• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

I loved one scene and a moment in last night's show. The scene with the manly voiced woman and her compaion who sent back the clams and the prawns. When the prawns come looking pretty fine he say's What are we supposed to do with these? Then sends them back because they are terribly undercooked. Then the chef declares them perfectly done. These people probably have never been anywhere but Denny's.

Then right at the end of the scene with the wise guy wannabe who suck's up to Rocco's mamma, we see the women at the table with the frosted tips stuff a meatball into her hideous looking cake hole. I hope she saw how good she looked. Disgusting!

I thought those prawns looked pretty damn good.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

And although the antics might ultimately put some professionals and serious gourmands off the DiSpirito brand forever, let's be honest - most of the viewing audience would make a beeline for the place if they were within a hundred miles.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Mama rolling the meatballs with no hat, hairnet, or gloves. All I could imagine was that Mama's secret ingredients in those meatballs must be a combination of hair and fingernail grit. :shock:

I don't think that the general public is that carefree when choosing a place to dine, be it famous or not.

Seems there was some confusion.

It was the shlub in the green shirt who went out for the wine.

That guy needed to be chewed out AND sent walking.

I wonder if Laurant(GM) will get his butt chewed on for not taking Gideon seriously.

I've worked in a few places in NYC and elsewhere where you went to the hospital,on restaurant orders, for anything that

they thought was serious,knifecuts,burns,etc. Whether you thought it was serious or not.

This episode kind of bummed me out.

It had more kitchen drama but made me feel weird about Rocco. This guy is a great chef, has a great restaurant,(which,BTW, I would have serious doubts about the possibility of being franchised or being incorporated,say, like Roy Yamaguichis place) in Union Pacific, and God, why do this spaghetti and meatballs shit on East 22nd?

I understand the possibility of having Roccos red sauce everywhere being enticing financially but damn, the Olive Garden diss fell hard, don't you think?

And one shouldn't forget, those diners in that place are New Yorkers. With the exception of Johnny Wiseguy, I would be willing to bet that most of those people have pretty decent palates. Hell, even he probably does, at least for Italian food.

I just hope this doesn't turn on him.

2317/5000

Sad how most of the staff act like little whinning babies for the NBC cameras...Yet another sign of the apocalpse is coming. There's no doubt Rocco is in the upper echelon of chefs, but to me by sleeping with the devil (NBC) he's putting his person reputation on the line as just another wanna be celebrity.

I have seen the first two shows.

I have no idea why Rocco would want his name to be associated with this kind of food or level of dining.

I wonder if seeing this show or eating at Rocco's will affect how patrons view Union Pacific. It certainly has for me.

I feel very much the same, Jinmyo. Watching "Mama" happily dump canned breadcrumbs into her secret recipe for meatballs kinda did it for me. Though for what it's worth, I've eaten at Union Pacific twice, and actively hated the food, so maybe I'm just not a RdS-kinda gal.

As a guest at the "paying" opening night, let me just say this...almost the whole thing was staged... As we were getting mic'ed, the producer said "the drinks are free, so drink up. And if you have to get sick at the table- go right ahead..." Meatball guy was a friend of the family and I believe has a small part in the Sopranos...The "American Express" wine purchase was also staged. The producers were going around trying to stir up trouble among the guests, getting them to complain about anything and everything so there would be more "drama" on the "reality" show. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the kitchen fire was staged as well.

why do this spaghetti and meatballs shit on East 22nd?

I understand the possibility of having Roccos red sauce everywhere being enticing financially but damn, the Olive Garden diss fell hard, don't you think?

And one shouldn't forget, those diners in that place are New Yorkers. With the exception of Johnny Wiseguy, I would be willing to bet that most of those people have pretty decent palates. Hell, even he probably does, at least for Italian food.

I think that by the end of the 6 part series - creative editing will show how Rocco and the staff overcame, banded together, and made Rocco's the best italian restaurant possible.

Predictions

The GM (villian) is told off by Gideon.

The kitchen becomes a disorganized mess

Rocco gets behind the burners to reunite the kitchen staff

Rocco sheds a tear during a heartfelt "thanks to everyone" moment

The final televised meal in the place is nothing but "Oooohs and Aaaaahs"

Now doesn't THAT sound like good tv to you ?

A few thoughts:

I'm curious how many seats Rocco's has? I'm guessing it's fairly large. Maybe that's a "duh." I've been involved in the opening of a bunch of fast food restaurants and a few table service restaurants including one of my own. The table service restaurants were all relatively small. 45-75 seats. I think this size is more typical for the average restaurant. What we're seeing with Rocco's is the opening of a much larger restaurant. I know how difficult it is to control and manage at the small restaurant level. This seems much larger. It is inconceivable to me, based on my experience, as to how a restaurant that size can function, smoothly, at a high quality level. I don't think I ever really appreciated the complexity of a large restaurant. Maybe it's just the camera angles and the director's P.O.V., but I'm intimidated.

I'm still upset with Rocco - that he was willing to open a restaurant that shouldn't have opened for at least another week. He's putting his name on this place. The kitchen staff may have been ready. But the floor staff sure as hell wasn't. How many guests from the travesty of the opening night will return? What will be the word-of-mouth from the trendsetting early triers? In real life, open a restaurant as amateurly as Rocco did, give that bad a first impression, and you're not going to be the one in ten that makes it past year one. Maybe it's that it's a chef owned restaurant. Maybe Rocco doesn't appreciate the importance of the front of the house.

A server disappearing for an hour or more, walking the streets searching for wine, without telling a supervisor. I'm amazed he was allowed to finish his shift.

All in all though, I'm liking "The Restaurant." A lot of fun to watch so far.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

One must hope that the final result of this show is that people will look at what happens in a restaurant and think to themselves "I want to be part of that experience". This can't be bad for anyone in the industry. So wether we love the show or hate it I think it will be good for everyones business.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

The beauty of the whole thing is that it was done at no cost to NBC. The cost will burden only Rocco DiSpirito- having eaten at Union Pacific and enjoyed it, he has lended his name to an utter outrage. What a ham, always playing to the cameras. Certainly no serious chef, he has achieved what I believe he set out to do- he has created tons of buzz. The show had 7 million viewers last week, and the restaurant is going strong. Will it make it past it's first year once the buzz dies down? Doubtful. Watching him swear and curse and freak out- Priceless.

I'm still upset with Rocco - that he was willing to open a restaurant that shouldn't have opened for at least another week.  He's putting his name on this place.  ...

All in all though, I'm liking "The Restaurant."  A lot of fun to watch so far.

He didn't open a restaurant. He stared on a "reality TV" show. The restaurant was a by product of the show. The dog wagged the tail.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'm still upset with Rocco - that he was willing to open a restaurant that shouldn't have opened for at least another week.  He's putting his name on this place. ...

He didn't open a restaurant. He stared on a "reality TV" show. The restaurant was a by product of the show. The dog wagged the tail.

Understand what you're saying, but someone, in theory, poured 3 million or so into the place. What's the story on the money guy? What's his track record?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm still upset with Rocco - that he was willing to open a restaurant that shouldn't have opened for at least another week.  He's putting his name on this place.   ...

Understand what you're saying, but someone, in theory, poured 3 million or so into the place. What's the story on the money guy? What's his track record?

Jeffery Chodorow has multiple places - Asia de Cuba, The resto at the Hudson, The resto at Clift in SF, China Grills, Mix (co owned with Alain Ducasse), Red Square in Miami, Vegas, (NY?)etc

why do this spaghetti and meatballs shit on East 22nd?

I think that by the end of the 6 part series - creative editing will show how Rocco and the staff overcame, banded together, and made Rocco's the best italian restaurant possible.

Predictions

The GM (villian) is told off by Gideon.

The kitchen becomes a disorganized mess

Rocco gets behind the burners to reunite the kitchen staff

Rocco sheds a tear during a heartfelt "thanks to everyone" moment

The final televised meal in the place is nothing but "Oooohs and Aaaaahs"

Now doesn't THAT sound like good tv to you ?

From the NBC website:

EPISODE 103 "The dream becomes a nightmare. " The morning after the official opening, one of the waiters shows up with his wounded arm in a sling and Rocco treats him badly. Reflecting the staff's unhappy mood, another waitress talks about quitting. After an apathetic pep talk - while his kitchen is going through hell, his hostesses are at war, his bartenders are understaffed, and his waiters are forced to give bad service - Rocco ignores the problems and focuses on schmoozing. Customers continue to complain, but now even Rocco and his Mama can't make them happy. The situation goes from bad to worse when a key newspaper critic is unhappy with her food, and Rocco unfairly vents his frustrations on the staff and leaves. At the end of the night, the entire front of house staff meets for a gripe-fest about Rocco. Completely oblivious, Rocco dances 'til dawn at a chic nightclub across town. The next morning, he reads the critic's negative review and realizes his restaurant is in trouble.

Your predictions appear to be coming true.

Bill Russell

I'm still upset with Rocco - that he was willing to open a restaurant that shouldn't have opened for at least another week.  He's putting his name on this place.   ...

The money guy -- Jeffrey Chodorow -- has the Midas touch. A brief list of his successes includes Asia de Cuba (NY, Miami, LA, London), NYC's China Grill and Tuscan Steak (NY and, I believe, Vegas) among others. I was a bartender at Asia de Cuba in NY when it opened; he definitely knows how to make things work from a business perspective. My opinion is that the food is another story.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Jeffery Chodorow has multiple places - Asia de Cuba, The resto at the Hudson, The resto at Clift in SF, China Grills, Mix (co owned with Alain Ducasse), Red Square in Miami, Vegas, (NY?)etc

More about Jeffery Chodorow - What's his batting average - any flops, any restaurants open less than a year?

He doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would squander 3 million for some face time on NBC. He must be looking for a return on his money.

Anyone have insight as to what his deal is with the producers, with NBC?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter