• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pouring French Wine Down the Drain

thefoodhunter

At the risk of incurring the wrath of moderators who don't want politics messing up this site can I make a suggestion.

I believe in freedom of expresion but I also believe in constructive criticism. Rather than pour French wine down the drain, I suggest that restaurateurs or consumers who want to protest the French position in the UN sell or auction off their unwanted French wine and donate the proceeds to a veteran's hospital. At least the money will be going to support the soldiers who may be wounded or maimed for life if this conflict actually happens.

Another solution would be to send me your unwanted wines...

This is a great idea but no one will go for it.

I liked the previous suggestion of filtering it all through our kidneys first and THEN putting it down the toilet

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The problem with pouring it down the drain is that the French have already been payed for it. You are just depriving yourself the pleasure of drinking it. Sure there is a political statement made, but it's not hurting France.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I amazed that this petty-assed political statement of pouring out french wines and dropping "french" from french fries keeps getting so much media attention. Even the NYTimes has devoted about a quarter of the front page (below the fold thankfully) to the issue.

I amazed that this petty-assed political statement of pouring out french wines and dropping "french" from french fries keeps getting so much media attention.  Even the NYTimes has devoted about a quarter of the front page (below the fold thankfully) to the issue.

There are millions of restaurants in the world, I'm sure. All are seeking visibility, to stand out in the buyer's mind. To cut thru the clutter and be noticed.

This fellow at Old Bay is in the select few who have had achieved that objective. CNN, several turns in the NY Times, most French TV and radio. That's not a bad investment for (maybe) pouring out a few hundred dollars of wine. And, there's no solid evidence of the pour out other than his word for it.

A local butcher here in NJ put an ad in the Caldwell NJ Progress newspaper, supporting the President's call for action against Iraq. Although a number of angry people wrote letters of complaint, he told me last night his business is up 20%.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I amazed that this petty-assed political statement of pouring out french wines and dropping "french" from french fries keeps getting so much media attention.  Even the NYTimes has devoted about a quarter of the front page (below the fold thankfully) to the issue.

There are millions of restaurants in the world, I'm sure. All are seeking visibility, to stand out in the buyer's mind. To cut thru the clutter and be noticed.

This fellow at Old Bay is in the select few who have had achieved that objective. CNN, several turns in the NY Times, most French TV and radio. That's not a bad investment for (maybe) pouring out a few hundred dollars of wine. And, there's no solid evidence of the pour out other than his word for it.

A local butcher here in NJ put an ad in the Caldwell NJ Progress newspaper, supporting the President's call for action against Iraq. Although a number of angry people wrote letters of complaint, he told me last night his business is up 20%.

Hey, it's not the goddamned wine's fault...

Greetings from beautiful Bucks County, where a crusty film of snow and ice lingers in the fields. Last night, in a patriotic fervor, my friend John poured a number of old, reasonably valuable French Burgundies down the drain.

An action shot:

fc8383f2.jpg

Some victims, awaiting their yet-entumbreled comrades:

fc8383f4.jpg

Of course, we'd first sampled them all in a vain attempt to find a bottle for dinner that hadn't been spoiled by improper storage.

Moderators: Rather than risk association with the petty political and anti-political sentiments expressed in an existing, superficially similar thread on this topic, I've elected to start my own. Do with it as thou wilt (for this, of course, is the whole of the law).

Edit: And merged they were, hours after even two moderators had posted to the new thread. Quel dommage. C'est la vie.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

A terrible way to treat fine wine. The bad storage, I mean.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If you feel that way then drink the ones you have. Don't order them off a wine list but don't buy any new releases of their wine. Or simply put your stock away till the tide turns back in favour of France as it most assuredly will. By not buying the new releases the message will get through for what that will be worth.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

A terrible way to treat fine wine. The bad storage, I mean.

Amen to this - what a sin! When he passes on your friend shall be confined to the seventh circle of Dante's inferno. His own personal Purgatory where he's the steward of Satan's own fine collection, has no way out and no corkscrew! :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I hope that Americans boycott all French wine (why they should feel so anti-French because they disagree with US thinking is beyond me) as this will surely push the prices down for the rest of us.

Gary Frisch, the owner of Gary's Wines in NJ, is quoted in today's Newark Star-Ledger. He says that high end French wine sales in his chain haven't been hurt a bit by the position of the perfidious French.

The wines coming in are among the best in history. Wine lovers know that, and are paying for the quality.

I'd bet the higher cost of the Euro to the US dollar will have more impact on the prcing of new imports than any political setiments, however noble they might seem to be.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I think that people who want to protest by getting rid of their French wine, should give them to children of Holocaust survivors, especially Polish survivors, to do what they please with them.    :cool:

I never thought the day would come, but here it is. Plotnicki, I'm in full agreement.

I'm Canadian.  You guys (Americans) don't really like us either, right?  So why not punish me by sending me all that terrible, terrible French wine? Come on, show this pesky Canadian whose boss!  :blink:

I'm Canadian as well pick me.

slowfood/slowwine

Does this mean that as someone who is opposed to the imminent violation of international law in Iraq, I should exclusively drink French wine, eat French cheese, and dine in French restaurants?

I'm finding it hard to see a downside here. :biggrin:

Geeeez...I don't know ... I am currently working for a french owned company called La Madeleine located in Houston, Business has never been better....and Texas is known for its political correctness if ya know what I mean.

Soooo...what do we do next tear down the Statue of Liberty? I think some people need to get a real life....as some of you already said, we are only hurting ourselves.

JTL

Is a Member of PETA..."People Eating Tasty Animals"

I went wine shopping today and my wine guy said that nobody had mentioned the French thing to him. He did say that several distributors of his had reported that shops in the Chicago suburbs had canceled orders for French wines.