• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Wines

Just wondering what your opinion was on Texas wines. Have you had the opportunity to taste any?

I realize a lot of states produce wine, but in the past 5 years it seems wines from The Lone Star State have made leaps and bounds.

Also, I'd like to make one recommendation -- Becker Vineyards Viognier. This wine blew me away. I have no affiliation with the vineyard (too bad, huh!) but I am proud to live near a vineyard that can make magic with this grape.

I guess this leads me to my second question. Do you think Viognier is an up and comer?

My first - omigod wine was a Texas wine. Nothing probably real special but this was after stuff I shouldn'a been drinking in my early college years. It had a cork (I took my 1st wine class in TX).

TX has some nice stuff. Viognier is a special thing, but not an up and comer because it is hard to grow so it will never be something you see in quantity. I like Becker's reds, too.

Most other than west coast wine states have limitations on water availability, and Texas faces that. But let's hope all 50 power on!

A