• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50 States

I recently read that all 50 states now have wineries as define by state regulations with the ability to sell their wine. California, Washington, Oregon and New York jump to mind as the top states producing quality wine. Here in Texas there is a sizable and growing wine region, but the wines themselves are rarely ever better than just drinkable.

Do you see any other states with potential to produce very good, maybe even great wine? Are then some hidden gems out there from obscure states?

I think there is potential for great wine (already realized) from New York. I also have tasted some great stuff from Arizona and Colorado, and I've tried the Texas wines. There are also a couple of good things from Virginia.

The limitation in most states is one people rarely think about - water rights. All the places with dry conditions, sun, poor soil, etc. for vines, can't get water rights. They are too late following the cities and developers. But it's fun to keep looking and tasting!