• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tipping in Restaurants?

I have not lived there for 37 years. Back then tipping was zero. Today its advanced to 10% but they don't have their hand out and an attitude if there is no tip. Very carefree people. "it'll be ok mate". You don't tip a taxi unless you ride in it. Ha! I think Aussis kind have got used to Americans tipping.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Tipping in New Zealand is not 'expected' in the vast majority of restaurants but it would certainly be 'appreciated' as recognition of good service.

Part of me though says "Please Please don't do it ....... cos then they'll expect us natives to start" :biggrin:

Bartenders don't generally get tipped; unless of course they have done you a service not normally expected of them. Taxi drivers get small change; usually rounding up to the nearest dollar fo fares under $10 and the tip never exceeds $3 no matter what the fare.

In most restaurants, if we are happy with the service we generally tip about 5-10%. Bad service does not get tipped. Like in NZ, tipping is not necessary anywhere. Exception service may get tipped up to 15%, but rarely.

Edited by Niall (log)

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Niall

That's about right. We generally tip betwen 10% to 15% for a reasonable meal.

In Australia we don't have the problem where waiters actually lose money if they don't get a tip. Ronald Reagan has a lot to answer for!!!

When I am in the US I tip 20% (because I feel sorry for the staff) unless I don't get good service (eg Nobu) and then I cut it to 10%.

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com