• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Definitely Southern Find

ditsydine

I can't lie, I hate Food Lion. I find their stores dirty, I don't trust their meat, I went one summer to get a canteloupe and they didn't even carry them (they weren't out,) oh yeah, one near me in college had all the produce shrink wrapped--it was a bad neighborhood, but it seemed kind of racist as one a couple of blocks up didn't.

Anyway, this is not a Food LionThread, really, but I did find myself in one last weekend, as there are times one wants to shop without having to remove one's self from where they already are (Dollar General lol--I love that place!)

I got the urge to eat sherbet (world's worst word to pronouce), for some bizzaro reason--and there in the case, they had Cheerwine as well as SunDrop Sherbet!!!!!

Not only was this the quinessential Food LIon product, but definitely an only in the south item. Imagined punchbowls full of Hawaiian punch, Sundrop sherbet, and 7-up at a baby shower. I had to buy some.

I must say I like the Sundrop version better "With Sundrop Concentrate,' but the Cheerwine is not so shabby.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the Cheerwine sherbet but hadn't tried the Sundrop version. I'll definitely look for it.

But can I say one thing in defense of Food Lion? The ones around me are good sources for things like bones for stock and for lard, because they often cater to fixed-income, older shoppers who do more traditional Southern cooking. (Not great lard, mind you -- not leaf lard -- but they usually have the kind in the bucket, which is worlds better than the stuff in the box.)

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Not sure whether the Food Lion near us carries Cheerwine sherbert, but it's the only place around here where I can reliably get Duke's mayonnaise and White Lily flour. Previously I had been loading up on Duke's whenever we were visiting my sister in Charlotte. Duke's isn't as good as homemade, but it's way better than Hellman's or Kraft.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

you guys are absolutely right about going there for downhome items & they seem to have the best assortment of mexican groceries, then I'd say Kroger.

Did any of you venture into that budget supermarket that was on the corner of Atlantic and Spring Forest in Raleigh. I forgot the name, it started with an "S" and they'd have each day stuff like "50% off all meat" the one time I went in, I was the only person in there and it was kind of a bizzaro world atmosphere--yellow and red floor.

Dollar General is my new fave place for crap I don't need.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

• 2 weeks later...

ditsy, it's not Food Lion, it's FOOD LIAR.

winn dixie is the nasty local chain in GA. WD brand stands for, What dis?

anyway, enough of my condescending humor. :smile:

my mother owns stock in Dollar General. she believes it is the answer to all social problems. she says, You might be poor, but you still need toothpaste. :smile:

Correction to my earlier post: I've been in two Food Lions in two days, looking to restock my lard supply. (I went in to buy Ditsy's Cheerwine sherbet. It comes in ice cream with a Cheerwine swirl and sherbet; I haven't tasted it yet, but my husband says it has possibilities for a good Coke float.) Anyway, no lard. They used carry Lundy's in a 5-pound bucket, which was decent quality lard for baking. I finally found some Inca in a Mexican market, but that leads me to a question: Does anybody have a source for good lard in Charlotte, N.C.?

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer