• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Discovery Menu at Rover's

OK, it's not 25 for $25, but...

In addition to their regular 5-course Menu Degustation and 8-course Grand Menu Degustation, Rover's will soon be offering a 3-course "Discovery Menu." It will be available beginning March 25, Tuesday - Friday only. Price is $55/person. The selection will change (probably daily), but here's a sample of what you might find (according to the Rover's newsletter).

Smoked Salmon Blini and Foie Gras Terrine

with Micro Greens and a Sherry Vinaigrette

~

Atlantic John Dory

with Braised Leeks and a Saffron Emulsion

-or-

Sonoma Squab Breast

with Butternut Squash and a Laurel Sauce

~

Symphony of Desserts

They are also apparently making some of their signature dishes available separately. I don't recall the a la carte offerings from my last visit, but then again, I haven't visited Rover's for a while. Perhaps this is old news.

• 1 year later...

It seems Rover's is trying something new.. yet again. This one sounds like it will be on the winning side for diners.

I'd love to try the 3-course $35 lunch on a Friday sometime, maybe Friday May 28 if they have openings? Anyone else care to join me? Post here if you are and I'll call and see if reservations are available.

PRESS RELEASE:

Seattle, Washington---Rover’s inimitable James Beard award winning chef, Thierry Rautureau (otherwise known as the Chef in the Hat!!!) is encouraging Seattle-ites to expand their tasting experiences by adding two new ways to dine at his Madison Valley restaurant. Beginning Friday, May 21st, the Chef in the Hat!!! invites guests to celebrate the end of their week with “Friday Lunch” at Rover’s. Seatings will be available between noon and 2 p.m. Rover’s will feature an A la Carte menu of signature dishes as well as a 3-course lunch for $35.00. A la Carte dishes are priced from $8 - $19. Rover’s full Wine Spectator award winning wine list will be available, including Champagne and wine by the glass, and over 100 choices by the half-bottle. Thierry suggests that this is the perfect way for guests to start the weekend on a high note – whether over a business “power” lunch, dining with friends, or celebrating the end of the work-week, by coming out for an exceptional mid-day dining experience. Reservations are encouraged for “Friday Lunch” at Rover’s; walk-ins are welcome. For reservations or information call (206) 325-7442.

In addition, after a great deal of research and many customer requests, Rover’s will present an “A la Carte” dinner menu along with its traditional three pre-set menus, beginning Tuesday, May 25th. “People worldwide are dining out more often and asking for more choices,” says Thierry. “They still want a Grand Dinner for special occasions, but for more frequent dining, they want to try as many ‘taste experiences’ as possible (and keep it fun!). Our new A la Carte menu is something we would like to make available to our loyal customers so they have several dining options at Rover’s.” Rover’s A la Carte dinner menu items will range from $14 to $20, encouraging guests to select from a full range of the award winning restaurant’s dishes in order to create their own incredible dining experience. For reservations call (206) 325-7442.

# # # #

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I'm exited to check out the changes at Rover's. Count me in for lunch on the 28th! (I might be able to make June 4th if that's better for others, but not the 11th).

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I can't do it on May 28, but June 4 is good for me.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Ok, I'm thinking the 4th seems a good day. I'll give people until tomorrow to post if they want to join us, then I'll call and make reservations in the afternoon (read: sign on now people, or you'll miss the boat!)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

This was in Nancy Leson's column in the Wed. food section of the Times. Please sign me up for June 4th.

Thanks!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Are we still doing this?

Jan

Seattle, WA

We're on!

I made reservations for 5 at noon June 4. Please let me know ASAP if you can't make it so I can either change the number for our reservation or find others to take your place.

I have the following on the list:

Me

LEdlund

MsRamsey

SeaGal

matsutakekichigai

FYI: You have to give a credit card number to reserve your space. They do not charge you in advance, or charge you a fee for cancellation even if the reservations are cancelled on the same day, or charge a fee if someone in your party bails at the last minute (which I'm hoping doesn't happen to us, because that's just embarassing). However, they will charge a $25 per person fee if your party is a no show.

This is what their web site says about reservations:

Q: Why am I asked for my credit card when I make a reservation?

A: It is our policy to take a credit card number to hold every reservation as a guarantee that our guest will honor their reservation. If a reservation is not honored or has not been cancelled by 3:00 p.m. of the day of your reservation a "No-Show" fee of $25.00 per person will be charged to your credit card.

-- Frank Bruni

Hi Steve! I'll call and see if I can bump up the reservations to 6. If you bail on us, we will post about your absence, and talk about you while we lunch :biggrin:

-- Frank Bruni

FYI: You have to give a credit card number to reserve your space. 

chow girl, do you want each of us to call Rover's and give them our credit card number or am I reading this incorrectly. I've inked it in on the calendar for June the 4th! Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for this great deal! See you there at noon or a little before!

No need to give your credit card number. I put the reservation on my card. I sent you details of the lunch via PM. :biggrin:

-- Frank Bruni

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to bring this back up to the top since it's NEXT WEEK.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Looking very forward to it!

Jan

Seattle, WA

I also want to remind the lunch-goers (because she's too nice) that girlchow has our reservation secured with her credit card, so if you can't come for some reason, please let her know several days ahead of time. Thank you.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Thanks for the reminder MsRamsey -- and ditto on the credit card thing, let me know ASAP if you can't make it!

LMF, my apologies! We've already got a wait list for the lunch, but I will add you on it. I'll PM you with details on how we can communicate offboard if someone bails and we need an alternate.

I'm thinking someone else needs to organize a lunch at Rover's... of course, feel free to do so after we eat there and provide you all with the gory details :wink:

-- Frank Bruni