• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoarding for War, Shopping for the Apocalypse

Elissa

Salt

Sugar

Axe

Matches

Copy of "Wild Seasons: Gathering and Cooking Wild Plants of the Great Plains"

Two pots

Water still

Clean barrel

and coffee... lots of coffee.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My family has a farm in southern ARK/ northern LA, basically in the middle of nowhere. I will go there in the event of a catastrophe. Tons of food there, and roaming the woods and in the ponds. Also there is an natural spring on the property that will supply the mixer for the tubs of scotch we have there, in addition to the stocked beer and wine. This will be the place to be....

On a bit of a lighter note.... I grew up in So Cal, and my mother (a native of the midwest) was terrified by earthquakes.... with good reason, we lived through a couple of doozies. She quickly organized earthquake suitcases in several closets throughout the house. Among the "normal" items, each had a pack of cards (to have something to do while waiting for rescue) and a bottle of gin (presumably for the same reason).

What she didn't know was that my brother and I used those bottles of gin for immediate pleasure, always carefully refilling each bottle with water... heck, we figured that in the event of a catastrophe, there would be more to worry about than our theft!

We confessed after we reached adulthood and replenished their supply!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I keep a few extra gallons of water in the basement along with my camping gear.

I don't so much have a 'disaster kit' as much as a mental list of supplies that I keep around in more quantity than I really need for day-to-day usage, and tools that would be first to go into the truck if I needed to bug out.

books on hunting, butchering, and preserving meat

lots of salt

vitamins, asprin, tylenol

vodka

canned goods like tomatoes and tuna, but I rotate that through my pantry to keep it fresh

dried beans and rice, ditto

whole peppercorns and spices, ditto

pistol, rifles, plenty of ammunition

the usual radio, flashlights, batteries, etc

chainsaw, axe, maul, extra gasoline and oil

trenching tool

we have a cabin in the mountains that we would retreat to. Having lived in the DC area for most of my life I would not count on the kindness of others.

I keep a few extra gallons of water in the basement along with my camping gear. 

I don't so much have a 'disaster kit' as much as a mental list of supplies that I keep around in more quantity than I really need for day-to-day usage, and tools that would be first to go into the truck if I needed to bug out.

books on hunting, butchering, and preserving meat

lots of salt

vitamins, asprin, tylenol

vodka

canned goods like tomatoes and tuna, but I rotate that through my pantry to keep it fresh

dried beans and rice, ditto

whole peppercorns and spices, ditto

pistol, rifles, plenty of ammunition

the usual radio, flashlights, batteries, etc

chainsaw, axe, maul, extra gasoline and oil

trenching tool

Substitute Aleve for the tylenol, add dirt bikes and sidecar bikes (the latter have a mount for the AK-47), throw in a few seed packets, and replace books on hunting with books on foraging, and you have my list. :raz:

we have a cabin in the mountains that we would retreat to.  Having lived in the DC area for most of my life I would not count on the kindness of others.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously though, I think canned tomatoes and tomato products are indispensable pantry items. I also keep lots of dried pasta, canned and powdered milk, a variety of whole grains and beans, and a few dozen snack pack chocolate puddings. Of course I have to rotate those to keep them fresh :wink: Don't forget the chocolate!