• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pop Tarts

awbrig

Havent had one in who know hows long, but Ive had a few beers and am ready to try them again....

This one has white frosting...are you suppossed to but butter on these things before or after you put them in the toaster?

Share your Pop Tarts story or advice...

Advice from Fire Marshall Bill: Do not butter said 'Tarts before placing them in the toaster. :shock: The ensuing grease fire will toast more than your tasty pastry!

Hey~

you tryin to put me outta work or something?

You say that likes its a BAD thing!~

MIND YER OWN DAMN BUSINESS! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Schielke Posted: Mar 12 2003, 04:47 PM 

That flaming pop tart is no joke, a roomate of mine put one in the toaster and then went to the restroom for a minute. When he came back, there were 2 foot flames coming from the toaster. Stupid pop tart. 

Since we're on the topic of flaming snack foods, visit http://www.twinkiesproject.com and click on the "Rapid Oxidation" link. :shock:

Please note that no toaster was involved. :rolleyes:

Try lighting m&m's sometime too! Always worked like a charm for me when I was bored.

They don't make my favourite anymore - graham cracker crust with chocolate filling.

But the unfrosted brown sugar cinnamon is good too. Especially as an instant pastry crust. Topped with vanilla ice cream and apple sauce - instant hot apple pie a la mode. And sometimes microwaved chocolate chip sauce drizzled over.

Am I really the only one who puts butter on their Pop tarts?

I put it on the frosting and then on the bottom...sometimes Ill even put Tabasco sauce then on top of it...I can see where some might find that gross... :smile:

Am I really the only one who puts butter on their Pop tarts?

I put it on the frosting and then on the bottom...sometimes Ill even put Tabasco sauce then on top of it...I can see where some might find that gross... :smile:

I like to eat the outer unfrosted crust, then split the top and bottom layers, eating the bottom layer first-always.

Butter your pop tart all you want-I'm not here to judge. :smile:

We like the mooooon........Coz it is close to us...........

Considering the fact that I was born with a freakishly strong sweet tooth, I always preferred the chocolate frosted s'more one, the strawberry frosted, and recently I tried the cookies and cream stix one...not that great but sure does satisfy that sugar craving in a pinch :smile:

-Elizabeth

Mmmmmmm chocolate.

• 14 years later...

Resurrecting an ancient discussion to say I spotted a new flavor in my local Walmart: Pumpkin.

Has anyone tried them? Are they part of the "pumpkin spice" bandwagon? Or are they just pumpkin?

They also had Halloween-themed frosted Pop Tarts with orange icing in the shape of a carved pumpkin/scary face. I wasn't sure what the flavor was...chocolate probably.

I all but gave up buying them in general because the Pop Tarts I bought at Walmart seemed like they had been tossed around in a football game. They were all broken and once they break, the filling "seeps" out, making the Pop Tart soft and gooey-ish. >:( Meh.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

35 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Resurrecting an ancient discussion to say I spotted a new flavor in my local Walmart: Pumpkin.

Has anyone tried them? Are they part of the "pumpkin spice" bandwagon? Or are they just pumpkin?

They also had Halloween-themed frosted Pop Tarts with orange icing in the shape of a carved pumpkin/scary face. I wasn't sure what the flavor was...chocolate probably.

I all but gave up buying them in general because the Pop Tarts I bought at Walmart seemed like they had been tossed around in a football game. They were all broken and once they break, the filling "seeps" out, making the Pop Tart soft and gooey-ish. >:( Meh.

I haven't seen the pumpkin Pop Tarts yet but I saw (and resisted) a Trader Joe's version yesterday. 

I also noticed a whole "pumpkin spice" end cap display at Whole Foods.  It's taking over the earth!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Reviving this ancient discussion for this article:

"Kellogg's to Launch This New Pop-Tarts Flavor in the New Year"

...Kellogg's decided to add an afternoon-friendly snack to its roster of Pop-Tarts: the Pop-Tarts Pretzel. The confection comes in two varieties, Chocolate and Cinnamon Sugar, and will be available in grocery stores around the country starting January 2020 for $3.49.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

Reviving this ancient discussion for this article:

"Kellogg's to Launch This New Pop-Tarts Flavor in the New Year"

I would definitely try these.  I think they've missed an opportunity, though - they need to make one with peanut butter filling.  Those PB filled pretzel nuggets are super popular.  

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Growing up - man, I used to LOVE Pop-Tarts! LOVE THEM!!! We never got them ... we didn't eat stuff like that hardly ever - if I ever did get to eat them it was at a friends' house and that wasn't often ... my parents just didn't buy stuff like that ... no junk food, no canned food ... no frozen food (except the odd half gallon of Braum's ice cream a few times a year and the plethora of frozen Korean items that were decidedly NOT frozen "treats" ;o) ) - except for when my mom visited her mother / brothers  ~ then it was a veritable hey day! :shock: :ph34r: xD 

Back to Pop-Tarts ... Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon - that was my flavor of choice ... second best - Frosted Strawberry ... Pumpkin? I do not like all the pumpkin flavor stuff that comes out - I like using real pumpkin in stuff, ohmyyes!!! It's wonderful! Pumpkin coffee, cheerios, sausage, cornflakes, bagels, cinnamon rolls, egg nog, pretzels - oy vey ... no. Make your own? Different xD

• Like 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

2 hours ago, CatIsHungry said:

We never got them ... we didn't eat stuff like that hardly ever - ...

Back to Pop-Tarts ... Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon - that was my flavor of choice

Growing up, we got Pop-Tarts maybe once a year or so.  Maybe it was a sale or a coupon because we were each allowed to pick a flavor.  And I always picked the Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon, too!

• Like 3

The cinnamon one is still one of my favorites.  I like the berry ones, too.  

It's funny that we never got Pop Tarts or junky cereals because my mom wasn't the Healthy Homemaker at all.  Honestly, I probably didn't think to ask for them. Most of the time, she shopped alone on the way home from work (smart lady), so I wasn't there to ask for stuff when I saw it and she just bought what she needed.  Cereal was almost always Cheerios, Wheat Chex, or Rice Krispies; bread was "diet" - Hollywood or Roman Meal and toasted pastries never happened.  Once I went to college and had my own apartment, though, I went to town.  Lucky Charms, Wonderbread, and Pop Tarts!  My cabinets looked like toddler shopping.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, Kim Shook said:

I would definitely try these.  I think they've missed an opportunity, though - they need to make one with peanut butter filling.  Those PB filled pretzel nuggets are super popular.  

Peanut Butter flavor with the Pretzel Pop Tart would totally rock. Though, because it's a Pop Tart they would probably have to add a little sweetness....maybe a little honey with the Peanut Butter? Great idea, Kim!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver