• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just A Shameless Shill

ngatti

Oh dear, was I just likened to a suburban Sally Struthers???

you're much more attractive. of this i'm sure.

but you gotta admit, your emotional plea was a little over-the-top. :raz:

Much more attractive! :wub:

I don't see that she made a plea but rather tried to make a rational to how better to spend ones money and make a difference.

And if it does come down to a plea, then sometimes that is what it takes to get people going. Neither MSP nor I are trying to politicize this. Just trying to get people out to have some fun, some great food (this site is about food right? :raz:) and at the same time help out some less fortunate folks.

Aside from this particular event and Marge assigning some relative value to the ticket amount--there are other non-monetary ways for everyone reading this thread to "help out some less fortunate folks" as David mentioned. If not Table to Table then some similar food recovery operation where you live. One big way you can make a difference is by giving your time--call these organizations up, ask for the volunteer coordinator and offer to come in on your days off or on the weekend to cook or assist with food prep or offer to drive their vans around to pick up food to recycle or to drop it off at homeless shelters and soup kitchens. You don't get the gala treatment, but some might find it more rewarding than taking out their checkbook and organizations like this need all kinds of support, all kinds of volunteers. And they need it year-round not just for one night.

There are many different ways to show you care and many different ways to make a difference beside buying a ticket. Find the way that might work best for you. If you're a chef, and already volunteer in events like this--use your network to get other chefs involved or use your corporate connections to foodservice suppliers to get them to make a significant donation of cash or product to help organizations like this; if you're a professional writer--get your magazines or newspapers to headline or sponsor events like this. At the very least get them to run a picture of the event after the fact. Every little bit helps.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

[Have you ever been hungry? Truly, painfully hungry?The kind of hunger that sears through your belly, making you feel hot and cold and weak, that takes over your brain so there seems to be nothing in the world to think about except your need to eat.

]

- Luckily not. HAVE YOU MSP. I hope you are not on the fundraising committee.

I have arranged to volunteer for this event, and I'm trying to find another person or two willing to put in some time to this worthwhile event. If anyone is interested in some information, please contact me via PM or e-mail, and I'll tell you what I know.

Two things - not hard, and good cause. Please try to make it.

Thank you.

I'd have considered it but it's a bit of a cruise on a "school night."

I am attending an event more local to me that is supporting the Monmouth County Foodbank.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

It's now cloudy down at Exit109, it sprinkled a bit at lunch.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Maybe somebody that's there tonight could give us a blow by blow account of what's happening. Gatti's got a connection in his office. Since he resigned from gullet (wimp :biggrin:), maybe Elyse or Nockrel could could give us a report on what's happening and how it's going.

Maybe somebody that's there tonight could give us a blow by blow account of what's happening. Gatti's got a connection in his office. Since he resigned from gullet (wimp :biggrin:), maybe Elyse or Nockrel could could give us a report on what's happening and how it's going.

Besides not helping out a great cause, this is what you all missed and let me say it was an impressive assortment:

HD's by Back Street Baker and Caterer: (Christine COgan Kimmerle)

Italian style lump crab cake with red onion remoulade

Grilled pesto shrimp skewers with sun-dried tomato

Warm caramelized onion and goat cheese tarlets

Tuna aux poivre with wasabi aioli

Dinner

Alpine Country Club (Nick Gatti): DOminican SLow Roasted Pigs with Mojo, Yucca Mashed and Fried Plantain chips

Andiamo(Linda Dickstein):Mini Crab Cakes with Sweet Corn Relish and a drizzle of Mustard sauce

America (Kenneth Collins): Apricot Glazed Baby Lamb Chops

Arthur's Landing (E.J. Laguerra): Moo Shoo Weapped Hoisin Roasted Grouper

Assembly (Jack Koumbis): Grilled Marinated Scallops with Wild Mushroom Risotto and Frizzled Leeks

Bacari Grill(Artie Toufayan): Chicken, Pork and Shrimp with Asian Ccumber salad and Peanut Soy Sauce

Chart House (Gene Scola): Seared Yellofin Ahi Tuna with Garlic Miso Ginger Sauce

Citrus Grille (Steven Christianson): Ceviche Duo:Scallops on the Shell and Salmon Ceviche Roll

The Dining Room at Anthony David's (Anthony Pino): Juniper Chipotle Crusted Pork Tenderloin

Golden Dynasty (Tom SHen): Crispy Shrimp with creamy White Sauce and Vegetable Lo Mein

Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs(David Finkelstein): Pulled Pork and Chicken Sannies with Sweet Potato Torte

Indigo Smoke(Lance W. Knowling): Kansas CIty Baby Back Ribs

In Napoli(Michael De Nigris): Cajun Pork Casserole with Red Beans

Legal Seafoods: (Steve Calise): New England Clam Chowder

LuNello (Louis Seger): Grilled Breast of Duck with field greens and Dried Fruit

Maize: (Terrence Soto): Pink Peppercorn Crusted Tuna and Maya Prawn Duo with SUn-dried Fruit Risotto

Napa Valley Grille(Ken Trickilo): Grilled Pekin Duck Breast with Chipotle Pepper and Asparagus Flan

Park and Orchard (Buddy Gebhardt): Grilled Blackened Salmon with Lemon Butter Sauce

The River Palm Terrace(Christopher Tate): Lemon Pepper Grilled Sea Scallop on Polenta Cake with Balsamic Glaze; Grilled Marinated Kobe Skirt Steak on a Garlic Crostini with Heirloom Tomato Salsa

Rosa Mexicano (NYC) (Roberto Santibanez): Rosa Mexican's "Best in NYC" Guacamole and Tortilla Chips (made right there as they served it)

Ruga Restaurant (Mark Speight and Michael Antolino): Roasted Loin of Pork with SMoked Tomato Sauce and Chipotle Corn Risotto Cakes

Spirito Grill(Joseph Mastrella) WIld Mushroom and Black Truffle Risotto

The Westmount Country Club (Dennis King): Sasage and Chicken Gumbo

Village Grille(Tom Okempo): Kafte Kabob with Hummus and Pita

Dessert

La Petite Patisserie(Tricia Vanech): Friandise; Alpine Rose

Starbucks Coffee

San Pelligrino

Acqua Panna

Fabulous Wines from over 30 Different Producers arranged by Carlo Rossi

Chef Charlie Palmer (Honoree)

CHef David Burke

Chef Peter Kelley

and others were all in attendence

So, the $150 bucks bought a lot and helped out a great cause.

It was great to meet Elyse, a gentle soul, a wonderful spirit and a person who helped out in her own way to make a difference. And she got a ride back to NYC with Charlie Palmer, not bad..... :laugh:

Edited by Nockerl (log)

and it didn't rain!  good for you.  quite a line-up.  was it even possible to try everything?

Tommy, it was very possible to taste everything, and go back for 2nd's or thirds. There were 350 guests but the tables were never crowded so getting hot food was never a problem. It was set up for people to graze. SO you'd his a few tables, sit down, eat, drink, then go back for more. Very pleasant, very fun and very delicious. :wub:

Tommy, it was very possible to taste everything, and go back for 2nd's or thirds. There were 350 guests but the tables were never crowded so getting hot food was never a problem.

nackersl, i was referring to the amount of selections. i'd be full by the second table! :wacko:

Tommy, it was very possible to taste everything, and go back for 2nd's or thirds. There were 350 guests but the tables were never crowded so getting hot food was never a problem.

nackersl, i was referring to the amount of selections. i'd be full by the second table! :wacko:

I'm not so sure. I saw you put it away at China 46 :raz::laugh:

I heard that it was a wonderful event...usually, there are 1/2 dozen dishes or tables that there is a crowd around, and then not as much demand for the others. I heard that last night's event was well balanced, with a diverse crowd and lines at almost every table...I suspect Nick really knows his market at the Alpine..its such a lovely club.

I am attending a similiar event at Jasna Ploana at the end of the month, which is a Princeton area club...not any big name guests, and fewer selections, and supported by members...but for local area soup kitchens and food programs.

It was great to meet Elyse, a gentle soul, a wonderful spirit and a person who helped out in her own way to make a difference. And she got a ride back to NYC with Charlie Palmer, not bad..... :laugh:

Too bad it was wasted on me! Jerry was an absolute dear though.

And who you callin gentle soul? You're blowing my cover! :angry:

Really, it was a great time, and Nockerl looks nothing like his avatar. :biggrin: He, Marge, and Nick were so warm and friendly and sweet, I just can't stand it! I felt completely at home in this alien setting. Thanks guys! And my GOD the place smelled good! Grass, flowers, and bales of hay. Mmmmm. Not to mention when the chefs started cooking!

What was the ice cream? Buttermilk?

If you missed it you missed IT. There was nothing bad, but a few standouts (in my mind) were: Chart houses tuna was excellent, perfectly seared with just the right amount of spice, Maize's lamb carpaccio with a walnut, artichoke quenelle. Citrus Grill's scallop ceviche (mmmmm) Nick's foie gras, and all of the hors d vors, Alpine lace's Peti fors, and the garnish on napa valley's duck, a chipotle asparagus flan, may well have been my favorite thing, the moo shu grouper was also very tasty, but i am easy when it comes to things like that, oh yeah and Fink's BBQ was the best :raz:

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!