• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morristown NJ Restaurants

Norm Ross

depends on what you like, and how much you'd like to spend. Here are a few starters.

Settebello on Speedwell. Upscale Italian, nice atmosphere, figure $50-70 a head with wine. Haven't been there in 18 months, but I've heard good things. Pazzo Pazzo is a moderately upscale gourmet pizza and dinner house on the next block of Speedwell. Good food, figure $35-50

Pierre's, about 10 minutes south on 202. Several favorable posts. Figure 50+

Nagano on Washington Street. Japanese, sushi is usually very good. Note, this place is up a steep staircase and may not be accessible to persons with difficulties. Another nearby sushi place is Kyoto in Florham Park. I like it, and it's been discussed here on this board. Pamir, the Afghan restaurant, is another two blocks west of Nagano. Nice place, very different. $30 top for each

Sebastian's, a good steakhouse on Morris Street, opposite the train station.

Valentino's and Capagna are walkable to the Community theater, but are likely booked already. Sirin (Thai) and South Street trattoria are adjacent to the theater, and the Dublin Pub is across the side street. I've been pleased with each.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Tim Schafer's Cuisine 82 Speedwell Avenue Morristown  BYO 973-538-3330

I second Tim Schaefer's. If you can't find street parking, there's a garage that's not too expensive to park in under Headquarter's Plaza (right across the street). (Same goes if you prefer Pazzo Pazzo, which is just a few doors down.)

Settebello on Speedwell. Upscale Italian, nice atmosphere, figure $50-70 a head with wine. Haven't been there in 18 months, but I've heard good things.

We have friends that rave about this place...but in my experience, they are not as discriminating as I might be. Has anyone visited recently? Paul, based on your visit a year and a half ago, would you suggest its worth a 45 min drive? Good wine list?

Friends went there two weeks ago and were delighted. I may try to get there Thursday.

It's a very nice place on the corner of Cattano and Speedwell, one block north of the Green.

KimWB - re-reading my post, it's a BYO, I'm not sure where I got the wine reference. Perhaps from Pazzo, which does have a license.

Schafer's place is also BYO, as I recall.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...
Norm--Welcome to eGullet. Be sure to give us a report.

:smile: Six of us enjoyed dinner at Tim Schafer's Cuisine very much. I had the Cowboy Steak which was very good quality and cooked perfectly but it had a butter sauce that was too much in quantity and a bit overwhelming. The duck was reported as excellent. My wife ordered the fried calamari as an appetizer and we found the consistency too mushy; but the taste was very good. The lady to my right asked for the sauce used on the duck special to be placed upon chicken for her which was done and delicious. The mashed potatoes for the night were made with goat cheese and she asked if the chef could maked them with basil and sun dried tomatoes instead. It was done and very good. We were placed at very nice table at the front window and enjoyed the entire experience. The waiter was very young and spoke quickly/fast and was difficult to understand. We needed to have him repeat many items even though I told him I was only able to listen as fast as I could talk. I would recommend this restaurant and the BYOB policy makes it even more attractive.