• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convection Ovens

memesuze

Our GE wall oven has died, something that I'm not overly upset about.  We want to replace it with a Convection wall oven.  The one problem we have is that it's 27" wide and without major remodeling a new one will have to be the same.  We are not looking for an extremely high end oven but want one that's reasonably priced but performs well.  So far we've looked at GE, Whirlpool, Jenn Air, Maytag, KitchenAid, etc.  My wife really likes the KitchenAid, the shelves themselves are heavier duty, it has a roller mounted full extension rack, automatic conversion of recipes to convection from conventional and several other features.

What's anybody else's experience  with ovens of this type?   The one she likes retails for about $2200  by the local dealer we are working with sells it for about $1900.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though this thread didn't get a lot of action when I 1st posted it I thought I would follow up on it anyway.  We ended up buying the KitchenAid convection oven and had it installed last week.  So far we really like it.  It heats up in less than half the time that our last oven did, 350° in less than 10 minutes.  So far the temperatures seem very even and seemed to be quite accurate.  Having a smooth bottom in the oven with the elements hidden is certainly going to make cleaning it much easier and the 8 passes for the broiler element makes broiling much more even also.  We haven't tried the temperature probe for anything, wouldn't have bought it if it cost more but will probably end up trying it anyway.  Also, unlike many ovens, the inside is very bright and the lights are on so you can see what's going on.  It has 2 halogen lights inside plus a very large front window in the inside is blue porcelain so it's extremely easy to see everything.  The racks (3) are extremely heavy duty and one of them is on full extension rollers.  Just thought anybody who's looking for a new oven may be interested.

Next up,  a new cook once we figure out how to  modify the countertops!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.