• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Beard Award Nominations 2003

Jinmyo

"Truffle scented popcorn."

:rolleyes:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It was actually pretty good. I ate about five little paper cones full of it with an equal number of glasses of Argyle bubbly (plus a glass of Rogue "Dead Guy Ale") at the reception before the dinner. I'm guessing they just tossed the popcorn with Urbani's truffle-infused butter.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"High Ball Sandwich of Herbed Shrimp"

Somehow, and this is only with shrimp, "Herbed" sounds to me like a caveat because some guy named Herb got into them.

What's a high ball sandwich?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

For that matter, what is a "Genuine Tartar Sauce"? Does this mean the tartar sauce is sincere, as opposed to being disingenuous?

On the other hand, "Honey Lavender-Spiced Baby Lamb Chops" sounds delicious. (When we get moved, there's going to be a serious herb garden growing.)

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

"Genuine Tartar Sauce"? Says so right here on the label, I'll have you know.

Geuine green relish mixed with genuine Hellman's.

The lamb chops were the single best item served all night, but they weren't user-friendly. People dressed in business attire don't typically like to barehand their lamb chops while wandering around. There was no good way to get your fingers clean and no obvious place to dispose of the bones. But they were tasty.

The shrimp-on-toast appetizer was pretty lame. I'm not sure what the point was.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What else did you... sample, Steve?

All of it. The cucumber with walnuts and blue cheese was also difficult to manage, but it didn't have rewards equal to the lamb chops. The duck and mango on sweet potato roll was, predictably, cloying. The crabcakes were good. Oh, it looks actually like I missed the "North Cove Clam Fritters with Genuine Tartar Sauce." They must not have made it to the corner where I was hiding.

As far as the dinner was concerned the salmon tartare was good enough but not particularly flavorful. The best dish of the evening was the Caprial Pence asmaragus, roasted and served with fromage blanc. The "Snake River Farms American Kobe Beef Tenderloin" was nice and tender but had little flavor other than what came from the sauce. But the accompanying cabbage thing stuffed with short rib meat and foie gras was terrific. The desserts were interesting to look at (particularly the gigantic chocolate statues of a hand holding a book, which looked a bit Night of the Living Dead) but not delicious, although the Ransom Pinot Noir Aquavitae Grappa was a nice discovery.

The lamb chops were the single best item served all night, but they weren't user-friendly. People dressed in business attire don't typically like to barehand their lamb chops while wandering around. There was no good way to get your fingers clean and no obvious place to dispose of the bones. But they were tasty.

Which is why one should always take a ladyfriend to these events...those purses come in handy!

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

"Snake River Farms American Kobe Beef Tenderloin" was nice and tender but had little flavor other than what came from the sauce. But the accompanying cabbage thing stuffed with short rib meat and foie gras was terrific.

Tenderloin.

Feh.

Never has any flavour without a sauce. Sauces should heighten by augmenting or contrasting. But something that needs a sauce to have flavour is like something that needs mouth-to-mouth to live but has no mouth.

Short ribs and cabbage. :smile:

Roasted asparagus. The fromage blanc was like queso blanco? Fresh, mild, hard (before melting)?

First..... You find a really tall ram.....

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

First..... You find a really tall ram.....

Welcome.

Sauces should heighten by augmenting or contrasting. But something that needs a sauce to have flavour is like something that needs mouth-to-mouth to live but has no mouth.

I take it you dislike squid, then? (For the record, I like it.)

Michael aka "Pan"

The fromage blanc was like queso blanco? Fresh, mild, hard (before melting)?

No, more in the sour cream family.

Jin,

The fromage blanc comes from this Oregon cheesemaker:

http://www.oregongourmetcheeses.com/

I picked up some of their raw-milk camembert at the Farmers Market Saturday, but haven't cut into it yet. I've heard from a few people, including a transplanted French chef, that the fromage blanc is really, really good.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Jim, thanks for the link. That looks very interesting.

Very timely of you Suzanne--I just heard Takashi Yagihashi of Tribute won Best Chef-Midwest, my friend Jose Andres of Jaleo/Cafe Atlantico & Zaytinya won Best Chef-Mid-Atlantic and Grant Achatz of Trio won Rising Star Chef. I'm impressed someone is updating the site so quickly!

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

The desserts were interesting to look at (particularly the gigantic chocolate statues of a hand holding a book, which looked a bit Night of the Living Dead)

I think a special award should have been given to the table where Dara Moscowitz and Matt and Ted Lee were sitting: "Best Mis-Use of the Weird Giant Chocolate Hand." By the end of the dinner, they had broken off all but one particular finger. Unfortunately, it was only moments before someone from the Fun Police broke off the remaining finger.

That may also explain why we journalists are given our own dinner.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer