• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

It looks so lovely and relaxing. Thanks for taking us with you :) 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KennethT said:

My wife and I were there for a long weekend in October, 2014....  a hurricane arrived shortly after we did!

Ha that happened to us too, in 2011 I think.  We were the last plane to land before the storm caused the airport to close.  It was wild when we got up the next morning: our room faced the harbor and it did not seem like anything was happening.  Then we went to the ocean side of the hotel and the wind and waves were crazy!  Luckily the storm blew out quickly and the rest of our vacation was lovely.

Light photos from yesterday.  We walked on the beach trail down to my favorite beach, Warwick Long Bay, with the intention of coming back up on the road and having lunch at the South Shore Swizzle Inn.

warwick long bay.jpg

Unfortunately we ended up walking in the wrong direction and ended up back at our resort haha.  Grilled shrimp wrap from the Beach Cabana:

beach cabana shrimp wrap.jpg

Dinner was at the Waterlot Inn, one of the oldest restaurants on the island.  It's been around in some form or another since 1610.  We shared a tart made of local Bermuda onions for our starter.  

waterlot onion tart2.jpg

For mains I got the fish sampler, which was tuna, salmon, and grouper.  My husband had a waygu steak.  This is an a la carte restaurant so for sides we shared some sautéed spinach and truffled mac and cheese.  Too full for dessert, though they did give us some chocolate covered sea salt caramels.  They are in the fridge for later.

waterlot fish sampler.jpg

Everything was tasty but don't go here if you are on a budget.  The bill was punishingly expensive.

• Like 8

A morning spent hiking around and up to the top of a lighthouse earned us a nice lunch.  Lighthouse view

gibbs hill harbor view 3.jpg

We walked over to a nearby hotel for lunch.  The Reefs

Drinks, because hiking earns drinks in my world

reefs drinks.jpg

Conch fritters

reefs conch fritters.jpg

Snapper sandwich

reefs snapper sandwich.jpg

Mahi tacos

reefs mahi tacos.jpg

View from our table

reefs cliff view.jpg

Dinner was a return to the Ocean Club

ocean club view.jpg

ocean club sunday calamari.jpg

Rockfish with banana

ocean club rockfish with banana.jpg

Rockfish with lavender thyme lava salt

ocean club sunday rockfish.jpg

ocean club sunday lobster tail.jpg

Mini ice cream cones

ocean club sunday ice cream.jpg

• Like 13

Last meal.  Early lunch at Jasmine.  Restaurant view

jasmine view.jpg

Mahi sandwich with guacamole

jasmine mahi sandwich.jpg

Bermuda codfish sandwich with curry sauce and avocado on hot cross bun

jasmine codfish.jpg

The end

dock sunset 2.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks for the ride, it all looks delicious, and you took delightful photos :)

• Like 2

Oh, you go to lovely places!  Thank you for taking us along and sharing the food - visually, at least.  :B

• Like 2

I'm in Bermuda for a quick vacation.  We are staying at the Southampton Princess.  Here's the view from our room.

A quick bite in the Jasmine Lounge, tuna on masa rounds  with some sort of spicy slaw

We had dinner at the Ocean Club.  Our table view 

Warm rolls

Wahoo seveche

It's lobster season, so husband got the grilled lobster special

I had a grilled seafood assortment of wahoo, shrimp, scallops, and calamari

we shared some spinach

and the hotel sent us a complimentary dessert of mini pina colada ice cream cones

• Like 10

I was worried that Bermuda was affected by some of the recent hurricanes, but it certainly looks fine in your photos!

@liamsaunt  Oh, what lovely memories you are bringing back.  Mr. Kim and I were there back in the late 1980’s.  The trip was a gift from his mother celebrating him attaining his Master’s.  We adored it!  We were still broke from graduate school and so we did everything on a budget!  I’ve never met such lovely people.  We still order the sherry pepper sauce to make the fish chowder we loved at the Hog Penny. It was our first trip out of the US and we were told by another couple (who had started their Bermuda trips with their honeymoon in the 1950's) that we had done things in the wrong order.  Coming to Bermuda first would ruin us for the other islands - we'd never be satisfied with them.  It was true!  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2

On 9/22/2017 at 9:48 AM, KennethT said:

I was worried that Bermuda was affected by some of the recent hurricanes, but it certainly looks fine in your photos!

Nope, not at all.  So many islands in the Caribbean were devastated.  One of the reasons we came down now is that we are investigating homes to rent next summer.  We usually go to St. John for two weeks, but thanks to Irma and Maria, that won't happen next year.  So many homes were destroyed and it is going to take a while to rebuild.

On to happier thoughts...we were upgraded to the Gold floor, which includes free breakfast, snacks, tea, desserts, and an honor bar.  So far we have taken advantage of the breakfast, and a glass of wine from the honor bar. We have not been at the hotel when the other stuff is on offer.   Here's a random breakfast plate.  The offerings are extensive.

And the breakfast view

Here's the hotel beach

We had fish sandwiches on the beach for lunch.  They were made with wahoo, one of my favorites.  Lunch view

Grilled fish sandwich

Fried fish sandwich

The hotel is adjacent to Horseshoe Bay, one of the most beautiful beaches on the island.  We spent the afternoon swimming there and working up an appetite for dinner

We ate at Mickey's Bistro at the Elbow Beach Hotel.  The restaurant is right on the beach

House cured salmon

Grilled seafood platter.  This had amberjack, mahi mahi, octopus, scallops, and I think calamari.

Seafood stew: shrimp, salmon, mahi mahi, scallops, and calamari in a lovely herbed tomato sauce

We were too full for dessert.

• Like 8

John and I cruised here last month.  I want to go back!!!!! Especially since the other islands we had been to on the last cruise we took together are now totally devastated.  Ate in St. George's at the White Horse...never thought about putting fish on raisin bread.  What a revelation.

We were berthed at the Royal Naval Dockyards and I had a blast walking around learning so much about the history in this area.  Loved the fish.............brought home some gifts that included sauces, onion jam and black cake.

• Like 3

After a morning at the beach

we went to the beach cabana for lunch.  Pretty good caesar salads--one with wahoo

one with shrimp

We went back to the Ocean Club for dinner because lazy.  Drinks

Shrimp appetizer

grilled asparagus

old bay fries

pink sunset

• Like 6

I've been back since Monday but have not had time to finish this up.  Here are the last couple of meals.  One day we stopped in to the hotel lounge for a snack of guacamole

We hiked along Bermuda's South Shore to work up an appetite for dinner.  Here's a picture of my favorite beach

We headed to The Dock for pre-dinner drinks

Dinner was at the Waterlot

We were seated in the Wine Cellar, which was extremely dark, so I did not get pictures of everything.  Garlic roll

Wedge salad

Beef tartare

Fish sampler

Last day...we had a quick lunch at Jasmine before heading to the airport.  View

Shrimp caesar

Southwest chicken salad

And that's it.  It does look like we will be coming down for two weeks next summer.  We will be staying in a house (two houses, actually), with a group, and probably only eating out once or twice.  I should be able to share some photos of the markets and local foods then.  That trip might end up being a better post on the "Bermuda cooking" thread.

Until next summer

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 7