• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

I think it's about time for a reality show in a professional kitchen but with Rocco Dispirito? Does that guy even curse? While I can appreciate his food (the guy's brilliant) and his business acumen I can't imagine the viewership getting the full picture with him as our guide. He is after all a card carrying member of the pastel food network club. Who wants to watch a level-headed guy like him knocking out orders and directing traffic. I'd rather watch Ripert or G. Ramsey conduct their affairs in front of the camera. Sure, I'm a curmudgeon, but I know it'd be a lot more interesting to watch a brut than an angel.

Sure, I'm a curmudgeon, but I know it'd be a lot more interesting to watch a brut than an angel.

Well, a good bit of what makes the brut or the angel fly are Q scores (odd, difficult to interpret numbers that indicate popularity), or estimated Qs based on test audiences and focus groups. If this were on cable, I could certainly see the advantage of going with the vulgar, tyrannical brut. That stuff sells like hot cakes...but this is a network venture, and the brutes rarely win in that arena for some reason. When you're playing to the lower half of the midrange, I guess ya gotta be nice.

The larger question is, is that reality? Then again, is any of the reality-based stuff reality? In Rocco's kitchen, I suppose it will be as real as the magic of television will allow it to be.

Spencer, I'm with you. I would love to sit back and watch real-life kitchen underlings get their asses chewed. Yes, that would entertain me. Perhaps we would be happier if they acquired Chef from the BBC and just ran that? Sure, an eGullet crowd would dig it (envision the Food Network if it were left to us to make the decisions)...but what about those sizable portions of the population that consider a night at Applebee's big doings? The networks perceive this demographic as lacking the ability to see things the way we do, Spencer. Unfortunately, those same numbers tell the networks that these are the people most responsible for helping them get their bills paid. Apparently, there are more of them than there are of us. Therefore, "evil" must always meet with "justice." Conflict must be brought to happy resolution and this must be neatly wrapped up before the end credits illegibly scroll up in that vertical sliver of television screen while your perky, dashing local anchors tell you about all the bad news they're about to report.:unsure:

Without a doubt, someone like Bourdain would be more like what we would expect. Think of it -- ranting, raving, screaming, sarcasm, chain smoking -- it would be great, but no network could leave it at that. Again, think of it...Sorry Tony, the last ten minutes of the show are approaching. The network says it's time, once again, for you to get your "evil" ass kicked by the lowly recipients of your abuse. This week, it's out back by the garbage cans. Gotta even this up and make it right. The shoddy vendors and half-wit line cooks that you've mercilessly barked at in this week's episode must have a say and make sure that you get yours...

We can't put Bourdain through that every week. Rocco it is.

Oh, and yes, Spencer, you are a curmudgeon. I wouldn't change a thing. :smile:

Whoops!

Here's a link to the press release......

"The Restaurant"

We had a fairly extensive discussion a while back on this, but I've come to the conclusion that it must have been in the dearly departed "off topic" area, since I can't find the bloody thing.

I recall a humorous suggestion that we try and plan an eGullet event at "The Restaurant" and have fun with the whole thing.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I have confirmation that Rocco is not as pleasant in his kitchen as he is in all of his media outlets and venues. He is supposed to be quite "vocal" in the kitchen.

Of course which personality will come out? TV chef or 3 star restaurant chef?

I have confirmation that Rocco is not as pleasant in his kitchen as he is in all of his media outlets and venues.  He is supposed to be quite "vocal" in the kitchen.

Of course which personality will come out?  TV chef or 3 star restaurant chef?

I will put my money on the latter. Eventually people almost always forget the camera is present when there's no script. Perhaps Rocco will be destined for that "meeting" at the trash cans.

A bit of info:

Ironically as of today Trio began installing live webcams into the kitchen to be broadcast on the Trio website. Should be fun, or not. Also TVFN is doing a six piece documentary on different types of food service outlets, Trio will be featured. To air 1st week of June. Who needs big networks and commercials?

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Sure, I'm a curmudgeon, but I know it'd be a lot more interesting to watch a brut than an angel.

Well, a good bit of what makes the brut or the angel fly are Q scores (odd, difficult to interpret numbers that indicate popularity), or estimated Qs based on test audiences and focus groups. If this were on cable, I could certainly see the advantage of going with the vulgar, tyrannical brut. That stuff sells like hot cakes...but this is a network venture, and the brutes rarely win in that arena for some reason. When you're playing to the lower half of the midrange, I guess ya gotta be nice.

The larger question is, is that reality? Then again, is any of the reality-based stuff reality? In Rocco's kitchen, I suppose it will be as real as the magic of television will allow it to be.

Spencer, I'm with you. I would love to sit back and watch real-life kitchen underlings get their asses chewed. Yes, that would entertain me. Perhaps we would be happier if they acquired Chef from the BBC and just ran that? Sure, an eGullet crowd would dig it (envision the Food Network if it were left to us to make the decisions)...but what about those sizable portions of the population that consider a night at Applebee's big doings? The networks perceive this demographic as lacking the ability to see things the way we do, Spencer. Unfortunately, those same numbers tell the networks that these are the people most responsible for helping them get their bills paid. Apparently, there are more of them than there are of us. Therefore, "evil" must always meet with "justice." Conflict must be brought to happy resolution and this must be neatly wrapped up before the end credits illegibly scroll up in that vertical sliver of television screen while your perky, dashing local anchors tell you about all the bad news they're about to report.:unsure:

Without a doubt, someone like Bourdain would be more like what we would expect. Think of it -- ranting, raving, screaming, sarcasm, chain smoking -- it would be great, but no network could leave it at that. Again, think of it...Sorry Tony, the last ten minutes of the show are approaching. The network says it's time, once again, for you to get your "evil" ass kicked by the lowly recipients of your abuse. This week, it's out back by the garbage cans. Gotta even this up and make it right. The shoddy vendors and half-wit line cooks that you've mercilessly barked at in this week's episode must have a say and make sure that you get yours...

We can't put Bourdain through that every week. Rocco it is.

Oh, and yes, Spencer, you are a curmudgeon. I wouldn't change a thing. :smile:

Nice to hear you're not offended by my unceasing vitriol Aurora. And I agree with ya whole-heartedly. Maybe the cable networks, pending success of the Rocco shennanigans, will option a show with a little more bite in the foreseeable future. I'm predicting mass success for Mr. Dispirito--and also predicting that he'll be checking camera angles incessantly to make sure his ass pokes out of his checks to the great satisfaction of the Tyler Florence contingents. I don't predict any juicy rants, and employee harrassment by Mr. Zippdy Do Pastel Model Face--but time will weigh in as it is wont to do. And about Bourdain switching gears and going back to the adorable fucker that he was in KC, I think he's too taken with becoming the Rudy Maxa/Hunter S. Thompson world traveller to put that bloody apron on and sew up his dishwashers ass-slash in front of a hung over waitstaff for TV. I don't blame him one bit but he's not going back to that, I can assure you. He's finally reached his comfort zone...

A bit of info:

Ironically as of today Trio began installing live webcams into the kitchen to be broadcast on the Trio website. Should be fun, or not. Also TVFN is doing a six piece documentary on different types of food service outlets, Trio will be featured. To air 1st week of June. Who needs big networks and commercials?

Where Margot's leads..others will follow :laugh::laugh:

A bit of info:

Where Margot's leads..others will follow :laugh::laugh:

:laugh:

Noise is music. All else is food.

A bit of info:

chef, you should link Trio's website in your profile, and/or add it to your signature.

• 1 month later...

Fact or Fiction: NBC will soon shoot 6 episodes of its new reality TV show, The Restaurant, starring Rocco diSpirito at his new space, aptly named Rocco's.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

i'm wondering how much of the waitstaff will be actors/actresses trying to get their first big break and hoping for more exposure at a key moment in the show?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.