• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wagyu Beef

Chef/Writer Spencer

I just mentioned in an earlier thread about my love of Wagyu short ribs. You can sear em and eat em md. rare. They taste like the juiciest beef flavored butter you can imagine. I tried the oxtails though and got very little meat to fat ratio--rendering the things worthless. And especially after you braise em you can't tell the difference...Can anyone suggest any other cuts that might pack a bang for the buck..

Are the short ribs tender enough to eat with that little cooking?  if so, cool.

Oh yeah daddy. I was skeptical too. They've got the chew of an onglet (hangersteak) but man, that marbling really gives those babies some flavor. I'm thinking--perhaps misguidely--that most of the Kobe cuts are like that. All I did was sear them, pop em in the oven for two minutes and boom. The cut I used was boneless. Amazing stuff....

I had great success with grilling a Wagyu flank steak that I got at Uwajimaya here in Seattle. Marinated it in soy, vermouth, garlic and sesame oil, grilled it briefly and sliced it very thin. If I say so myself, it was tremendous. The good thing about the flank steak is that its WAY cheaper than most of the other cuts.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I had great success with grilling a Wagyu flank steak that I got at Uwajimaya here in Seattle.  Marinated it in soy, vermouth, garlic and sesame oil, grilled it briefly and sliced it very thin.  If I say so myself, it was tremendous.  The good thing about the flank steak is that its WAY cheaper than most of the other cuts.

Sounds good. What about the texture. Did you have to cut it against the grain? I bet it'd be just lovely anyway you ate it.

I had great success with grilling a Wagyu flank steak that I got at Uwajimaya here in Seattle.  Marinated it in soy, vermouth, garlic and sesame oil, grilled it briefly and sliced it very thin.  If I say so myself, it was tremendous.  The good thing about the flank steak is that its WAY cheaper than most of the other cuts.

Sounds good. What about the texture. Did you have to cut it against the grain? I bet it'd be just lovely anyway you ate it.

Yes, I sliced it across the grain, as I usually do with flank steak. I went for very thin slices, but it was tender enough that thicker slices would have been OK too. What I had read about cooking Wagyu is that the fat structure is very delicate and if you cook it much past rare, it breaks down and the meat gets very tough, so I definately tried to err on the rare side of things.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

What about onglet Wagyu......

All these different Wagyu beef cuts discussed in this thread, are available at Lobel's butcher shop in NYC. They're the only ones in America, carrying the Australian Kobe beef. I would be interested in feedback, from anyone sampling any of the Australian Kobe beef from Lobel's.

----------------

Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Just out of interest does anyone know which cuts Homestead uses for its Kobe burger?

When the story came out about the $40 burger I remember thinking if thats a pound of Kobe beef like you get in Jap restaurants (ie tenderloin or whatever) that's WAY too cheap... I presume they'd have to use other cuts of Wagyu if they were doing it that price (or is american wagyu a lot cheaper than Jap?)

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!