• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sweet wines

The bottle is a 2001 Quail's Gate Optima from the Okanagan. I probably won't be back in Vancouver anytime soon, so I want to enjoy it at its best advantage. What kind of desserts do you lean toward for a wine that sweet -- or am I wrong to keep it in that role?

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Hello, anointed one! (I hope it's you!)

That's a super-sweetie. I did a crazy thing recently that worked in this situation. I made a mascarpone-whipped cream mixture and sandwiched it with pound cake. I put little bits of nut brittle in the mascarpone mixture, but I wanted to try crushed up snickerdoodles or something like that, too. But the main thing is the mascarpone mixture and a soft cake. Such an interesting not over-sweet counterpoint to the wine.

Enjoy!!!!!!

How is the novel coming?