• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

I am not going to get into a pissing match with this waiter. I refuse.

As far as Restaurant Daniel's FOH/BOH issues...because it is a chef driven restaurant, the waitstaff is treated like second class citizens. I have seen a manager and a sous chef fistfighting on the floor there.

Le Cirque is run solely by sirio Maccioni. The waiters and the cooks are irrelevant there...it is all about the paparazzi and Page six. The chef submits a menu, and sirio vetoes it. The waiters fight with the cooks but in the end, it's everyone against the big boss.

I can and have envisioned the BOH and FOH working in tandem. I have managed and chefed at only 3 and 4 star restaurants. All with the exception of Rocco's.

I can and have envisioned the BOH and FOH working in tandem.  I have managed and chefed at only 3 and 4 star restaurants. All with the exception of Rocco's.

In small independant restaurants, the staff meal is always the catalyst for animosity between the cooks and the waiters. I worked for many years in a culinary temple here in DC. One night the staff meal was roasted squab elbows. :laugh: I called Dominos, and when the pizzas came refused to give the cooks a slice. Ha! Revenge! The sous chef at the time was Eric Ripert. The place that I am lucky enough to work at now is quite amicable.

Mark

This just in...Chef Dispirito's appearing on Leno tomorrow night (Tuesday 7/22).

This is great.

Rocco couldn't cook anything. Great meatballs, Jay beat him up cause he was a wiseass. Darryl Hannah saved Rocco cause she was so stoned on her Lithium hot spa.

Restaurant's booked for the next few months. Sell my soul to the devil. I don't know?

That Z-100 apperance sticks to my craw and Tonight didn't go well. Hey, he's a star, let's hope he sticks to what made a star. I've never eaten at UP and won't til all this settles but I envision a visit in about 9 months.

Everyone tells me it's great.

Would I do it? I'll let you know in a few weeks. It's not my choice.

As Rocco sat there on the Tonight show, fake smile plastered on his face, listening to Daryl Hannah's rambling, I almost started to feel sorry for him. He looked like he was having an epiphany ... oh Gawd, next stop, Hollywood squares!

As Rocco sat there on the Tonight show, fake smile plastered on his face, listening to Daryl Hannah's rambling, I almost started to feel sorry for him. He looked like he was having an epiphany ... oh Gawd, next stop, Hollywood squares!

Paul Lynne, Charles Nelson Reiily.... nah I'm not goin there.

not that there's anything wrong with that. :wacko:

Odd. They barely mentioned the restaurant or show at all. Just another "cooking demo" segment.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Rocco couldn't cook anything.  Great meatballs,  Jay beat him up cause he was a wiseass. Darryl Hannah saved Rocco cause she was so stoned on her Lithium hot spa.

i couldn't figure out who i was more embarrassed for. she *did* save him a few times, though. what the fuck is she on? how could jay's people let her out like that?

funny that amex gave him a commercial, his 4 maxed out credit cards were rejected each time i ran them to pay for two computers he purchased for me.

his 15 minutes were over when he decided to rebrand his money pit Tuscan.

funny that amex gave him a commercial, his 4 maxed out credit cards were rejected each time i ran them to pay for two computers he purchased for me.

his 15 minutes were over when he decided to rebrand his money pit Tuscan.

Now we just need some of Rocco's ex-lovers to comment on his bedroom abilities. :huh::unsure::hmmm::wacko::rolleyes::blink:

After seeing the link on Gawker, I've just finished reading this entire thread and had to join in....

While I can't confirm for a fact why Commune (previous tenant at Rocco's on 22nd location) closed, I do know, based on my friend who used to work there, that for the last 3-6 months of its existence payroll checks were bouncing like superballs -- when they were issued at all. Every time they did get a check, the staff scrambled to find a check cashing joint in the city that would take it. So, yeah, maybe the upstairs residents were smelling that divine truffled mac and cheese in the middle of the night while rats scurried about the floor...or maybe someone wasn't paying their rent.

And did anyone read waiter/castmember Gideon's "train of thought" page on his website? Illuminating. Gideon Rails

All the fat, all the flavor -

-Fatback

And did anyone read waiter/castmember Gideon's "train of thought" page on his website? Illuminating. Gideon Rails

Well... that was interesting. Now I agree that "Reality TV Sucks", for the most part, but don't you come off as a real poser if you sit out all night to get on a Reality TV show and then complain about "my feeling of ridiculousness about the popularity of Reality TV stars"?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

This thread seems to have an unusual number of first time posting new members.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I am not going to get into a pissing match with this waiter.  I refuse.

As far as Restaurant Daniel's FOH/BOH issues...because it is a chef driven restaurant, the waitstaff is treated like second class citizens.  I have seen a manager and a sous chef fistfighting on the floor there.

I know sous chefs and managers at Daniel. Everyone's definition of a second class citizen may be different, but from what I've seen the FOH isn't treated any worse than the BOH, maybe better. I have no reason to doubt your story, but how and why would it prove that "the waitstaff is treated like second class citizens." Was the sous chef bigger than the manager? Were they fighting on the floor of the kitchen or dining room?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Well... that was interesting. Now I agree that "Reality TV Sucks", for the most part, but don't you come off as a real poser if you sit out all night to get on a Reality TV show and then complain about "my feeling of ridiculousness about the popularity of Reality TV stars"?

His narrative of the spit bucket ordeal on his site was very revealing.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I am not going to get into a pissing match with this waiter.  I refuse.

As far as Restaurant Daniel's FOH/BOH issues...because it is a chef driven restaurant, the waitstaff is treated like second class citizens.  I have seen a manager and a sous chef fistfighting on the floor there.

I know sous chefs and managers at Daniel. Everyone's definition of a second class citizen may be different, but from what I've seen the FOH isn't treated any worse than the BOH, maybe better. I have no reason to doubt your story, but how and why would it prove that "the waitstaff is treated like second class citizens." Was the sous chef bigger than the manager? Were they fighting on the floor of the kitchen or dining room?

I'll bet the manager was the guy with the beard and glasses - he looks like he could put the boots to somebody :biggrin:

The aforementioned fight took place in the kitchen and continued through the door into the dining room. The sous chef was indeed of larger physical stature than the manager.

I said "second class citizen" because it is a chef driven restaurant. The kitchen staff is simply held in a higher regard. Arguments are constant and in the end, it's the kitchen who wins. Just sharing my personal experience here.

Rocco's did indeed average 50 covers per night in the last 2 weeks before the show aired. A different story now of course, but what's true is true. I have no reason to lie, I work there for chrissakes.