• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 stars - political or technical achievement

Guys,

I was boozing a few days ago with a very highly regarded chef, and former member of Gordon Ramsay's staff (Aubergine), who opined some interesting thoughts.

Now these views were just of a personal nature, and not intended to an all encompassing sweeping statement.

Anyway, the suggestion was that Gordon at RHR would not have 3 stars if he was in France, instead of star bereft Britain.

I don't know if I agree, but I found it a refreshingly candid view.

I certainly feel Wareing is, and has been for some time, in charge of the superior kitchen.

What do you lot think?

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Agree (With Steve that is).

GR@RHR is a superb kitchen, I can't comment on 3 stars in France (not for anoher couple of months at least) but in my opinion, Petrus has never reached the heights that GR has at either Aubergine or RHR.

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I agree that RHR is better than Petrus, I am still surprised that Petrus has not received a second star though. It would appear to meet the requirements as demonstarted by other London two star restaurants e.g. Pied a Terre.

Paul

new to board so here goes on losing my egullet virginity!!

I'm sure Michelin would tell you that 3 star standard in the UK and France should be comparble! Having eaten at RHR on a number of occasions, as well as Arpege, Pierre Gaganaire, Lucas Carton and Guy Savoy (any questions on these i will be happy to answer), i would say in my personal opinion that RHR holds its stars fairly. Taking into account the different styles and approaches to cuisine and service, i have been impressed on every visit to RHR! The service and ambience is top notch, and while the whole menu may not be ground breaking (certain elements certainly have been), nobody can argue with the invention, execution and consistency. Dishes such as the ravioli of lobster and langoustines and the sea bass in various guises are truly great, and equal to many dishes i've experienced in France.

This said..a meal at Pierre Gagnaire or Arpege is unique and i would recommend a trip there to anyone! (save up first) :shock:

I agree with Matthew and Paul that RHR is better than Petrus! I personally think by a long way, but it will be interesting to see what happens with the move to The Berkely, and as to how much time the chef spends in the kitchen!!

Taste is everything

I was boozing a few days ago with a very highly regarded chef, and former member of Gordon Ramsay's staff (Aubergine), who opined some interesting thoughts.

Now there's a dangerous combination. Alcohol, envy and "interesting" thoughts :laugh:

GR@RHR is known to me only by reputation, and all I hear says it merits its Michelin status.

However, far more significantly, everything I have ever heard about Michelin suggests that their assessment process is beyond reproach. Not beyond disagreement, because what they're assessing is too broad to be universally accepted. But to suggest they would improve a grading for the reason suggested is quite out of line with Michelin's reputation. On the other hand, a "highly regarded chef", ex-employee of GR, maybe with an axe to grind and possibly envious of GR's achievement ... well that's not beyond the stretch of credibility :raz: