• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Veggies That Aren't Green

Akiko,

try salting it first and letting it sit to remove some of the bitterness. rinse off afterwards, and see if you like it.

funny you say that about it being too bitter because I've NEVER liked coffee, and I find coffee too bitter for me. The only way I'll take coffee is via coffee ice cream.

Soba

Bitter Melon is evil. It resides on the eigth circle of fruit and veg hell between the Durian Hell and the Brussel Sprout Hell.

Anyhow, back to the original topic: Bamboo pith, which has a more glorious wet-but-crunchy texture when stewed. Slightly reminiscent of deep-fried braised/stewed pork skin.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Jon,

that's hysterical.

What do you have against brussel sprouts?

Akiko

for a start they taste bitter. now as it is well known, bitter is nature's way of warning this are POISONOUS

a brussel sprout is nothing more than a stunted, bitter tasting cabbage. think. if you were offered a stunted, poisonous, bitter-tasting carrot you would send it back. why should brussel sprouts be any different???

Hell is not, with the possible exception of my landlord, other people. Hell is a twelve course brussel sprout degustation.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Clearly I need to come up with a brussel sprout tasting menu. :blink:

But if I can convince Wilfrid, then I can convince you. muahahahah.

You haven't had brussel sprouts until you've had them in a pasta sauce. (Yeah, this isn't even remotely Chinese, so sue me.)

Does tofu count?

Soba