• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

burmaball

Dining in Bermuda

57 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, KennethT said:

My wife and I were there for a long weekend in October, 2014....  a hurricane arrived shortly after we did!

Ha that happened to us too, in 2011 I think.  We were the last plane to land before the storm caused the airport to close.  It was wild when we got up the next morning: our room faced the harbor and it did not seem like anything was happening.  Then we went to the ocean side of the hotel and the wind and waves were crazy!  Luckily the storm blew out quickly and the rest of our vacation was lovely.

Light photos from yesterday.  We walked on the beach trail down to my favorite beach, Warwick Long Bay, with the intention of coming back up on the road and having lunch at the South Shore Swizzle Inn.

warwick long bay.jpg

Unfortunately we ended up walking in the wrong direction and ended up back at our resort haha.  Grilled shrimp wrap from the Beach Cabana:

beach cabana shrimp wrap.jpg

Dinner was at the Waterlot Inn, one of the oldest restaurants on the island.  It's been around in some form or another since 1610.  We shared a tart made of local Bermuda onions for our starter.  

waterlot onion tart2.jpg

For mains I got the fish sampler, which was tuna, salmon, and grouper.  My husband had a waygu steak.  This is an a la carte restaurant so for sides we shared some sautéed spinach and truffled mac and cheese.  Too full for dessert, though they did give us some chocolate covered sea salt caramels.  They are in the fridge for later.

waterlot fish sampler.jpg

Everything was tasty but don't go here if you are on a budget.  The bill was punishingly expensive.

8 people like this

A morning spent hiking around and up to the top of a lighthouse earned us a nice lunch.  Lighthouse view

gibbs hill harbor view 3.jpg

We walked over to a nearby hotel for lunch.  The Reefs

reefs.jpg

Drinks, because hiking earns drinks in my world

reefs drinks.jpg

Conch fritters

reefs conch fritters.jpg

Snapper sandwich

reefs snapper sandwich.jpg

Mahi tacos

reefs mahi tacos.jpg

View from our table

reefs cliff view.jpg

Dinner was a return to the Ocean Club

ocean club view.jpg

Calamari

ocean club sunday calamari.jpg

Rockfish with banana

ocean club rockfish with banana.jpg

Rockfish with lavender thyme lava salt

ocean club sunday rockfish.jpg

Lobster

ocean club sunday lobster tail.jpg

Mini ice cream cones

ocean club sunday ice cream.jpg

12 people like this

Last meal.  Early lunch at Jasmine.  Restaurant view

jasmine view.jpg

Mahi sandwich with guacamole

jasmine mahi sandwich.jpg

Bermuda codfish sandwich with curry sauce and avocado on hot cross bun

jasmine codfish.jpg

The end

dock sunset 2.jpg

8 people like this

Thanks for the ride, it all looks delicious, and you took delightful photos :)

2 people like this

Oh, you go to lovely places!  Thank you for taking us along and sharing the food - visually, at least.  :B

2 people like this

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Yes, thanks for taking us along. Loved it all.

1 person likes this