• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gales HSB

mogsob

I discovered Gales HSB this weekend on a trip to Hampshire. I know Gales' is pretty much a regional company and does not own any pubs in London, but I was wondering if any London eGulleters have encountered HSB as a guest anywhere?

For my 2 quid it was vastly superior to most of the more common bitters served in London.

Glad to hear the Gales HSB is still as good as I remember it was from back when I was living in Winchester... Sad to say I can't be of any help to you in your hunt in London. Do remember that Winchester is only an hour's train ride away from London, though, and you can definitely get it there. Maybe even closer, but I'm without the specific knowledge to say so.

Edit: grammar clarification

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Do remember that Winchester is only an hour's train ride away from London, though, and you can definitely get it there.

Indeed. I had the HSB at the Wyckham Arms in Winchester. But an hour is a long way to go for a beer.

I haven't seen HSB much in the free trade - don't know why - but there is quite a bit of it in Sussex if you ever find yourself down that way (I have family in the Brighton area). Personally, I find it a bit sweet and fruity for my taste - I like hoppier, sharper beers. But it is a fine pint.

A quick Google reveals the Gale's website. The guide facility sadly doesn't list free trade outlets, but does show they have four pubs in Berkshire, in places like Windsor and Sonning, and eleven in Surrey.

Mogsob, you're in Chelsea, aren't you? I'd try the White Horse on Parson's Green - even if they don't have it as a regular, they might be persuaded to get it as a guest. I had a look at their site (White Horse), and they have Gale's Prize Old Ale in bottle-conditioned form, which is worth a try (but it's about nine per cent abv, so tread carefully :smile: ). I also noticed they sell Rooster's Yankee as a regular. Very different beer from anything Gale's brews - much more to my taste, a powerful, hoppy Yorkshire brew - but wonderful stuff, up there with Taylor's Landlord in my estimation.

cheers

Adam

If memory serves me right, The Market Porter in Borough Market has HSB fairly regularly, and if they don't they will have something a bit different.

You should also find it at the London Drinker Beer Festival which is being held this week, it is usually at Camden Town Hall, and again if it isn't there there will be alternatives.

Cheers.

Phil