• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

In addition to a new most-users-at-a-time record this morning, 24 new users joined up today.  Is that near a record?  Seems high when the all-time total is about 4500.

I suspect it's the creative staff at NBC. Maybe one of them just got a bright idea for a reality show based on an Internet discussion board. Too bad they didn't think of it when sit coms were the rage. :raz:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

In addition to a new most-users-at-a-time record this morning, 24 new users joined up today.  Is that near a record?  Seems high when the all-time total is about 4500.

I suspect it's the creative staff at NBC. Maybe one of them just got a bright idea for a reality show based on an Internet discussion board. Too bad they didn't think of it when sit coms were the rage. :raz:

Speaking of NBC, I am so sure that Gideon's experience was nothing but happenstance. Rocco just "happened" to pass by, Mark Burnett just "happened" to find him outside and his five camera assistants just "happened" to be five minutes away.

I.E. Survivorsucks.com. Hello.

We've had as many people as 50 or so join on any given day, 20 is about typical.

4500 is our current registration count, but remember we prune the membership every 90 days from people who don't post.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

....... but remember we prune the membership every 90 days from people who don't post.

Does that mean I could change change my username from "Nickn" to just plain "Nick"? I tried to register as Nick when I first got on but the name was already taken. I've never seen a post from "Nick."

ok, so I got ahold of a tape and watched it. I like it. yeah, it has all the bells & whistles all other reality shows have but at least its an interesting subject matter. what I can't figure out is why the 'gotta do this in 6 weeks' and why didn't they do a simpler make-over of the commune site? I know Rocco wanted to 'make it his own', but man they could have saved some heartache there. Is that a dead/undesirable part of town? will the restaurant even make it to December?? How many dinners is it doing now? has the food improved? are people getting paid now?! I think the fast deadline thing was more to create drama & stress than anything else.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Is that a dead/undesirable part of town? will the restaurant even make it to December?? How many dinners is it doing now? has the food improved? are people getting paid now?! I think the fast deadline thing was more to create drama & stress than anything else.

Ibsen just rolled over in his grave.

ok, so I got ahold of a tape and watched it. I like it. yeah, it has all the bells & whistles all other reality shows have but at least its an interesting subject matter. what I can't figure out is why the 'gotta do this in 6 weeks' and why didn't they do a simpler make-over of the commune site? I know Rocco wanted to 'make it his own', but man they could have saved some heartache there. Is that a dead/undesirable part of town? will the restaurant even make it to December?? How many dinners is it doing now? has the food improved? are people getting paid now?! I think the fast deadline thing was more to create drama & stress than anything else.

The Restaurant is now really busy. 260 covers last night.

That area of Manhattan is called The Flatiron District, and Union Pacific (Rocco's other restaurant), is right around the corner. It is a pretty busy area, but the previous chef, Matthew Kenney, who owned Commune has opened and closed several restaurants in the past 6 years. As a matter of fact, the first space that Rocco was whining about in the show that he originally wanted, was also a space previously owned and operated by the same Matthew Kenney.

The 6 week deadline was all about creating Drama, as well as staffing the restaurant with inexperienced people.

People are getting paid, but the pay sucks. If Rocco's is still operating in December, it will only be because of the publicity from the show, which will stop airing in september.

The food has remained the same. There is not much you can do with Veal Parmigiana and meatballs. This food tastes like well made Italian -American fare that you get in any local pizzeria. Decent, but I wouldn't pay more than 8 bucks for Veal Parm anywhere.

A more interesting reality show might be the workings of a culinary school such as CIA or Le Cordon Bleu.

But that'll never happen, since it would actually involve intelligence and real creativity.  :blink:

Soba

Other than "Cooking School Stories" on Food Network?

That seemed like that show needed a touch of the Burnett approach. It was a little too rah rah and tame for my reality TV tastes.

Of course this is coming from someone who was a big fan of Joe Millionaire and Temptation Island. :unsure:

Bill Russell

I don't know,but personally i wouldent wanna camera in my face or in the kitchen I don't know how long i could go about my daily routine with a camera in my face let alone a 6 part mini series. So im sorta skeptical about whether the show is gonna depict real like in a kitchen or a very edited made up view.

Edited by teencook19 (log)

A more interesting reality show might be the workings of a culinary school such as CIA or Le Cordon Bleu.

But that'll never happen, since it would actually involve intelligence and real creativity. :blink:

Soba

Soba,

There's a pretty cool shown that reruns all the time on Discovery, I think, called 'Chefs School'. Takes place at Le Cordon Bleu in London.

Some choice stuff takes place at Gordon Ramsey's place that makes it worth a watch!

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

....... but remember we prune the membership every 90 days from people who don't post.

Does that mean I could change change my username from "Nickn" to just plain "Nick"? I tried to register as Nick when I first got on but the name was already taken. I've never seen a post from "Nick."

Provided it isn't taken, I can just change your user ID to Nick, dude.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Has anyone noticed that the common factor in these reality shows is the high degree of artificiality.  Fake bachelors, fake restaurants.  I am not getting it.  A serious documentary about Union Pacific might be interesting.

Wilfred:

TVFN is airing a five part documentary series that has already started (7/11/03), and runs every consecutive Friday at 9:00 PM ct??? including ...cheese cake factory. greenbriar, commanders palace,Campanile and trio, in that order. I have not seen an episode yet, but I can tell you that the Freelance production company that sold the show to the TVFN is based on integredity and passion. They were good people, with their hearts in the game. I am excited to watch the series, I just need to find the time....

I found the Rocco's show entertaining.

Edited by chefg (log)

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Sunday's show (7/27) is previewed in this morning's Atlanta Journal-Constitution, including a prominent quote from this thread:

Even Anthony Bourdain, the gonzo gourmand ("Kitchen Confidential") who sparked the genre with his backstage restaurant tales, posted a lengthy review on eGullet.com, a Web site favored by food professionals.

The AJC took an unusual tack in having John Kessler, known for food rather than TV writing, do the piece.

Article here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

But that'll never happen, since it would actually involve intelligence and real creativity. 

Well, how about the Brits who have a reality show starring Jamie Oliver? In his current reality show, Jamie takes a bunch of unemployed kids and trains them to run the Restaurant "15" in London. The profits from the restaurant go towards training the next round of kids. Now that seems much more creative, interesting and respectable than the narcissistically driven Rocco's.

And how was Rocco's mom in the kitchen?

All of us involved with the show have our own interpretations/opinions as to the way things went down @ Rocco's- some good, some bad, some truly ugly. I think the general sentiment falls squarely between the middle and latter. The one shining beacon of reality and integrity through it all. The one who, for me, helped to daily assuage the feeling of "what the f*** am I doing here" was Nicolina. She's la bomba, an angelic spirit with a heart the size of a hunk of gnocchi dough. I can't speak specifically of her place in the kitchen, but when she was around you felt right, you felt nurtured and you wanted to do a good job. She represents everything that Rocco's is, according to Rocco, supposed to be. When I would come in to work in the morning, there she was in the kitchen, a sola, rolling those damn meatballs. She'd make me eggs, tell me that her ankles were swollen and ask me "Why you no marry?" She really asked me that.

I think what was so endearing is her naivete to or ignorance of all the crap. She's there to cook and spread the love, and that's it. A remarkable woman. Unfortunately for me, that aforementioned feeling predominated, and no amount of amore italiana could have reversed it.

Stopped by Rocco's after lunch at Blue Smoke about 3:30 for drinks. Asked the hostess, who wouldn't even look up from reading yesterday's NY Post's Page 6 article on Rocco's,she told the bar was closed. The bartender was standing behind the bar. Oh well. I can never figure out why restaurants close the bar between lunch & dinner but that's another topic for another day. As we were standing outside deciding where to continue cocktails, at least 20 people walked in trying to get food & drinks.

Provided it isn't taken, I can just change your user ID to Nick, dude.

Thanks for making that change, Jason. It's a small thing, but I really appreciate it.

oooook... so Rocco was just on Last Call with Carson Daly

He made some sort of cocktail wiener omelette, a vending machine smoothie, deep fried leftover pizza... and some other stuff I blocked out.

erm...

Maybe next week Adria can be on the show and make Skittle foam~

I'm assuming the "vending machine smoothie" was a recreation of the thing he did for those lame DeeJays.

Nah he had a blender with what looked like milk and ice. Being quite drunk tonight I wasn't really paying attention (for the better I believe)... it looked like vanilla sandwich creme cookies he put in.

Reminds me of my ex-girlfriend who thought it would be oh so funny if the secret ingredient on an episode of Iron Chef were to be Cheetos. Actually, that would have been great... Chin would have made a fried rice dish anyway.

Just wanted all to be aware that my local TV listings indicate that NBC is rebroadcasting the first episode of The Restaurant tonight (July 26) AT 8:00 Eastern.

For those who missed it.

Like me.

Rice pie is nice.