• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Talking Frog of Roy J. Plunkett

Fat Guy

Great article Dave, very fun to read a la Alton Brown :smile:

What about the "Do not heat Teflon with out any oil or somekind of fat in it", myth or fact Dave?

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Great article Dave, very fun to read  a la Alton Brown :smile:

What about the "Do not heat Teflon with out any oil  or somekind of fat in it", myth or fact Dave?

FM

Myth. The only time you might actually need fat in a PTFE-coated pan is when baking, and even then, it's optional.

DuPont does suggest "seasoning" with a film of oil, but I haven't seen that it makes any difference. The oil usually just puddles up.

I can state from personal experience, however, that if you put maybe two tablespoons of EVOO in a PTFE-coated pan, and get it so hot that the oil catches on fire, you will be left with some extremely icky black goo that will not come out of the pan. Not recommended.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.