• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mass produced lagers

rstarobi

Sprecher Black Bavarian is a nice schwarzbier but it isn't really mass produced. It's brewed (they would say 'craft brewed') in Milwaukee and may be available as far away as Indianapolis or possibly Cincinatti. You can find it reasonably easily from the Twin Cities to Chicago.

Another midwest lager worth mentioning is Point Bock from the Stevens Point Brewery. Similar in style to Shiner Bock, a bock beer brewed to appeal to a wide audience, perhaps a bit more smooth than what you find the small run breweries produce as 'bock.' Both Point and Shiner Bocks are worth a look.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Carta Blanca is a great mass produced beer. Avoid the lime and enjoy the maltyness and crisp hoppy finish. If you have one that traveled well, it will have a decent head with fine bubbles.

We used to drink awesome Tres XXX in Mexico, but it seems to have vanished. :angry:

Raspoutine,

Just got around to reading your post, but the Harp I get in New Jersey is definitely brewed in Canada. Says so on the label. Wish I had a bottle here now, but haven't had harp in a few months. Is it possible that the beer you had was an old sample?

John the hot dog guy

• 3 weeks later...

What's "mass produced"? Over 100,000 bbls. a year? Over 1,000,000? And what's "lager"? Pilsner knock-offs like Bud and Heineken and Corona, or ANY lager?

Assuming the million barrel mark and light, fizzy beer as lager...My votes go for:

Pilsner Urquell

Yuengling Lager

Fresh draft Heineken

Singha

Sam Adams Boston Lager (east coast production, preferably draft)

If we can go smaller production, my vote would be for Augustiner Edelstoff, one of the best liter-after-liter beers I've ever found. And Penn Pilsner's not bad either, Penn Dark's even better.

Lew

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

Fresh draft Heineken

The first time I had Heineken on tap, I didn't know what it was. Someone handed me a glass and I didn't know what beer was in it. It was really tasty. I was surprised to learn that it was Heineken, since my only previous Heiny experience was skunked out of a bottle.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

sierra's sole concentration is on biere production vs anchor steam's larger product line: beer, gin & possibly other specialty items i am unaware of.

Sierra does have a line of mustards if that counts. On the Anchor front, I recently got a mini 1 on 1 tour of the brewery and got to check out the stills in the basement. This is definately a sideline and I don't think it affects the quality of Anchors beers.

I will also add my vote for Pilsner Urquell with an honorary mention for Tsing Tao which I think is surprisingly good as the default chinese restaurant beer. Not on the mass production scale, Lagunitas in California makes a nice pils.

Back in my college days when my social life forced me to pass a fair amount of bud/the beast/etc. across my micro-brew taste buds the German cousin of one of my roomates shared a bizarre trick with us. The 'Dirty One' involved adding a small splash of Coke to your mass market lager. This darkened the color a bit and seemed to cut thorugh some of those "alternative grain" flavors but we may have just been drunk :hmmm:

Nathan

For consistency, I'll go with Yuengling or Rolling Rock among the domesics though neither is my first choice if some good local or craft brews are available. Any of the mass-produced Canadian brews is fine in that situation as well (Blue, Canadian, Moosehead, Kokannee, but NOT Molson Golden).

Pilsner Urquell CAN be quite good, but has anyone else had as much trouble with skunky/spoiled bottles of that beer as I have? Even on tap the stuff seems to taste a bit off quite often. I guess it doesn't handle the trip well. Of course, part of me is ruined on that beer as well since I had it in the Czech Republic in bars and from a barrel at the very brewery itself in Pilsen (which is where the Plisener style gets its name), so any sip has to compare with those memories. As you can imagine there's no contest.

Brooklyn Brewery has some great products, but I don't know if they really qualify as "Mass Produced"

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since this post is still making the rounds, I will have to weigh in with fresh PU being at the top of the list, Yuengling lager, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned one of my all time favorites, brewed by Old Dominion, Tupper's Hop Pocket Pils!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Fresh draft Heineken

The first time I had Heineken on tap, I didn't know what it was. Someone handed me a glass and I didn't know what beer was in it. It was really tasty. I was surprised to learn that it was Heineken, since my only previous Heiny experience was skunked out of a bottle.

I totally agree with that. Heineken has such a skunky tin-like taste from a bottle, but it tasted great at the Brewery