• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Steak in Manhattan

rich

So, to recap, people interested in eating great dry-aged prime steak should disregard Minetta, even though it has the second- or third-best steak in the City, because:

1. The decor is interesting.

2. Service is friendly and attentive; and

3. If your dining companions don't want steak, they have interesting choices and aren't stuck with second-rate salmon.

Makes sense to me.

Went to Luger last night for the first time since they opened the new dining room (yes, it's been a couple of years since my last trip).

Shrimp cocktail, sliced tomato and onion with blue cheese dressing, steak for 4 medium rare, hash browns and cream spinach. Followed by a chocolate sundae and of course the gold-foil chocolate coins. Wines were a 2007 Groth and a Mondavi Cab. Started with Beefeater martinis.

The steak was very good. The best I've had at Luger? No, but not the worst either. The filets in particular were particularly seared and crunchy, and that's not my favorite part of a porterhouse - but they really stood out this time. The strip was excellent, musty & rich throughout most of the loin on both porterhouses.

Not the out-of-body experience I've had there on occasion, but still joyous & heartwarming. I plan to return again soon.

So, to recap, people interested in eating great dry-aged prime steak should disregard Minetta, even though it has the second- or third-best steak in the City, because:

1. The decor is interesting.

2. Service is friendly and attentive; and

3. If your dining companions don't want steak, they have interesting choices and aren't stuck with second-rate salmon.

Makes sense to me.

NYC steakhouses fall into two categories: the classics (steaks, along with predictable appetizers and sides) and modern (where the steaks can be great, but the rest of the menu doesn't follow a forumula). He's reviewing the first kind.

Minetta may very well be the best of the second group, and maybe the best overall (if you believe Bruni), but to be fair you would also need to include Strip House, Porter House, Quality Meats, BLT Steak, and BLT Prime among that clan.

And what's interesting about each of those places is that Minetta is an order of magnitude better than any and all of them.

(I can't think of a time when the second or third-best steak in New York WASN'T at a steakhouse. This is a significant and interesting new development.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

completely agree with sneakeater. while minetta isn't a classic steakhouse, its côte de boeuf is hands down the best steak in the city. we should be comparing cut to cut; not by narrowly defining what a steakhouse is. minetta also serves one of the best burgers in town even though it's not a classic burger joint.

completely agree with sneakeater. while minetta isn't a classic steakhouse, its côte de boeuf is hands down the best steak in the city. we should be comparing cut to cut; not by narrowly defining what a steakhouse is. minetta also serves one of the best burgers in town even though it's not a classic burger joint.

one of the best burgers? :smile: