• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

big wine bottles

richw

I think those massive wine & champagne bottles are so cool!! I am wondering if anyone knows how I can obtain one, preferrably an empty one. I know the distribution of them is limited and the wine reps probably give them to their clients for decorative purposes. If nobody here knows how to get one, then I know that they are truly rare. I searched eBay--no luck

Rich

Edited by richw (log)

South Florida

The big Champagne houses produce many empty big bottles (dummys) for promotional purposes. I am suprised they are not showing up on e-Bay. You might try checking with large retailers to see if you can buy a dummy. Other ones are siting around on display in restaurants.

WARNING: While the Champagne houses do produce many full bottles of these giants - the wines go flat very soon - after a couple of years or less. Avoid buying oversized bottles that have been lying around for a long time.

Craig,

I think that would apply much more to Champagne than it would to large bottles of still wine. I don't have a whole lot of experience in this matter, but everything I have read leads me to believe that large bottles(reds especially) will last longer and age better than will the smaller bottle of the same wine.

Porkpa

One of my relatives collects primarily large format bottles of her favorite producers. The best way to obtain them is to contact the winery directly. Once they know you are interested they will usually contact you whenever they have some available. A less reliable way is to contact your local distributor directly. However, these guys are usually less than trustworthy. You will probably pay a premium.

Craig,

I think that would apply much more to Champagne than it would to large bottles of still wine. I don't have a whole lot of experience in this matter, but everything I have read leads me to believe that large bottles(reds especially) will last longer and age better than will the smaller bottle of the same wine.

Porkpa

Yes - I was only referring to large format bottles of sparkling wine. Red wines generally age more slowly in large bottles.

rich ,

if you have a good connection with a restaurant or liquor store ask them if they can get a dummy bottle from one of their wine reps. All the big houses make them, Ie: Roederer, Cliquot, Moet and so on. If you lucky enough, most of these large format bottles come in their own wooden presentation cases. good luck

Thanks to ALL of you for your great suggestions. I'll post back - hopefully with the good news that my search turned out to be successful. And I cannot believe that I couldn't find a single one on eBay.

Thanks,

Rich :biggrin:

South Florida

I have always heard that wine ages better in large format bottles.  Perhaps another question for the esteemed Ms. Immer?

Better is the debated part. One thing for sure it ages more slowly. However this does not apply to Champagne beyond the magnum (1.5 L.) size.

Edited by Craig Camp (log)

I just purchased a Magnum and a 750 ml of Fonterutoli CC 1999 so I guess I'll have a chance first hand to see what the difference is in bottle aging.

Any recs as far as when would be the best time to open them?

Could they stand another year or two?

slowfood/slowwine

I just purchased a Magnum  and a 750 ml of Fonterutoli CC 1999 so I guess I'll have a chance first hand to see what the difference is in bottle aging.

Probably 3 at least.

beachfan

I just purchased a Magnum  and a 750 ml of Fonterutoli CC 1999 so I guess I'll have a chance first hand to see what the difference is in bottle aging.

Probably 3 at least.

At least three. If you like the Fonterutoli style, that 99 is a winner and should develop well. It depends on the way you like your wines - if you like a lot of fruit and intensity in the wine drink it younger. This wine is a tre bicchieri (three glasses - top award) winner in the 2003 Gambero Rosso Guide so you know it is big, ripe and more than a little oaky. There is more than a little controversy on how long these new style wines should age. I have not tasted it yet but will have it next month at Vinitaly and will send you my notes.

I would say 3 to 5 years for the 750 and 5 or more for the magnum would be no problem depending on storage conditions. With good storage they both could go much longer.

I had the distinct pleasure of enjoing an Italian red from either a Jeroboam or an Imperial this last summer at a friend's wedding. Another friend had brought it back from Italy for their wedding. Talk about a carry-on item. It was a great wine, unfortunately I drank too much to remember what it was, but I can't say whether the bottle size contributed to its flavor.

hal

WARNING: While the Champagne houses do produce many full bottles of these giants - the wines go flat very soon - after a couple of years or less. Avoid buying oversized bottles that have been lying around for a long time.

Pol Roger's balthazars of White Foil, are made up from decanted bottles and are about 1 year old at most because of the problems.

With the empties they are quite expensive. I seem to remember that an jeroboam costs about $25.