• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine tastings

I attended a free wine tasting at marios batallis italian wine merchants a couple of months ago. By i only found out about it through a good friend of mine. Where are teh best places to look for free tasting? Do you just call different wine shops in our area? I would guess try to be put on wine shop mailing lists and such would help. My culinary friends and i do try to get together and do some wine tasting with some cheese from murry's and that does help. Thanks for the tips i apreciate it.

Wine shop mailing lists are good, as well as mailing lists for wine educational programs. The best link I've found is: Local Wine Events

You can just plug in your area and it will give you a listing of local events. Remember though, that most of the bigger free of charge events are for "professionals" and they don't just let folks in off the street, no matter how wine interested they might be. Wine purveyors only pour their stuff for potential BUYERS like retail shop owners, restaurant Beverage Managers, Bar owners, etc. The end consumer isn't really who they're after - they want VOLUME purchasers. I say stick with your friends if they're in the wine biz, and tag along whenever possible. Otherwise, find wine shops that always have a few bottles open to taste with the customers, and make sure you get onto their mailing lists in particular.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I basically agree with Katie. However I would suggest that if you are really serious about wine and buy lots, and from the same shop, you have a chance to be included in the professional tastings. Your favourite shop would probably schlep you along.That is a great way to taste very expensive though young wines, that you otherwise cannot afford or can't find. That has helped me to find affordable wines that somewhat come close to the expensive unavailable ones. Have fun and keep trying.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"