• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wall Street

Andrea,

You mentioned earlier that you used to work in Wall Street. How did you move from finance to wine? I and many of my friends are in business with thoughts of leaving it to do something related to food or wine.

Thanks

P.S. I enjoyed the fine living show from Kohler, but why did Gordon Elliot cohost if he obviously doesn't drink?

I left Wall Street prepared to accept a substantial pay cut for a liveable period of time, with the plan to return if wine didn't work out. I volunteered at wine and cooking schools emptying spit buckets and did equally glamourous things to meet people, network, and learn. I took classes. If you have access to a sabbatical program, I'd suggest that. I worked weekends at a wine shop. Not pretty, but the pain was fairly short-lived, and very do-able compared to the daily pain of hating your job (I didn't, but recognized I didn't love it, and knew I needed to be one of those people who loves their job). C'mon in, the water's fine (if you are willing to work)!

A