• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

Does anyone know where exactly on east 22nd 'the Restaurant' is at?

Did it move into a formerly occupied space?

I used to live on Park Ave. in between 20th and 21st and I know where Union Pacific is but it's next door to a model agency, I believe.

My guess is:

There was an Italian place across the st. from U.P., maybe it's there.

OR,

It moved into that space that housed a Matthew Kenny(?) restaurant called 'Commune', although that place always seemed to be busy when I lived around there. It had been what seemed to be a 'cursed' location but Commune seemed to have busted that rep.

I would love to know.

Thanks!

2317/5000

I am sure this is old news by now but.....

I was watching on NBC Law & Order tonight and there was this advert for a new addition to the reign of reality TV; come on we all new it was going to come sooner or later with Chef cum celebrity; Chef as the rising star phenomenon. The show is called The Restaurant and premiers on July 20th 10/9pm central.

From NBC's URL: Acclaimed Italian-American Chef Rocco DiSpirito along with producers has created an ultra-chic Manhattan eatery titled "Rocco's on 22nd."  While America watches, Rocco will launch and operate this new venture in the heart of Manhattan.  "The Restaurant" will also follow the foibles and flirtations of the wait-staff, bartenders and sous chefs: plus, the diners themselves will offer more than a little entertainment value.  Unlike other reality programming, "The Restaurant" literally caters to the viewing public.  Fans can actually visit the eatery and have the staff welcome them for a truly unforgettable night on the town

Is this good exposure for the culinary industry or just sensationalism? I will be looking forward to seeing how the show plays out. I am worried that the culinary industry will be the buffoonery of reality TV with slick editing and slight of hand the producers will have at their disposal, making the true reality of this business on the cutting room floor, and what gets projected on to the TV sets will be a sham, a far cry to what really goes on behind closed kitchen doors. Will the show show the nitty gritty of the life of a real restaurant worker or just what the public en mas will want to see, will it be Emerilized (made palatable for a large viewing audience)? I still can't get those images of Emeril Lagasse's sitcom on NBC out of my head; talk about sensationalism!

I did not know this before reading up on him but Rocco DiSpirito is not just a celeb-chef for nothing, he is the executive chef of Union Pacific which has a three star rating by the New York Times and won himFood & Wine's best chef of 1999 and landed him on the cover of fall 2000's Gourmet Magazine as "America's most exciting chef." He is also the chef that hosts the Food Network's Melting Pot The accolades go on and on. I find that it is good that a chef of DiSpirito caliber is geting this type of attention but does anyone feel that he is selling out (his food) as a true bona fied chef?

New York Magazine article beggs this above question:

Success put him in the foodie fast lane, with TV tapings, globe-trotting junkets, and a speed dial packed with celebrity pals. Which makes purists wonder: Who's minding the stove?

Rocco's is on 12 East 22nd st in NYC. Has anyone been there yet, is it even open for the public? Rocco's celebrates the Italian-American cooking of Rocco's Jamaica, Queens, childhood

As I said above I am excited to see how this reality show in a sea of reality shows pans out and am just interested what other eggullers think?

Hobbes

For all the talk about this show on here - how many of you are going to actually watch it. I'll admit that being a TV junkie I will check out at least the first episode. Its already programmed into my TIVO. :unsure:

Bill Russell

A restaurant reality show. I'm truly surprised that it hasn't been totally "Burnett-a-fied". Something like ... at the end of each episode, the dishwashers get together and vote on which member of the waitstaff to kick off of the show...

oooh oooh wait or maybe there's a "secret plot twist" where the waitstaff and the line cooks have to switch positions for an evening. Oh the madness that insues...

Or perhaps a "food competition". Win and you get your produce order. Lose and all you get is this jar of peanut butter and half of a lemon.

Please some one else hit the report this post button this time. My wrist hurts.

Hobbes, don't take this personally. We always give dupe posters a bit of hell. :biggrin: It's just that this topic holds some kind of record for dupes. Its not a crime, or actionable in any way. :wink:

In fact, a link to the main Rocco\"The Restaurant" thread is on the eG front page right now, so maybe that will cut down on these duplications by... like... 1%. :hmmm:

ETA - Okay, now we are talking. The above few posts make no sense until you realize that some of this stuff used to be in about seven different threads and got merged.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

For all the talk about this show on here - how many of you are going to actually watch it.  I'll admit that being a TV junkie I will check out at least the first episode.  Its already programmed into my TIVO. :unsure:

Are you kidding?

I'm there for the whole thing!

I went to Union Pacific in 2000, I had the tasting menu paired with wines.

One of the best meals I ever had!

2317/5000

Hi, My name is GotChianti? and I'm a recovering Rocco's employee.

(Chorus: Hi GotChianti)

Inadvertantly linked to this thread. Took a look. This seems the place for me.

I humbly offer my services as liaison, providing a mostly honest appraisal(insofar as I am able, contractually obliged not to ...etc., etc.)

If interest there is, I am here to dispense. If there is none, I'll be here as foodie.

This is my hairshirt.

Hi, My name is GotChianti? and I'm a recovering Rocco's employee.

(Chorus: Hi GotChianti)

Inadvertantly linked to this thread.  Took a look.  This seems the place for me.

I humbly offer my services as liaison,  providing a mostly honest appraisal(insofar as I am able, contractually obliged not to ...etc., etc.)

If interest there is, I am here to dispense.  If there is none, I'll be here as  foodie.

This is my hairshirt.

Oh good. Will the contract prevent you from helping us make fun of this?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I walk by it everyday on my way home from the office. Maybe you'll see me walking by, I'm the one with the WTF is going on here look on his face.

It's where Commune was. Between B'way and Park Avenue South. Big yellow awning that says Rocco's and a banner that says "the cameras have left the restaurant". I'll have to check and see if anyone's in there eating since the opportunity to see Tony having a crisis of conscience over Mama's Meatballs has passed. uhoh2.gif

Commune did always seem to be full of people, so I don't know why it went out.

I walk by it everyday on my way home from the office. Maybe you'll see me walking by, I'm the one with the WTF is going on here look on his face.

It's where Commune was. Between B'way and Park Avenue South. Big yellow awning that says Rocco's and a banner that says "the cameras have left the restaurant". I'll have to check and see if anyone's in there eating since the opportunity to see Tony having a crisis of conscience over Mama's Meatballs has passed. uhoh2.gif

Commune did always seem to be full of people, so I don't know why it went out.

Thanks,Abby!

I'm no longer living in NYC (DAMNIT!!!) but that's another story.

Somehow I knew that's where it was :biggrin:

I wonder what happened to Commune?

Any poop on that?

I hope Rocco has better luck there then everyone else has.

There used to be some frat house type bar there called Rascals, that would have been around '95, then a pretty cool upscale place not unlike Union Pacific, that was helmed by a Canadian chef. I remember having some sort of lobster club sandwich there once for lunch. Pretty good but expensive.

It's a kind of cursed location but if anyone could break the spell, I suppose Rocco could.

Thanks again for the info.

2317/5000

hello Foodies!

I love this site! I have been coming here for ages and only now felt confident enough to post.

Concerning Rocco Dispirito:

What's the deal with "Mom" and her meatballs? I saw Rocco on the Food Network and of course Mom was there. :blink: I wonder where Rocco's significant other fits in? great blurb about Rocco and "the Restaurant" from Michael Musto in the Village Voice. I must post the link for it.....

My partner and I saw the small bit tonite (7/17) on NBC for "The Restaurant",we were absolutely dying!! The fire in the kitchen was priceless. :unsure:

Anybody planning on going to PTown to eat should stay away from The Mews; full story posted upon request

I know this is on the Food & Media board but wanted to give it a little local flavor.

I'm looking forward to this as it's about an hour away.

First, I think this will be entertaining for those that don't work in the food industry and are curious about the inner problems that occur. They are touting the "fire in the kitchen" as one of the highlights and I will tell you now with all the fire prevention classes we have to take plus the inspections, this will be a lowlight.

Second, the waitstaff, even though most will be actors ( a good amount of waitstaff in NY are actors ) will be true to be form. They'll be neurotic, with many outside problems and there will be plenty of sexual flirting.

Third, I'm jealous. Why doesn't anyone want to make a TV show about restaurants in Jersey.

I can't wait to hear everyone's comments & reactions.

Lou