• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special juices

wgallois

Has there ever been a discussion of Indian juice bars on the board? I have a question relating to so-called 'special juices' which are sometimes on offer in such places. In Indian-run juice bars in the Emirates these often have great names, but there is often no clue as to what kind of fruit cocktail they consist of, and I am curious as to whether there exists a set of names that Indians across the world would recognise.

I know that a 'Lexus' consists of mango and avocado juice with ice cream, but what about a 'Disco', a 'Titanic', a 'www', a 'Valentine Day' or a 'Computer'? I would guess that mixes such as 'Mumtaz' and 'Wastha' are specific to this part of the world, but perhaps I am wrong?

I have a lot of affection for such juice bars as I think they provide drinks which are both tasty and nutritious.

The answer to your question would be a "NO".

However, these names do get recognized over a period of time and subsequently used by other Vendors.

A good example is "Gunga Jamuna" - which is a mix of Orange and Sweet lime.

In terms of having a set of rules or Naming conventions, it is at the discretion of the Vendor.

This whole thing stems from the fact that Indian foods do not have a school of thought, unlike the French and Italian, which are tied down by some Gastronomic rules.

AFAIK -  its sweet lime and Orange, unless someone has changed this to using pineapple where sweet lime is not available

:smile:

Indiachef... thanks for your sweet response. I was in Delhi a few months ago and the vendor served me ganga jamuna saraswai.. mix of sweet lime, orange and pineapple... it was a hoot!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

wgallois - fyi - ganga, jamuna, saraswati btw are all names of indian rivers that are also considered holy and therefore frequently embodied as godesses!

the names you mentioned, of course, are pop culture. but as others have said they seem specific to your area. i've never heard of them ........

lexus ..... i love it.

wgallois - fyi - ganga, jamuna, saraswati btw are all names of indian rivers that are also considered holy and therefore frequently embodied as godesses!

the names you mentioned, of course, are pop culture. but as others have said they seem specific to your area. i've never heard of them ........

lexus ..... i love it.

And we should not forget to mention for all here that Saraswati is now a river that is considered mythical... people say it once flowed in this region....and it was at the confluence of these three rivers that the famous Kumbh Mela is still celebrated. The story about this river is more involved, but is not food related.. so just this much should suffice for now.

What is most amazing to me is how these three rivers have affected most every art form in the Indian lifestyle. Not surprising thus that even cuisine has borrowed their names.