• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 1

bpearis

Jebus, Murray, and Yosif. :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

:unsure::shock::sad::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On NBC? Broadcast? The bleeps will overpower everything else on the soundtrack! :wacko: And is this to be 1 hour per week for six weeks? Don't you wish YOU could build and open a new restaurant in only 6 weeks? :blink:

edit: great minds think alike, Belmont.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Has anyone noticed that the common factor in these reality shows is the high degree of artificiality. Fake bachelors, fake restaurants. I am not getting it. A serious documentary about Union Pacific might be interesting.

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

Remember "Tattingers?" Nathan Lane's sitcom? Emeril's sitcom? "Three's Company?" (note to the management: we need a :gack: smiley).

Belmont -- the article said that NBC isn't putting ANY $$$$ into this project -- it's all to be funded by product placement and sponsors. Can't you just see Rocco saying, "Wait, you know what this Nabisco ® -saltine -crusted, Doxsee ® canned oyster dish needs to be perfect? A sauce with Hellman's ® Mayonnaise and Heinz ® India Relish , and a wedge of Sunkist ® lemon!"

Hmm. About the 'reality'. This won't be filmed at UP, but rather at a specially-built site. I read that as: filmed on a set. And they'll be arranging the 'patrons'. I read that as: actors.

But I'm the skeptical sort.

Hmm. About the 'reality'. This won't be filmed at UP, but rather at a specially-built site. I read that as: filmed on a set. And they'll be arranging the 'patrons'. I read that as: actors.

But I'm the skeptical sort.

but they also say that anyone can make reservations. i wonder if the restaurant will continue after the show ends?

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

This is just the break I am looking for. Here is the plan I fly to New York make reservations at the Restaurant. Than I get one of those multi coloured afro wigs and a John 316 sign. Than as the food comes out I scream Your the Man to know one in particular. Now of course one of the NBC executives notices my obvious talent and next thing you know I have my own show like Kieth Famie.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

This is just the break I am looking for. Here is the plan I fly to New York make reservations at the Restaurant. Than I get one of those multi coloured afro wigs and a John 316 sign. Than as the food comes out I scream Your the Man to know one in particular. Now of course one of the NBC executives notices my obvious talent and next thing you know I have my own show like Kieth Famie.

I haven't the words...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 months later...

This just off the NRN subsciber mail:

"Rocco to roll: Chef, 'Survivor' creator cook up reality-TV show"

A new television series called "The Restaurant" is supposed to debut on NBC next July. NRN reports that six-episodes of a reality based docudrama is going to follow Rocco DiSpirito opening a new restaurant here in NYC.

Nick

Please invite me when you do this!