• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Shoulder

snowangel

Coat with dry rub. Barbeque with indirect heat at 200-215 degrees for 8 hours or more as needed. Lots of hard wood chips for smoke.

When finished, allow to rest, then "pull" into large shreds and chunks, removing any bone or gristle. Serve with vinegar cole slaw, whitebread buns, beans, and cold beer. Sauce is optional.

Proper sandwich has 'cue and cole slaw on it.

If you don't have the 8 hours to smoke your shoulder, cut it up into 1" strips, marinate and smoke for only 4 hours. You'll end up with a smokier result. I currently have 4 shoulders in my freezer at the moment. :cool:

braise it in milk.....

Rub with olive oil

crush 2-3 garlic cloves, bruise stem of rosemary (leave intact) and mix with 2-3 T coarse salt...let sit for a bit

Rub the pork with the seasoned salt pull out the rosemary) and a tiny pinch of cinnamon and clove

Let the pork sit for a few hours

Sear well in heavy braising pot

Add milk to come halfway up pork

Braise on stovetop at very low heat about 2.5 hours

Remove pork and rest

If you want a thicker sauce, reduce the braising liquid (I never do this...)

Serve sliced pork with braising liquid, including chunky milk solids

This is much better if the pork is chilled overnight, then sliced and reheated in some of the sauce.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

We had pork shoulder last night: In a pressure cooker with black beans, onion, garlic, cooked until tender. Toss bone to dog, add epazote, salt and pepper, top with hot salsa.

Wont you end up with different texture for the pork below the milk-line? 

You're actually supposed to turn it over a few times during cooking, but I've forgotten to do it more than once and haven't noticed any difference.

I do like the concept of 'milk-line' though.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Thanks, you may use it.

I've made brisket a number of times without completely covering the meat in liquid and without turning it. I actually like the "dry" top, which is just as tender, but a little crisp. Usually after cutting the brisket and storing it in the gravy, I will separate the two for reheating. This also gives some crispness to the meat, which is added back to the gravy to moisten for serving.

braise it in milk.....

Rub with olive oil

crush 2-3 garlic cloves, bruise stem of rosemary (leave intact) and mix with 2-3 T coarse salt...let sit for a bit

Rub the pork with the seasoned salt pull out the rosemary) and a tiny pinch of cinnamon and clove

Let the pork sit for a few hours

Sear well in heavy braising pot

Add milk to come halfway up pork

Braise on stovetop at very low heat about 2.5 hours

Remove pork and rest

If you want a thicker sauce, reduce the braising liquid (I never do this...)

Serve sliced pork with braising liquid, including chunky milk solids

This is much better if the pork is chilled overnight, then sliced and reheated in some of the sauce.

Jim

There is a recipe which I love in Batali's first cook book for "Pork loin with Onions in milk". Which is basically searing the loin, then baking it on top of thick cut onion rounds in milk. The milk will curdle and I usually blitz it in the blender to get a smoother texture (the sauce with onions only not the Pork!!!) once it is cooked then top the pork slices with it. I also love it cold the next day sliced thin in a crusty bread sandwich. I would imagine the pork shoulder would be delicious cooked like that as well.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...
Marinate in home-made sazon prepared by your Dominican friends, simmer in seasoned water for about half an hour, then bake in a slow oven.

Wilfrid -- how close is that to pernil? Wondering because you didn't mention garlic.

• 6 months later...

It's cheap again, as are those country-style ribs which aren't ribs.

Made the Mock Porchetta from the Zuni Cafe cookbook. Wonderful. The leftovers made great sandwiches and an outstanding hash. Yum.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Ah, country-style ribs!  Great for making pozole.

On the menu for Monday night. I've never made it before, got any good suggestions?

Cut the pork into 1-inch pieces, brown on all sides and set aside while you do the onion and garlic, then add it back in. I use dried posole that I stock up on whenever I’m in New Mexico so I have to soak it first. If you use canned hominy you only have to add it at the end to heat it up. I like the dried better because of the flavor. I also use chicken broth for the liquid component. I use “pure” (unadulterated) chili powder, again from New Mexico. There’s not much more to add…oregano and salt. Not counting the posole soaking time, it takes about an hour and a half or two over low heat to finish it off. You can serve it with thinly sliced radishes, shredded iceberg lettuce, chopped onion, cilantro, lime wedges and hot tortillas. I normally use only onion, cilantro and sometimes lime. (I LOVE cilantro, but you may be one of those who thinks it tastes like soap.)

The strange thing about this stew is that it seems to "grow" over time. I'll made a big pot of it at the cabin in the mountains of northern NM and I can eat on it for a week and the level never seems to drop! Perpetual food machine? Now that cooler weather is coming I'm going to drag out the stew pot and make a batch. Comfort food at its finest.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Ah, country-style ribs!  Great for making pozole.

On the menu for Monday night. I've never made it before, got any good suggestions?

What Huevos del Toro said. :biggrin: (Although I don't cut up the pork; I just let it cook until it falls off the bones in chunks.

It should be really soupy; one of the joys is slurping up the broth, apart from eating the solid stuff. And of course you can also have some shredded queso blanco, and salsa verde, and salsa rojo on the side, too. Part of the fun in making each mouthful a little different from the one before.