• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corkscrew

guajolote

I recently got a "knock-off" version of "The Rabbitt" and have found this to be the easiest and best corkscrew I've used. You merely align it on the bottle, pull the lever up (inserts the screw) and then down (removes cork), the same motion removes the cork from the screw. This one only cost me $20. Downside: it is rather large and stored in a flat box, so you have to get it out each time you wanna use it.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I became disenchanted with the Rabbit. It doesn't work all the well on old or tight corks, in my experience, and isn't great on the synthetics either.

I prefer waiters' corkscrews, and have two: a Laguiole, and an old Henckels I found at a collectibles shop.

The "lever" types (Screwpull, Rabbit and the like) are easy and mostly work well. BUT, there are several parts that can break on them, and in the cheaper models, those parts usually do break. If you want to pay $130 for the origianl Screwpull (made by Le Creuset and guaranteed like all their products), you'll get something durable. If you buy the cheaper versions, you may run into problems. Keep in mind that these don't work very well on synthetic corks, and can't go through wax plugs without damaging the workings.

The Screwpull "table" model (about $25) is nice for people who are unsure of their ability to insert the worm straight, as it contains a guide. It's virtually foolproof and I recommend it for novices.

But a waiter's model is really the way to go, in my opinion. The "two-stage" models are really great, especially for those extra tight, stubborn corks.

Why don't they call them corkhelixes?

Craig Camp said:

I don't actually drink them I do research on corkscrews.

What's the best kind, or was this a joke?

Everyone else, what is the best kind?

It was apparently a poor attempt at humor. I confess to drinking eerrr... tasting them.

For me anything other than a good waiter's style corkscrew is a pain in the ....

You need a good spiral not auger screw, a sharp knife and a double level lever is best.

Laguiole are beautiful, work great and are super-expensive. They are to corkscrews what Montblanc is to pens. They are functional status symbols. Yes, I have one. You can spend a lot less and get a corkscrew that works just as well.

Try corkscrew.com to see almost every type available.

Corkscrew.com

We used to use the Screwpull exclusively. But it doesn't work on synthetic corks, so now we use a waiter's friend for everything. It was a giveaway from a now-defunct internet company; the wine knife is a hell of a lot sturdier than the company was. :hmmm:

We also have a lot of inexpensive metal ones -- they work just fine. I'd love to have a beautiful one like Laguiole, but I'm cheap. :biggrin:

I have a waiter's corkscrew from Monopol that works very well. I do want one of the double-hinged types, because the ones I've borrowed at work have been great.

Two questions: What does a spiral corkscrew look like, vs. an auger? Also, on mine, I have two knives. One is a curved blade and the other is a serrated straight blade. I always end up using the curved one to cut the capsules, but what's the serrated one for? The foil on Champagne?

Jennie

Two questions: What does a spiral corkscrew look like, vs. an auger?

This is a screw, or "auger". Notice there is a shaft down the middle, like a screw.

mon_elite.jpg

This a helix (see how it looks like DNA), or spiral. No shaft down the middle.

mon_pocket_redbottle.jpg

We have the Rabbit at home, but never use it. I recently purchased one of those double-hinged waiter's corkscrews for about $9. It's great.

Make sure you buy one with a thin worm and that the worm is coated with teflon or some other slippery coating (it'll wear off eventually though).

The double-hinge really makes it easier and it works great with tight or otherwise stubborn corks (crumbly, dry, etc.)

That said, put me in the 'yes' column for screwcaps!! :angry:

-yb

When I first started serving, I'd opened maybe five bottles of wine in my entire life. I would start shaking anytime someone ordered a bottle. Now, I still have trouble cutting through the foil sometimes and getting it to actually come off, but I enjoy opening bottles of wine. My corkscrew and I are good friends.

So I don't know about the screwtops - there's something fun about pulling the cork out. Of course, none of the wines we sell have crumbly corks so I haven't had to deal with that.

Now if only I could figure out that second knife!

I want a Laugiole, just for appearance, but would also really like a double hinge. Hmm.

Jennie

Oh, I also have a Screwpull table model that I bought due to my trepidation over opening bottles but couldn't use it at work due to its being unprofessional, so it mostly just sits in a drawer. $25 I'll never get back; oh well.

Jennie

one I use is like a hypodermic needle with a gas canister on it.  It's effortless and cheap. 

It works 99% of the time.  It's also useful on some of the 1% just because it shows things aren't always airtight.

I still have stains on my kitchen ceiling from one of these I got as a sample. :shock:

I'm quite taken with the rabbit, but the round foil-cutter that comes with it is useless, so I have to rely on a second thing to remove the foil. I find that a bit of a draw back.

As for it looking like a rabbit, to me it looks more like a gynecological instrument.

http://www.sharperimage.com/all/en/images/...ts/BP305-MI.jpg

(Oversharing?)