• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pop Tarts

awbrig

Havent had one in who know hows long, but Ive had a few beers and am ready to try them again....

This one has white frosting...are you supposed to put butter on these things before or after you put them in the toaster?

Share your Pop Tarts story or advice...

Edited by awbrig (log)

butter on pop tarts?

eeeewwwww! :wacko:

I like them best straight out of the box! no toaster for me.

I almost cried the first time I gave my (born and raised in Japan) children a pop tart and they didn't like it.

How could they not love it? I begged for them as a child :sad:

They didn't like kool-aid either.

I see these both as good things now! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

A father of 4 KNOWS his pop-tarts. As far as butter on pop-tarts go, it's quite good on the unfrosted brown sugar cinnamon variety that has been heated. The butter is a nice contrast to the overly sweet filling. That's pretty much the only way Mrs. Varmint will eat a pop-tart.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Havent had one in who know hows long, but Ive had a few beers and am ready to try them again....

This one has white frosting...are you suppossed to but butter on these things before or after you put them in the toaster?

Advice from Fire Marshall Bill: Do not butter said 'Tarts before placing them in the toaster. :shock: The ensuing grease fire will toast more than your tasty pastry!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

This one has white frosting...are you suppossed to but butter on these things before or after you put them in the toaster?

Advice from Fire Marshall Bill: Do not butter said 'Tarts before placing them in the toaster. :shock: The ensuing grease fire will toast more than your tasty pastry!

Maybe you shouldn't drink beer before toasting them either.

Edited by claire797 (log)

A couple of cheesy-looking off-brand Pop Tarts emerging from the toaster are what caused Butch Coolidge to ventilate Vincent Vega's chest with several rounds from a .45 caliber Mac-10 submachine gun. I'm not implying that Vincent would be alive today if Butch ate cheerios instead of Pop Tarts, just that the sound of them popping are what did Vincent in at that exact moment. Butch would have shot him anyway moments later.

This one has white frosting...are you supposed to put butter on these things before or after you put them in the toaster?

awbrig,

If I were you I would go with the pop-tart sticks. They seem to be less dry.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Beer with poptarts?  Have you gone mad?  The only correct pairing is a big

glass of Tang, freshly mixed of course!

Nono. Mountain Dew and Pop Tarts is the breakfast of champions. You can feel your teeth rotting out of your head as you eat.

I like the blueberry and raspberry frosted Pop Tarts best. But they are, in fact, way the hell too sweet so I only eat them once or twice a year.

Jennie

That flaming pop tart is no joke, a roomate of mine put one in the toaster and then went to the restroom for a minute.  When he came back, there were 2 foot flames coming from the toaster.  Stupid pop tart. :raz:

This happened to my little sister when she was about five. The toaster was sitting on the lower level of a two tier glass trolley. When the flames shot up, it heated up the glass surface of the top tier. Shattered glass went flying and the flames even shot up higher. I threw water on it (yes, a no-no for electrical fires, but I was 11 and panicking!), pulled out the plug, and surveyed the damage. My only thought was how to cover this up so mom wouldn't find out. We cleaned everything up, and hoped that she wouldn't notice that the trolley arrangement looked a bit different. Kids.. :wink:

We cleaned everything up, and hoped that she wouldn't notice that the trolley arrangement looked a bit different. Kids.. :wink:

:laugh: Looked a bit different? You mean, exploded?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Schielke Posted: Mar 12 2003, 04:47 PM 

That flaming pop tart is no joke, a roomate of mine put one in the toaster and then went to the restroom for a minute. When he came back, there were 2 foot flames coming from the toaster. Stupid pop tart. 

Since we're on the topic of flaming snack foods, visit http://www.twinkiesproject.com and click on the "Rapid Oxidation" link. :shock:

Please note that no toaster was involved. :rolleyes:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I noticed a few years ago that the instructions for microwaving a pop tart call for 3 seconds on high. I thought this was a typo so I called customer service. It is indeed 3 seconds. Apparently there'd been some burns reported from scalding filling caused by over heating in the microwave (the filling gets hotter than the pastry).