• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

in search for the best 'Tiramisu' in New York

yummee

A while back, I think it was in early 1997, I came across a book in WTC Borders that listed the top restaurants in New York. No, it's not Zagat, Gayot, NYT or Fodor's. It was something else and I have forgotten the name of the book. But what I remember was that the book mentioned that the best Tiramisu was in the restaurant called Arqua.

For some reasons, I've never been able to make a reservation at this restaurant until today. I guess because it's in downtown or maybe my hungry friends just never heard of this place called Arqua before.

I'm a dessert maniac. During my younger years, I would skip the main entrees just to head straight for dessert and I can eat multiple desserts at once. I've been to just about everywhere, from Cafes all the way to top NYC Italian restaurants.

To recall some of the places I've been for dessert, Cafe Mozart, Cafe Ferrara, Dixie Rose (I don't even think this Little Italy joint is still exist anymore), Carmine, Veniero, Il Tinello, Cafe Edgar II, Il Mulino, Il Cantinori, Cafe Lalo, Cafe Dante and probably just about 30-40 other mediocre Tiramisu places, not worth mentioning here. Before I make any conclusion as to what will the best restaurant for Tiramisu, I'd like to finally given Arqua a try. It's still open for business I hope.

Now, it's been 5-6 years later. Is this still the case (is Arqua still the best) ? Did Arqua really have the best Tiramisu in NYC ? Was the claim false ? Is it still the best now ? Has it ever been ? Any ideas ? Suggestion ?

Edited by yummee (log)

The best tiramisu that I've had in NY is at Mezzaluna on 3rd Ave. (just off 74th). It is the perfect balance of cream and espresso/kahlua soaked lady fingers.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

The thing is, since tiramisu became the archetypical dessert du jour of about every single italian (and even not italian) mid-range restaurant in the NY/NJ metro area, the novelty of the dessert has worn off for me, and I can't say I am ever tempted to order it when given the option anymore. Its sort of become the dessert equivalent to chicken sauteed in balsamico. It just aint that interesting, its hackneyed, and most of the ones out there just plain suck. They've devalued the tiramisu.

Now, if there really is a place out there that makes a phenomenal and unconventional tiramisu, I'm all ears. But it sounds like digging for a needle in a ten-foot foot high pile of paper clips.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

"The thing is, since tiramisu became the archetypical dessert du jour of about every single italian (and even not italian) mid-range restaurant in the NY/NJ metro area, the novelty of the dessert has worn off "

Well, I agree completely with you on this, however, no matter how generic the dessert has become, there will always be that supreme tiramisu place, supported by concensus as the paramount of all. The majority always rule.

Look at Peter Luger for Steak. Most people agree that it's the absolute pinnacle place to chow down the mighty, bloody cow flesh, but there are some minority voices that yell 'Sparks' or 'Palm' or 'The Post House' even 'Ruth's Chris' for heaven's sake. And how many places in the New York serves steaks ? Is this going to wear you off from eating steak ? For cup cakes we have Cup Cake Cafe; but there are many places that sell cup cakes too, so are we going to stop eating cup cakes because it has become mundane ? I could go on and on.

My point is there will always be that ultimate place that majority agrees upon, no matter how common, how ordinary the dessert has become to us. I'm simply trying to find that place.

yummee - it's so, so easy to make. Even the most basic recipes are better than what you get when you eat out. Here's a ridiculously easy thing to do - there's a brand of savoiardi (ladyfingers) that you can find all over the place - I forget the name now (it's an Italian import). It's a bright orange and yellow plastic package. Italian name.

Anyway....get them, and follow the recipe on the package. That was one of the early tiramisu recipes I used to make before I started varying them - and it's delicious. Just be sure to let it sit in the refrigerator for a long time - all day, or overnight. And finely grate chocolate on top before you serve it - don't use powdered. Use a rectangular glass baking dish if you have one.

Look at Peter Luger for Steak. Most people agree that it's the absolute pinnacle place to chow down the mighty, bloody cow flesh, but there are some minority voices that yell 'Sparks' or 'Palm' or 'The Post House' even 'Ruth's Chris' for heaven's sake.  And how many places in the New York serves steaks ? Is this going to wear you off from eating steak ? For cup cakes we have Cup Cake Cafe; but there are many places that sell cup cakes too, so are we going to stop eating cup cakes because it has become mundane ? I could go on and on.

My point is there will always be that ultimate place that majority agrees upon, no matter how common, how ordinary the dessert has become to us. I'm simply trying to find that place.

Steak and cupcakes arent trendy. They never were.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks La Nina, I'll look for it if I can somehow find someone who would want to make it for me. I'm not a big fan of being in the kitchen, I'd rather pay for it.

Jason Perlow, I know steak and cupcakes aren't trendy. How about souffle ? They are served in just about all French, French-Continental, New American restaurants in NYC ? The same thing with sushi, even delis serve sushi. There are tons of other trendy food (and drinks), apple martinis, short ribs, tapas, seabass with miso sauce, creme brulee, to name a few. Those are very generic too these days.

Well, let's not go overboard with these back and forth arguments now. I'm simply trying to get more info on Arqua and find out about good tiramisu places in NYC.

Edited by yummee (log)

I too, was on the great tiramisu search about 10 years ago (not in NY though), every time my boyfriend and I traveled if tiramisu was on the menu I always ordered it. It got to the point that we we only go to Italian restaurants because I had to have it. The sad thing is I always came away disappointed, it never matched my expectations.

then I made it myself one day.....

I will never eat it in a restaurant again! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

How about souffle ? They are served in just about all French, French-Continental, New American restaurants in NYC ?

Are you referring to the trendy molten chocolate cake? If so, then you are right. However, the old-fashioned souffle in various flavors that used to be ubiquitous is now found in only a few French bistros.

How about souffle ? They are served in just about all French, French-Continental, New American restaurants in NYC ?

Are you referring to the trendy molten chocolate cake? If so, then you are right. However, the old-fashioned souffle in various flavors that used to be ubiquitous is now found in only a few French bistros.

Souffles are also available at Bayard's.

Glad to hear your suggestion Cpalms. 'Via Quadrono in the 70's on the eastside' huh ?! Okay! Well, maybe I'll give it a try.

Let's not argue about off topic stuff here. I was originally posting about 'Tiramisu,' and a question about Arqua. Your input is great appreciated.

Edited by yummee (log)