life. It's just a show. It's television....who cares what's real or whose an actor. Let's just laugh and know that we participate in a little game called 'life'

xoxoxoxxo to all

Topher

I am glad however that Rachel Perlow asked about my whereabouts.  Thank you Rachel...

You're welcome. And welcome to eGullet. :smile:

Oh, and zenial, you should ask about 'who' is specifically going to be 'where' privately. Answering questions like that can be dangerous in a public internet environment.

Hello All,

This is Uzay from The Restaurant.  I don't know who this SaucyGirl is but, I am glad she is no longer working with us at Rocco's.  With that kind of negative attitude you can't make a place move forward, especially when we are doing 400 covers a night.  Just want to clear a few things up here.

First of all, yes I am actor, but I have also been working in the business since I was 13 years old.  I am a much better waiter then actor.  If any of you actually work in restaurants in NYC, you know that about 70% of all staffs are actors.  I wasn't hired for acting skills, I was hired because I had a good resume and people skills.

Never skimmed money off the tip pool. 

Did get promoted to Captain.

Still working there and working hard.

It is really hard to open restaurants under normal conditions, but it is almost impossible to do it in 5 weeks with 12 camera crews and limited space, big personalities and the knowledge that all of America will be watching your every move.  Some people cracked under the pressure and some people had to be let go because they couldn't handle it, and some of us busted our hump and made iit through and are still busting our humps and not complaining about it.

Come see for yourselves.

As far as what saucyGirl said about Front of house vs Back of house...  Listen I saw some of the stupidest things ever done by a kitchen staff and I saw them get fired.  Our front and back of house gets along real well and its not just beacuse we have to.  We are one team fighting a new battle every night.  SaucyGirl , whomever you are, Don't be bitter, because you couldn't hack it, get back to work, somewhere and try to smile.

Enough defense!!  Rocco's is great.  Come check it out.  Watch the show, there is some great stuff coming up.

Check out my website.  I write about the show each week and you can learn a little bit more about me. www.uzaytumer.com

Uzay, you pocketed 2 $50 dollar bills from a table, and did not include them into the tip pool. I, among others saw you do it. And its on tape. No negativity here....have another cocktail. If you and some friends pop in to to my bar, I'll "take care of you" :biggrin:

Hello All,

This is Uzay from The Restaurant.  I don't know who this SaucyGirl is but, I am glad she is no longer working with us at Rocco's.  With that kind of negative attitude you can't make a place move forward, especially when we are doing 400 covers a night.  Just want to clear a few things up here.

First of all, yes I am actor, but I have also been working in the business since I was 13 years old.  I am a much better waiter then actor.  If any of you actually work in restaurants in NYC, you know that about 70% of all staffs are actors.  I wasn't hired for acting skills, I was hired because I had a good resume and people skills.

Never skimmed money off the tip pool. 

Did get promoted to Captain.

Still working there and working hard.

It is really hard to open restaurants under normal conditions, but it is almost impossible to do it in 5 weeks with 12 camera crews and limited space, big personalities and the knowledge that all of America will be watching your every move.  Some people cracked under the pressure and some people had to be let go because they couldn't handle it, and some of us busted our hump and made iit through and are still busting our humps and not complaining about it.

Come see for yourselves.

As far as what saucyGirl said about Front of house vs Back of house...  Listen I saw some of the stupidest things ever done by a kitchen staff and I saw them get fired.  Our front and back of house gets along real well and its not just beacuse we have to.  We are one team fighting a new battle every night.  SaucyGirl , whomever you are, Don't be bitter, because you couldn't hack it, get back to work, somewhere and try to smile.

Enough defense!!  Rocco's is great.  Come check it out.  Watch the show, there is some great stuff coming up.

Check out my website.  I write about the show each week and you can learn a little bit more about me. www.uzaytumer.com

Uzay, you pocketed 2 $50 dollar bills from a table, and did not include them into the tip pool. I, among others saw you do it. And its on tape. No negativity here....have another cocktail. If you and some friends pop in to to my bar, I'll "take care of you" :biggrin:

p.s. the only person in the kitchen to get fired was the butcher, a week before we opened.

Uzay, you pocketed 2 $50 dollar bills from a table, and did not include them into the tip pool. I, among others saw you do it. And its on tape. No negativity here....have another cocktail. If you and some friends pop in to to my bar, I'll "take care of you"  :biggrin:

Just my opinion, but it's not cool to throw around accusations from behind a psuedonym. At least Uzay had the guts to post under his own name.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Life Network here in Canada has a similar show called Opening Soon that's been picked up by Food TV Canada. It's actually quite interesting...

http://www.foodtv.ca/tv/shows/titledetails...title_55202.asp

http://www.lifenetwork.com/tv/shows/show_d...p?titleID=55202

treqx

"Into the Fire" is a weekly food reality show that takes viewers behind the scenes and into the heart and heat of America’s most renowned restaurants on their busiest nights. While traditional food programming brings the professional chef into the viewer’s home, "Into the Fire" brings viewers directly into the home of the professional chef - the restaurant kitchen. Every week, viewers will become voyeurs in a different restaurant allowing them to embark on a thrilling rollercoaster ride through the professional culinary world.

Last night Commanders' Palace in New Orleans was the subject of the evening .... Ella Brennan and her family and top notch staff were among those involved in the show ... the concept of the "open kitchen" and how the expert staff was able to deftly handle various crises with charm and good humor .... perhaps it was this level of professionalism which explains how Commanders' deservedly won the James Beard "Top US Restaurant" and "Best Service" awards... this show is far superior to "The Restaurant" on NBC. Do give it a look... you won't be disappointed!

Umm...is it just my imagination, or does this read rather stunningly like a press release?

I present... the "The Restaurant" drinking game!

You know, I had this long thing all written out... and then I realized simplicity works best.

Rule:

-Drink whenever you see product placement.

Not sure if I can make it through the whole show... but I'm gonna try!

PS- sorry, but I'm really bored today...

You know, I had this long thing all written out... and then I realized simplicity works best.

Rule:

Can't play. Won't drink Coors.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Uzay, you pocketed 2 $50 dollar bills from a table, and did not include them into the tip pool. I, among others saw you do it. And its on tape. No negativity here....have another cocktail. If you and some friends pop in to to my bar, I'll "take care of you"  :biggrin:

Just my opinion, but it's not cool to throw around accusations from behind a psuedonym. At least Uzay had the guts to post under his own name.

Hear hear!

Edit: Here here! (which is it?)

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Rule:

Too late, I started when Bobby Flay had Particia Yeo From AZ on Hot off the Grill. I started drinking when the Chinese strings started on the jazzy background music every two minutes when Bobby didn't know what he was cooking.

What in the hell was Rocco doing at that table with the blondes...

Well... I know what he was doing, but the #@$#@ Post critic was there... sigh

amazing

I think that one customer said it best... "So he's just walking around shaking hands and schmoozing all night? I wanna be a chef!"

Counted three product placements in the first half hour. How many did I miss?

What's with a restaurant critic reviewing a restaurant the second day it was open? Out here in the provences places get two weeks to two months. Is it common in NY to be reviewed right off the bat or is that only when you're part of a reality TV show?

Also, what chef smoozes in the dining room when there's a critic in the restaurant?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

My roommate has his TV turned on to NBC and I happened to walk into the living room just now.

I can't believe the amount of whining that goes on on this show. (And this is just from a 10 minute glimpse, folks, me having never seen it at all.)

And you guys managed to watch an entire hour, over several episodes? You're all made of sterner stuff than I am. :unsure:

Soba