• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convection Ovens

memesuze

now, 3 years into my Cadco life, I realize that I never reported back - I found the smaller Cadco on sale at my local restaurant supply, bought three quarter-sheet pans and have been blissfully roasting and baking with little muss or fuss. The only wish I have is for a turn-off-the-convection button, for more delicate items. But, it has performed to expectations and has accomplished my goals - 7 minutes to preheat, quick to cool down, efficient in its use of electricity, and not a lot of noise or smells [other than the good ones!]

It will have a place of honor in any new kitchen I create.

I love my Cadco. I use it when I don't want to fire up my big oven (Blodgett) and the half-size sheet pan is certainly large enough for most things I cook. Cornbread:gallery_17399_60_121561.jpg

It will even accept the giant Staub oval pot, though a snug fit:gallery_17399_60_125160.jpg

If you get one of these folding splatter guards Norpro splatter guard

You can cut it down by about 4 inches so it wil fit in the oven and set it up behind the pan in which you have a custard or cheesecake to keep the fan from blowing ripples in the filling. I use one all the time in the big oven because the fan in it is huge and really moves a lot of air.

although it says it is not currently available at Amazon, you can find it at other vendors. I just saw it in one of the kitchen catalogs I get every months.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Has anyone used the Waring Pro countertop convection oven? It is all stainless, with a good oven door, and 1700 watts power. It is $300. in my area. I haven't found the Cuisinart yet.

The Waring has a rotisserie motor and assembly, and this would be useful for chicken, and possibly slow roasted duck. Any suggestions?

Has anyone used the Waring Pro countertop convection oven?  It is all stainless, with a good oven door, and 1700 watts power.  It is $300. in my area.  I haven't found the Cuisinart yet. 

The Waring has a rotisserie motor and assembly, and this would be useful for chicken, and possibly slow roasted duck. Any suggestions?

Where is this gem hiding out?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Has anyone used the Waring Pro countertop convection oven?  It is all stainless, with a good oven door, and 1700 watts power.

I haven't had any first hand experience with that model, or any other countertop convection oven for that matter.

But, I did do extensive research on all the home/prosumer/commercial models (in my typical AR manner), and the Cadco/Broilking (both of which are manufactured by Unox of Italy) is the only brand that received UNIVERSAL praise. Nary a bad word!

(FYI, all those little ovens you see at the warehouse clubs, e.g. Costco, turning out those free hot samples at the end of the aisles -- guess what? Cadco! How many hours a day do you think those ovens are running?)

OTOH, I saw enough bad reviews on the Waring, Haier, Cuisinart (the best of the smaller models), DeLonghi, Farberware, etc., that they didn't get any further consideration. I knew I wanted something with serious capacity, something that could actually approach "second oven status." This bad boy does.

Anyway, be sure to do your research (check Amazon, Epinions, Usenet, etc.) and I'm sure you'll make the right choice :biggrin:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Has anyone used the Waring Pro countertop convection oven?  It is all stainless, with a good oven door, and 1700 watts power.  It is $300. in my area.  I haven't found the Cuisinart yet. 

Where is this gem hiding out?

It is at Home Outfitters (Hudson's Bay).

I'm going to look at some buyer reports before I get one. The Cadco models seem to have a bigger fan, but I'm leaning toward the Waring, for all I have to do.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in the DeLonghi with rotissiere, Overstock.com just listed them at $149.00

DeLonghi 1.1 cubic foot capacity

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If anyone is interested in the DeLonghi with rotissiere, Overstock.com just listed them at $149.00

If anyone is interested in ordering this, I'd suggest examining the same or similar model in a store, if possible.

The one I saw at Sam's Club the other day redefined the word 'rinky-dink' -- I'm not sure how long it had been there, or what kind of abuse it suffered, but the door was falling of its little, tiny, weak hinges...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I had this Delonghi

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=184624

but I bought it at Costco for $300, maybe 3 years ago, I checked, they don't sell the same model anymore, they carry this one

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...av=&browse=&s=1

the only difference with the digital delonghi is that doesn't have the pizza function (which I didn't use much).

I really had a good experience with it. You can choose normal baking and convection, keep warm, defrost (only for thin food).

Cons: you cannot adjust the temperature for you rotisserie function and I thought that the broiler is not very powerful.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would open my situation up to the board for suggestions.

My 16 year old Jenn-Air single wall oven (model W188) has fried its main controller board. I can pay $425 or so to have a new board installed. Or I can probably scrounge around the web for the part and install it myself for somewhat less.

OR --

I can take the opportunity to buy a new oven. (Any ideas which way I am leaning?) So, give me your suggestions. The requirements are:

fit existing 27 inch opening

electric

convection

no water or drain line on that wall (which rules out what I really want, a Gaggenau Combi Steam/Convection oven)

I haven't been in the market for 16 years, so I have little idea what's out there.

can you lenghthen the opening for a double oven? I mean, you're already kinda not wide..I know, I am there with one up and down. Upper convection, lower reg. it's easier to lenghten, than it is to widen.

Kitchenaid makes a really good convection wall oven in 27 inches. Dacor does as well, but Dacor tends to the expensive side. I had a 27 in KA wall oven in my old house and I really liked it.

Marlene

Whatever you do DON'T buy DACOR!

I bought a Dacor top-of-the-line Dacor wall oven, and it nearly electrocuted me.

Here's a list of the problems:

1. Bad Design: I paid through the nose for a removable heating element (plug-in) to make cleaning the bottom of the oven easier. It didn't work right. Meatloaf came out like Vets Dog Food. Dacor didn't admit to the problem until one week after my warranty ran out, and THEN they tell me there is a "field fix" for the problem at my expense. I had it installed at ~$250, and all they did was hard-wire in a new element that was unremovable. Yet the cost of the oven was enormous because of the removable element feature.

2. The hard-wire field fix was bogus. They had to stretch the wires to reach the wires of the new element, and over a very short time, something called "plastic cold flow" occurred and the wires shorted to the oven frame. Sparks shot out of the oven nearly 6 feet knocking me on the floor.

3. The repair company came out to address the problem and told me they "temporarily" fixed the problem until a new part could be ordered. I was assured that I could use the oven except for the "conventional oven" setting. Trouble was, I had to spin the dial past the "conventional oven" setting, and once again, sparks shot out nearly 6 feet.

4. Dacor absolutely refused to address a replacement.

5. The conventional element has burned out its connectors twice since then, and I've had to pay through the nose to have it repaired again and again.

6. The dials, and knobs, to a one, have cracked and partially disintegrated.

7. To turn the temperature knob, which isn't there anymore, I have to stick a flat head screwdriver into the hole to try to twist what's left of the metal shaft that once extended out of the console to which was attached the knob that disintegrated off.

8. The oven temperature was never right from day one. Dacor had a software fix for that. Trouble was to find someone that knew how to push buttons in the right order to activate it. Finally achieved the goal of raising the temperature margin by its maximum of 30 F, and it still never solved the problem due to a very non-linear temperature profile.

9. I use the oven solely at 550 now to bake pizza, sourdough bread, and rolls. Its useless for anything else, and I figure I'll use it at that extreme temperature until it finally dies the death it so richly deserves.

Conclusion: It is my "life's duty" to inform all of Dacor's crummy oven and their even crummier customer service.

10. I forgot to tell you that the bottom of the oven started to wear through. The nasty mouthed customer service person demanded to know "how are you cleaning the oven????" I informed her "exactly like the owner's manual says"....she offered no replacement, even though the oven was still under warranty.

11. Also forgot to tell you that the self-cleaning feature will also "kill" the oven!

Anything you buy will be better than Dacor!!!!

doc

Interesting. I have a Dacor range, and I had a small problem in the beginning with one of the burners not igniting and Dacor's service people couldn't have been more helpful. that said, I'll probably go with a KA or Miele wall oven when I renovate. I know and trust the KA and I don't really need a Dacor wall oven.

Marlene

can you lenghthen the opening for a double oven? I mean, you're already kinda not wide..I know, I am there with one up and down. Upper convection, lower reg. it's easier to lenghten, than it is to widen.

HC,

I do not need a double oven there. There are a few threads around with descriptions of my kitchen (and even a thread where I promised pics but never have gotten around to it). The electric wall oven is in the "pastry area" of the kitchen. I already have two full sized gas ovens under the 60" range on the hot side of the kitchen.

That said, there is a microwave oven that is little used above the oven. I have some thoughts that I will share below.

Edited by MichaelB (log)

My electric oven/microwave combo recently quit working properly. It was 20 years old and needed updating anyway! I replaced it with a Jenn-air double oven like this one: http://www.us-appliance.com/jjw9627a27je.html

We had to have the opening increased a bit but other than that it fit fine in the existing space. The upper oven is convection capable. It is 27" but it seems much bigger! The hidden heating element in the bottom and the recessed convection fan make more space available inside. Also the unique oven racks give you several positions for various baking dishes. The touch controls work great and give options for preprogramming and other uses like proofing and drying. The touchcontrols are also behind a glass front and not a plastic film. Temperature is pretty true right out of the box. Gets up to 550F. The convection oven has the auto conversion function which automatically converts standard temps. to convection temps, but that can be bypassed if desired.

I like mine! In fact, we are going to get the French door refrigerator that matches!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I visited a few places today and saw a few ovens. Of course, no showroom in this town shows 27" ovens on the floor; so I have no idea how the cavity capacities compare to my existing oven.

I am smitten right now with the idea of a Miele oven and replacing the existing microwave with a Miele Steam Oven. I would add a counter top microwave hidden away somewhere.

Link for the Miele Steamer: http://www.miele.com/usa/cooking/steam-ove...subcat=19&cat=3

I know I should just replace the oven with current model Jenn-Air. It would be a slide-in swap. The Miele might be a tad too wide for the space (70cm is just over 27") and it is much shorter than the Jenn-Air. I would need to build up the bottom of the cabinet by 6 inches and put a stainless cover over the built up area.

But, I would have a STEAMER in my kitchen!

Please help save me from myself. Note, that my wife may also help save me too.

I have a Miele wall oven right now, and although it cooks nicely, I hate it. The thing rattles incessently when it's on. I can't turn it up by 5 degrees, only 10. So 375? forget. I get 370 or 380. The racks have these stupid lips on them which makes it damn near impossible to grasp any pan easily. Of course, it's 7 years old. Maybe they've improved the design.

Marlene

Well, I did it. Last night I placed an order for a pair of Miele ovens for that wall.

On the bottom, a H4780BP convection oven. Marlene, the current models do not have the "lip" feature on the racks. I did see references to that feature on the line that is being phased out. It also accpets 5 degree temperature increments -- I made sure to check that on a working model.

On the top, a DG4080 steam oven -- also known as a steamer (not sure why they use oven as part of the title.

Product reviews to follow soon.

I think you'll like them. We have a MasterChef double convection that's a couple of years old. They've been working great*. Best part is the temperature stability throughout the entire oven. From the website, it looks like we have a H398BP2.

* we did find one software bug. On our model, if you have the clock display turned off, it'll shut down the computer as you turn off the oven. Normally it wants to run the fan for 20 minutes or so to keep the computer cooled. We now leave the clock display on.

Edited by daves (log)

Interesting.  I have a Dacor range, and I had a small problem in the beginning with one of the burners not igniting and Dacor's service people couldn't have been more helpful.  that said, I'll probably go with a KA or Miele wall oven when I renovate.  I know and trust the KA and I don't really need a Dacor wall oven.

I have had a Dacor double wall oven for six years now and I love it. I bake with it everyday . The only repair I had to have was the spring on the door hinge went. I found customer service and the repair people to be very nice. I guess I have been lucky....knock wood!!!!!

I haven't bought the Waring Pro (w/rotisserie) yet, but am leaning toward it. The full fledged oven door is the clincher.

Did you buy this yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Marlene