• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waterfront dining

suzz

In warm weather, we like to go to Rooney's Ocean Crab House, in Long Branch. They have a large room facing the ocean with doors that completely open, so you are totally shielded from the elements, but still get the effect of outdoor dining. The food is quite decent, and they have a key lime pie that I think is seriously delicious. :smile: We generally go during the week for a late lunch. It's busy then, but we have never had trouble getting a table. We would never go near the place on a summer week-end when I understand the place is a zoo.

Seabra's Armory in Perth Amboy has a lovely view and the rodizio was delicious as well as the warm service. There was a full a la carte menu which looked good too. You can check out the discussion of the recent DDC dinner there here DDC Dinner at Seabra's Armory

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

if you want a hamburger and fries with a beer but aren't ravenous- the service tends to be a bit slow- try o, sullivans! on rt 181 in jefferson when the weather gets nice - IF it ever gets nice. can't recommend any other places on lake hopatcong because after 19 years up here i have found the food is mediocre and the service is slowwwwww.

if and when seneca lake fills in zoe's could become a great place to hang out. :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Don't know what part of Jersey you are in-- of course, many "ordinary" type places along the shore, a couple of very good ones in Cape May.

For North Jersey, City Bistro in Hoboken is quite decent, on the top floor of a building with a wonderful view of the city.

Rat's in Hamilton is top of the line, with a gorgeous sculpture garden and pond to look at, specially designed.

Can you narrow down the criteria?

Old Waterway Inn--Atlantic City

Hofbrauhaus House--Highlands

Morrison's-Long Beach Island

Ocean Front Restaurant--Brigantine

Windows By The Sea--Point Pleasant Beach

Pelican Club, Cape May

Sorry but I haven't eaten at any of them.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Pelican Club, Cape May

We were at the Hofbrauhaus once during Octoberfest many years ago. It was at night, so I can't comment on the view. (Didn't realize they had one.) But I can comment on the food. It was thorougly mediocre. That's why we never went back.

Edited by rozrapp (log)

Pelican Club, Cape May

Windows by the Sea is actually Windows on the Water in PPB. It was previously inhabited by Heatwave, but since they have moved into their new space in Bayhead, Spano's is now taking over, offering "steak and italian" (that's what the sign says). While it is not waterfront, they do have views from the restaurant windows since they are located on Ocean Avenue, facing the ocean.

Rockafellas in PPB faces the Manasquan inlet and is OK. It occupies the old Kelley's restaurant. Views from the second floor, but it gets noisy.

Matisse in Belmar

We were there once and never need to return.

Went to a wedding there in January, had way above average food and service...however, I've never been there for dinner, and most of the reviews, both official and on the grapevine, match Rosie's opinion. However,its almost as "oceanside" as you can get!

If you are in central NJ, then Bucks Cty PA is a good choice, along the deleware. I like the Landing.

Pelican Club, Cape May

We were at the Hofbrauhaus once during Octoberfest many years ago. It was at night, so I can't comment on the view. (Didn't realize they had one.) But I can comment on the food. It was thorougly mediocre. That's why we never went back.

Hofbrauhaus is about 100 yards from the water, and then another 100 yards straight up. Located on the crest of the hill overlooking the Raritan Bay. Food was unimpressive, but they had a nice selection of German beers on draft.

The former Lover's Lane was just east of their location. Nice paking area with a view of Sandy Hook and the Bay, Verazzano Bridge, World Trade Center, etc. Not that anybody was there for the view, of course.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I used to watch the submarine races right by the Hoffbrau. Rooney's is pretty decent but pricey. They do get good tropical fish like grouper and snapper though. Barnacle Bills in Rumson is riverside but only a few tables have a decent view. Salt Creek Grill in Rumson has more of a view and decent New American type food. The Original Oyster in Highlands has a nice marina view and good seafood. I especially like the praline encrusted snapper, though I do not usually like sweet fish dishes. It is rather hard to find though, but you can usually get a table if you call a few hours ahead, even on a summer weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dining waterside?  It could be on the ocean, bay, river or lake, indoors with merely a view, or on a deck or patio in the warmer weather.

Molly Pitcher Inn in Red Bank

Dutchmans ( either Brauhaus or Hofbrauhaus - can't remember which ) on the causeway going out to Ship Bottom.